All Aboard The Eurostar!

Vaughan

Any one want to buy a couple of tickets for this afternoon? I'll start the bidding at €1000 each. Still cheaper than British Airways today, so I hear!

I am sorry but I can't help but laugh about this. Surely anyone with any foresight could have seen this French quarantine coming about 2 weeks ago.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Vaughan said:

Surely anyone with any foresight could have seen this French quarantine coming about 2 weeks ago.

Anyone with half a brain should have seen short notice travel problems for anywhere for the rest of the year  coming 6 months ago let alone 2 weeks ago, travel by all means but don't start whining when an issue crops up FFS!

I see sympathy is very thin on the ground..... There's plenty to do and see in UK and our guys need the business.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MauriceMynah said:

Nope, I didn't see it coming. :-)

I think we mixed up our halves of brain MM, I've spent a week sampling local beers and trying to get my replacement phone to work. Have you been doing woodwork and walking beagles by any chance?

Not caught up with the news Vaughan, are you and yours still safe?

We're very well, thanks Tim. We live in rural south west France where there is no virus (yet) but I think France's figures have gone up because they all set off from Paris to the Mediterranean beaches, like lemmings, at this time of year and I think they are carting the virus around with them! I don't suppose we shall see any improvement until they all go back to what they call work.

We are resigned to staying away from England for as long as it takes - maybe next spring - as it is just not worth the hassle of trying to travel. Meantime my daughter and family are enjoying our boat at weekends!

• Like 10

So if I come back from a trip to France, Spain, Portugal, The Netherlands and a number of other countries I have to 'quarantine' for 14 days.
However should someone from the 'locked down' parts of the UK are seemingly free to visit anywhere in the UK , potentially infecting people in the areas where they are staying ! Wht the difference ?
Worrying for those of us in holiday resort areas of the country . Here in Norfolk we have one of the lowest incidences of Co19 in the country. If we see a spike we will know why .

It's them coming OUT that concerns me , not Visiting them. Why would you ?
Whilst they are supposedly locked down, many are crtainly ignoring the restrictions and taking holidays !

England's coronavirus hotspots
Blackburn with Darwen, Oldham, Leicester, Bradford, Calderdale, Pendle, Trafford, Manchester, Rochdale, Tameside, Salford, Kirklees, Stockport, Burnley, Bolton, Bury, Hyndburn, Preston, Rossendale, Wigan, Luton, Swindon, Northampton, Peterborough, Sandwell, Bedford, Wakefield, Oadby and Wigston, Eden.

Source: Public Health England

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

If you can find somewhere to stay! Tent retailers are having a record year.

the campsite here at geldeston is full to overflowing, I was just chatting to some locals and they said the canoe hire place there had taken so many bookings he realised he didnt have enough canoes and had to buy some more, people I chatted to yesterday were enquiring where to hire a day boat without pre-booking, as everywhere they had tried was fully booked, so yes its very busy out there with people holidaying in the uk.

• Like 2

I have a feeling that there may be a lot of second hand tents and caravans for sale later this year!

This latest quarantine is an interesting one. We have a holiday booked to Corfu at the end of October. It was booked nearly a year ago before Covid19 had been Heard of. At the moment the number of cases is low in Greece and we should be able to go, and since the foreign office advice says it is ok to go, my insurance probably wouldn't cover me to cancel anyway. I can see it would be easy to fall in to a trap of getting out there and then having to Isolate when we get back, but not being able to cancel (without losing the money) because the FO advise was ok to travel up to the point of departure.

David

8 hours ago, Vaughan said:

We're very well, thanks Tim. We live in rural south west France where there is no virus (yet) but I think France's figures have gone up because they all set off from Paris to the Mediterranean beaches, like lemmings, at this time of year and I think they are carting the virus around with them! I don't suppose we shall see any improvement until they all go back to what they call work.

We are resigned to staying away from England for as long as it takes - maybe next spring - as it is just not worth the hassle of trying to travel. Meantime my daughter and family are enjoying our boat at weekends!

Good to hear you're well, Vaughan. You must be missing your family in the UK terribly, not to mention the frustration of being kept away from the Broads for a long while yet. 

• Like 1

I have a feeling that there may be a lot of second hand tents and caravans for sale later this year!
This latest quarantine is an interesting one. We have a holiday booked to Corfu at the end of October. It was booked nearly a year ago before Covid19 had been Heard of. At the moment the number of cases is low in Greece and we should be able to go, and since the foreign office advice says it is ok to go, my insurance probably wouldn't cover me to cancel anyway. I can see it would be easy to fall in to a trap of getting out there and then having to Isolate when we get back, but not being able to cancel (without losing the money) because the FO advise was ok to travel up to the point of departure.
David
We were booked to go to Greece and islands in four weeks time. Still on the okay list but because of our daughter's health problem we don't feel happy going away for any length of time. Thankfully our holiday insurance will cover the non refundable areas due to family health issues.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 2

Well the shocker this week was 300 cases in the M&S sandwich place. They didn’t mess about to be fair, there was a small cluster and the management bought in a testing and tracing company to go through with a fine tooth comb. 
They are blaming workers car sharing and going to the pub as much as disregarding safety measures in the plant. 
There are 2000 employees and a 24 hour operation going so they really met this problem head on; I hope they have succeeded.

• Like 2

I can't resist posting this, on the day that two more European countries are on the "naughty list" for quarantine and hundreds of thousands more Brits are scrambling for tickets on what is left of the airline industry.

Two days ago the French set up testing stations in a resort on the south coast and immediately, 105 people tested positive for the virus in the famous naturist resort of Cap d'Agde, near Beziers.  This is an entire seaside town where everyone goes around "in the noddy" on the beach, in restaurants, bars, supermarkets and, of course, in all the nightclubs - or "boîtes de nuit".

I find this laughably predictable, in that nothing will ever stop the French from closing down all their industries, factories, businesses and even, hotels and restaurants, in northern France, and charging off down the motorways, where those who have not died in pile-ups en route, can enjoy a month or more on a beach before they all have to go back to what they call work.

More importantly, none of those who tested positive for these tests were actual residents of the Cap d'Agde;  none of them were showing symptoms;  none of them were hospitalised;  all of them were under 40 and above all - there are no recorded deaths.  I have read that "Covid related" deaths in France, during the whole week that led to the imposition of quarantine by the UK, were eight.

I say again : eight.

Meantime this random test has resulted in the Prefect imposing the wearing of masks (anywhere outdoors) in the whole of the Cap d'Agde as well as the nearby village resorts.  This will include Le Boat's second largest base on the Canal Du Midi, at Port Cassafières.

I suggest that we will never come to terms properly with this virus until the Great Heaving Public stop insisting on charging off to exotic beaches for what they still think is their inalienable right to a Summer Holiday.

I am just left wondering, in all my innocence, what all these naturists do with their facemasks, when they are not wearing them?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I am just left wondering, in all my innocence, what all these naturists do with their facemasks, when they are not wearing them?

I’m sure there was a picture in the media fairly recently showing a guy wandering down a street wearing a face mask - but not on his face. I must say he had the physique to carry it off extremely well, many wouldn’t! :facepalm:

• Like 1