Hull/superstructure Join On An Ocean 30

Hello,

I have an Ocean 30, on which the hull/superstructure join needs attention. There is a slot between the deck and the top of the hull, which has wood (probably mahogany) packing, which is now completely rotten. A plastic strip has been screws up into the wood, and this is now falling off. The rubbing strake is bolted through the deck side, wood and hull top. I want to replace the wood, but don't have access to the bolts on the inside to undo them. I am thinking the best way to replace the wood is to cut slots in the new wood where the bolts are, and fix the wood in place with a polyurethane foam adhesive.   I am presuming that this is a fairly common problem with older GRP boats. Does this seem a reasonable approach? Has anyone used any alternative methods?

Thanks,

Ben  

Hi Ben

Not done this on my Ocean, but had the same issue on a Elysian I had some years ago. I cut the bolts out with a cutting disc and pushed them through the hull from the outside. I then put in place some 6mm ply strips sealed and fixed in to place with a polyurethane sealant and screws, lamenting as you go by packing out the space withe additional lengths of 6mm ply, to get the shape around the bow. A mahogany gunnel was then fitted screwing in to the glass and ply sandwich. That was about 12 years ago. Saw the boat the last year, this still looked good and is holding up very well.

I would keep away from the expanding foam as it gets everywhere and soaks up water like a sponge, this could lead to further issues down the line. 

Will do something similar on our Ocean but looking at the rubber D gunnel moulding, less maintenance,  an out of water winter treat..... 

Cheers 

Paul