Busy Times , Full Bins

CambridgeCabby

Not really sure what all the fuss is about apart from the mess of course!

Rubbish from hire boats is commercial waste as it is generated from a commercial operation. The hire boat yards should be made to pay for the mess their customers make. It is about time that  large businesses were made to pay their way rather than just pocketing the profits at the expense of Council Tax payers or private owners tolls.

As for the BA, why have the hire yards been given a toll payment holiday due to Convid? It is not the BAs responsibility to support businesses, that responsibility lies with other government agencies.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Heron said:

Rubbish from hire boats is commercial waste as it is generated from a commercial operation. The hire boat yards should be made to pay for the mess their customers make. It is about time that  large businesses were made to pay their way rather than just pocketing the profits at the expense of Council Tax payers or private owners tolls.

As for the BA, why have the hire yards been given a toll payment holiday due to Convid? It is not the BAs responsibility to support businesses, that responsibility lies with other government agencies.

Not quite sure where you are coming from here, all yards be they private marinas or hire yards pay for their rubbish disposal through private contractors plus they pay commercial rates, it was the EU that decided to designate boat waste as commercial waste and that was what the local authorities jumped on to remove facilities that have always been available, they have a duty to provide facilities for and the collection of domestic waste which is what private boats in particular and arguably hire boats produce, the issue is the ability of private owners to challenge this, what is not right is to pass a service the various authoritys should be responsible for on to individuals especially when sanitatiion and contamination are in question.

Duty of care and public health are the question here not £££s 

Fred 

• Like 5

The biggest problem with recycling bins is getting people to put the right stuff in them it's a problem councils across the country have .example would be if a container or bins was placed for paper and cardboard and someone put a few bags of household black bags inside it would render that bin as contaminated from a recycling point of view and could not emptied on to the recycling bin truck - if it was mixed in  the recycling transfer centre would then reject the whole load on the vehicle and rather the paying for the product would administer landfill tipping fees - it's cheaper for councils in many cases just to simply remove recycling bins that are constantly being contaminated , bin trucks normally average 10 to 11 tonne loads tipping fees would in the region of three and a half grand per load for landfill 

Finny

6 minutes ago, finny said:

The biggest problem with recycling bins is getting people to put the right stuff in them

I'm sure that's true but if my local recycling centre is anything to go by then I'd suggest the next biggest problem is the management that has created a culture of unhelplessness at recycling centres. On top of that our local collection services are distinct from the sorting centres. I can only describe the attitudes of management as being ones of sheer bloody mindedness. A recent example for me concerned three broken bricks that I had dug out of my garden. Sheer audacity on my part, I had put them in my black bin, you'd think that I had had unnatural relations with the Mother Superior thus my bin was left un-emptied. I phoned the relevant council office to be greeted by an aura of aggression and sheer outright pettiness. I was immediately told that I had put builder's rubble in my bin!! Three broken bricks that I had dug out of my garden, I should have taken them to my local recycling centre for disposal! Sod that, thinks me, so I put them in a shopping bag and pushed them deeper into the bin so they weren't visible. It worked, a fortnight later my bin was emptied! I am diligent with my blue recycling bin and equally so with my black non recycling bin but I hadn't bargained on the brain-dead jobs-worths that three bits of brick so upset. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yes Heron it is the BA's responsibility to support boat business while not giving a direct subsidy giving a toll holiday to hire business makes good sense if this enables them to stay in busyness  so as be able to get tolls in subsequent years rather then let them go bankrupt and have no tolls the next year, plus raise the local unemployment level we the private secture could then end up paying double, the inferstructure would still need maintaining for ten boats as well as  hundred, a Little magnanimity now will have its rewards in latter years. John

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

And that pretty much sums up the situation nationwide.

The attitude of local and municipal authorities of all colours now is we are there for their benifit not they are there to serve.

Fred

At a committee meeting of the Broads Society, when the CEO of an unmentionable local authority had been invited to attend, a BS member asked how that authority viewed itself? It was suggested that they were actually public servants, that did not go down well, as you might imagine. Their roll was not one of servitude, that much was made abundantly clear and, to a degree, I do understand that. However, as with all public authorities, we are their customers and I remember making that clear to the CEO although I'm not convinced that he agreed. Accountability really is the issue but that does seem to have been forgotten by all too many of our public & civil servants, and especially unelectable quangos. I suppose the clue is in the word 'authority', not just as in Broads but also in municipal and local. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Heron said:

At last BA Members meeting 24th July they were told that Hire Tolls were coming in to the revised schedule & they would be given an update on 25th Sept (We can all now watch the meeting "live" )

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

And that pretty much sums up the situation nationwide.

The attitude of local and municipal authorities of all colours now is we are there for their benifit not they are there to serve.

Fred

Whilst I fully agree that common sense is thin on the ground in most cases there is an underlying reason. Take Peter's bricks .last year I had to rectify the damage caused by a resident who took the time and trouble to chop a 3ft concrete fence post into small sections then hide them under his household waste - as a result and in this case they jammed the packing mechanism blowing the hydraulics on both packing arms- no problem it just meant the the other 1200 other residents was not having a collection that day .......oh and buy the the way these packing arms cost 5k each the total repair bill was 13k .but that ok it's the councils money ............hang on a sec ?.....or is it really your money ?

Finny

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

Would that be because its a council controlled public staithe, I believe the BA only oversee the moorings.

Fred 

Loddon Parish Council now maintain the Toilets SNDC empty the Litter Bins daily since the Eurobins were removed mostly due to the excessive misuse by locals. Also Pyes Mill

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bytheriver said:

Loddon Parish Council now maintain the Toilets SNDC empty the Litter Bins daily since the Eurobins were removed mostly due to the excessive misuse by locals. Also Pyes Mill

I think Loddon have it absolutely right, smaller bins emptied daily are a godsend to boaters. The Pyes Mill bins are not large either but plenty big enough for boaters/picknickers waste. It’s places like Potter that are a let down, where they secure the bins’ lids so boaters can’t put any more than a sweet paper in!

• Like 1

On 15/08/2020 at 10:32, annv said:

Yes Heron it is the BA's responsibility to support boat business while not giving a direct subsidy giving a toll holiday to hire business makes good sense if this enables them to stay in busyness  so as be able to get tolls in subsequent years rather then let them go bankrupt and have no tolls the next year, plus raise the local unemployment level we the private secture could then end up paying double, the inferstructure would still need maintaining for ten boats as well as  hundred, a Little magnanimity now will have its rewards in latter years. John

The revised schedule for hire craft tolls has been published somewhere & by the next BA Meeting on 25th Sept all will be revealed (& we can all watch & listen on-line)

I did overhear the guys emptying the bins at lodden complaining that someone had rammed a full bin bag in and got it wedged, they said, why dont they just put it next to he bin? now i can see both sides of that coin, if you leave a bin bag next to the bin, its untidy and you dont know if it will be left because it wasnt in the proper bin, but leaving it beside make the bin mens lives easier.

1 hour ago, grendel said:

I did overhear the guys emptying the bins at lodden complaining that someone had rammed a full bin bag in and got it wedged, they said, why dont they just put it next to he bin? now i can see both sides of that coin, if you leave a bin bag next to the bin, its untidy and you dont know if it will be left because it wasnt in the proper bin, but leaving it beside make the bin mens lives easier.

Rather a case of damned if you do and damned if you don’t I guess!

When we were there I gave my bag of rubbish to one of the chaps emptying  the staithe litter bins, he said just put it next to the truck.

My personal opinion is that the trade bins should never have been removed from any of the locations on the Broads, it should not be down to who pays for the service, at the end of the day it is a tourist location and the last thing we need is rubbish left all over the place.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

When we were there I gave my bag of rubbish to one of the chaps emptying  the staithe litter bins, he said just put it next to the truck.

My personal opinion is that the trade bins should never have been removed from any of the locations on the Broads, it should not be down to who pays for the service, at the end of the day it is a tourist location and the last thing we need is rubbish left all over the place.

Regards

Alan

With funding for support of the tourist industry post Covid19 being channelled  via local authorities maybe that budget could be used at least as a temporary measure. I suspect that with little saving to be had from the domestic waste budget & County Councils wanting to be paid for disposal of boat waste from 2014 in some areas it ticked a big box at the time - There is a lot of competition on councils for officers (and councillors) to make savings in their departments.

13 minutes ago, Bytheriver said:

With funding for support of the tourist industry post Covid19 being channelled  via local authorities maybe that budget could be used at least as a temporary measure. I suspect that with little saving to be had from the domestic waste budget & County Councils wanting to be paid for disposal of boat waste from 2014 in some areas it ticked a big box at the time - There is a lot of competition on councils for officers (and councillors) to make savings in their departments.

Having worked in finance on my local council I can say there is also a lot of wasted finance in the rush to spend the full budget allowance at the end of the financial year, better planning would spend this money where it is of most benifit to the community.

Fred

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RumPunch said:

With the recycling issue, a lot of the problem is there are so many different 'rules' around the country that visitors my not know 'ours'.

I just had a week in Devon and we had at least 6 different bags / bins on the go

Ian I fully agree with you, there should be a national policy not only on the colour of the bins but also what can be placed in them. I have been to Devon many times staying in holiday lets, it is a case of reading what can be placed in each type of bin; which of course was totally different from at home. I can not remember the colour of the bin but all garden waste and food waste could be placed in that bin. Some holiday lets paid for any waste being put in bags to make it easier for their customers. 

Regards

Alan

20 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Ian I fully agree with you, there should be a national policy not only on the colour of the bins but also what can be placed in them. I have been to Devon many times staying in holiday lets, it is a case of reading what can be placed in each type of bin; which of course was totally different from at home. I can not remember the colour of the bin but all garden waste and food waste could be placed in that bin. Some holiday lets paid for any waste being put in bags to make it easier for their customers. 

Regards

Alan

Since China and the far east have stopped taking contaminated recycling materials the penny has finally dropped that co-mingled collections are of low value The UK paper mills don't want material contaminated with residue from bottles & cans and bits of broken glass the glass makers have to be paid to take glass that has come from mixed collections about the only ones who have less preference is the can re-cycling sector.  The Government are concerned but naturally the councils are waiting for government to pay for the required infrastructure including for food waste as there is sometimes a shortage of feed-stock to the bio- digesters but collection is expensive

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Regards

Alan

You dont need to travel that far every borough in London has different policys and systems even when they use the share the same disposal facility.

Fred