Somerleyton Bridge

IEatFish

Evening, third week into boating and enjoying it. :default_biggrin: We are heading to the Waveney Centre next Sunday from Brundall and have 9ft air draft. Looking at the bridge height on the published data with high water and the height clearance can anyone give me a steer on approx current clearance levels at low water? And assuming we are too high what is the current status on the bridge being opened; I am getting mixed reports at the moment on the efficiency and timing of openings. With thanks. 

Efficiency of bridge openings tends to depend on how hot it is. At this time of the year a hot spell can play havoc, though other engineering factors can take their toll. I’m relying on memory here, but I think Somerlayton has a clearance of about 8’ or so at mean high water.

If you need to be fairly sure it will open you need to aim to be there by about 10.30 (depending on just how hot it is) from memory tidal range is just under 3'.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Average summer high water clearance (according to Aweigh) is 8’6”.  However, wind, rain and other factors can affect that.  Given the issues with both Reedham and Somerleyton bridges during the summer months when the temperature is higher, I’d aim to go under a couple of hours either side of low water.  Of course, if the bridge is operational, it can be swung to allow you to pass, although the timings are governed by the train timetable.

Sunday trains in both directions are due at Somerleyton at 8.37 then every two hours till 16.37 HOWEVER there are no trains on Sunday 16th due to engineering work at Brundall   https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/service-alterations/norwich-great-yarmouth-and-lowestoft-62

Unless there engineering trains from the work on that part of the line on Saturday it is likely the bridge will be open all day (The signal box there can even be left un-staffed as there is foot access to the station unlike Reedham)

Reedham remained operational all day today (Sun 9th) as temperature a little lower

10 hours ago, IEatFish said:

Cheers all - really helpful. 

At just over 9 foot it’s gonna be exciting. Mrs IEatFish asked if we could let some air out of my tyres......how do you respond to this!! 

Tell her to eat a lot more fish the night before and a few more chips!  😉

On Friday we waited from before 11.00 am to a little past 7.00 pm for the bridge to open, several of us (six at one stage) waited all day for it to open, two needed 9 foot clearance, they managed to get under about 6.15 pm another boat who needed 10.00 foot and my self at 9 foot 8 inches waited until 7.00 pm, I could have scraped under just as the bridge opened.

This bridge needs money spent on it or just fit the summer rails, which I believe are still on the track to be used.

Regards

Alan

I think I will be out one evening this week with  a straight edge and tape measure and will measure the height exactly.  However Mrs IEatFish always says I always struggle between inches and cm so will double check this.:default_blink:

I actually have a folding radar arch (I think that's the terminology)  on my boat but looks a mare to drop as the roof canopy framework and canopy is part of it, however rather than a forced 8 hour wait I think I may have a fiddle with this in the mooring to see how this works.  So if you do see a boat with a stuck down radar arch you know who it is......

• Like 1