Mud Weight With Windlass

chillipepper

Hi All,

We have just moved our boat over to the Broads and are wondering it it's safe to swap the anchor for a mud weight.  is there any danger of overloading the windlass as the mud weights are much heavier than the anchor now fitted.  The boat is a 8.3m sport cruiser and we would like the option of mud weighting occasionally in a broad. 

Any advice appreciated ,

Thanks

We have a plough anchor and electric winch plus 18kg mudweight. The plough is held reasonably securely on the top pulley and surround. I would be reluctant to let the mudweight swing around off the same top pulley.

I keep our mudweight in the anchor chain locker on the foredeck with a seperate rope to "chuck" it (see thread on mudweighting on Bargate).

Hope that helps

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

the biggest part of the problem is breaking the suction, you may find that reversing away from the mudweight will achieve this (or if deployed when stern moored driving forward, as from experience i know that mudweight doesnt want to shift at first when you are pulling on it, I find taking a gentle strain and applying pressure slowly achieves that, then once free the rest is easy. mind you it is the same with an anchor, you are pulling the boat until the anchor is up and down.

Hi All

Thank you for all of your replies, very helpful !

Our windlass is electric (Lewmar H600) it would appear an 18kg mud weight will be suitable for our Rinker 250 so we'll add it as soon as we can get one.  out of stock at the moment around the broads but should be available in a week or two.   We'll be venturing from the river Yare up to the Bure in a week or so so do give a wave if you see us.  We have used hire boats over the last 15 years or so and are really enjoying owning our own boat.

Thanks again

Chilli Pepper