Sunken Day Boat

Just seen the following from BA on Facebook:

"Urgent Boating News - There is a sunken day boat on the River Bure just upstream of Black Horse Broad. Rangers are currently on site marking the hazard and working with the boatyard to remove the vessel. Please navigate with extreme caution if you are in the area."

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Thanks 1

I did wonder. Surely it's got to be pretty difficult to sink one of them though. Clouted the post coming out of Blackhorse maybe?

Yes, it's on Twitter too. Wonder what the story is behind that? 

• Like 1

There is insufficient information about the incident so, just to assist you all I shall start the speculation.

Given the proximity to Wroxham I think it likely that somewhere had probably irresponsibly supplied copious quantities of strong Beer, strong Cider and some sherry for the ladies. The boat being only suitable for half the number on board became unstable when all the kids (the ones not drinking the cider that is) all rushed to one side to see the heron being pointed out to them.

As it happened, it wasn't a heron but a swan, it was the long neck that confused them.

The skipper was distracted when opening  his fourth tin of Special Brew, by the !/4 mile notice and had just set the thing flat out.

The tragedy occurred because the helm didn't see the paddle boarder who was taking evasive action to avoid the swimmer.

All this was witnessed by a motor-sailor on the wrong side of the river.

Ok guys, over to you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

I have just been trying to "thank" Maurice Mynah for a post he made which I though most appropriate, but it has since disappeared.
No doubt we will be allowed to know why, in due course, since the thrust of his post was moderation, in itself!
I suspect until the level of severity is known, it wasn't quite appropriate?

Doesn't give much away but this is it. Its a 'public' page so assume its OK to reproduce it here. 

Hemsby Broads Rescue was paged today at 1600 to reports that a vessel had sunk on Little Broad Hoveton, with persons in the water. Also paged were Bacton and Winterton Coastguard teams.

With a full crew and all the appropriate equipment for this type of job, we proceeded to Hoveton with our Broads Rescue unit. On route, we were pleased to learn from Humber Coastguard, that the persons in the water, with assistance from the Broads Authority, had been pulled to safety and that representatives from the boatyard were also on scene and had full control of the situation.

With no life in danger and everyone being safe and well both Hemsby and the Coastguard teams were stood down. We returned to base and were back on service by 1700.

Thanks to all the crew who attended the incident and to the crew members who remained at the station to help with the clean down and preparation for the next emergency.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

With the good news confirmed that no one came to harm it would be interesting to know what happened without judging anyone involved. They are stable little boats and rather than trying to guess it would be good to know how it came to sink.

• Like 4

it would take a lot to hole one of those day boats below the water line, and having sailed all over that area the only possible point would be in the entrance to the Broad, there's a couple of hidden  stumps  under the water on the left after the gate as you go in.

My guess however ...failure of the raw water inlet, and the grockles not knowing how to shut it off..

13 minutes ago, TheQ said:

My guess however ...failure of the raw water inlet, and the grockles not knowing how to shut it off..

The word 'grockles'  is so disparaging ,    we need our tourists in this area.   I wish people would not use that word to describe our visitors.    I have heard it used in Bournemouth by the locals about visitors.   Not nice.       

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I'm from the west country, via many places, it's the normal term for tourists,  If you Choose not to like it . fine..

no different from them talking about NFN or Norfolk webbed fingers..

People I know who live in the west country believe the word originated there. It didn't, it comes from a comic strip in the 'Dandy' - Danny and his Grockle, which was a dragon like creature. This comic strip was based on a an earlier strip in the "Rover" in the 1920s which also included a Grockle. 

• Thanks 1

These days at least it is always used in a derogatory sense, which is a shame.

Does anyone even know if the hirers were visitors? It may be the most likely situation but I know several local people who like to take a day boat out occasionally.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I'm from the west country, via many places, it's the normal term for tourists,  If you Choose not to like it . fine..

no different from them talking about NFN or Norfolk webbed fingers..

Many people with "syndactyly" - the medical term for webbed digits - would take exception to their condition being spoken about disparagingly.