How To Mudweight?

750XL

Hi all!

I've been lucky enough to visit the Broads a few times now (on Brinks Duet) with my girlfriend and our favourite part is mudweighting! We've mudweighted on Salhouse, Malhouse and South Walsham in the past and really enjoyed the peace and tranquillity of it - we've little to no interest using normal moorings with noisy neighbours in the mornings.

However, a question to you all if I may. Is there a right and wrong way to mudweight? I've read various methods online over the years. I vaguely recall being told never to 'throw' the mudweight overboard once on our handover, and always lower it into the water gently so just out of habbit I've always done this. Last time we mudweighted on South Walsham in a gentle breeze, when we woke up we weren't where I thought we would be... We'd been blown into the trees :default_icon_eek:

In future, should I lob the mudweight overboard to give it a bit of depth in the mud? And how much rope should I pay out?

Thanks, safe cruising! 

9 minutes ago, 750XL said:

Hi all!

I've been lucky enough to visit the Broads a few times now (on Brinks Duet) with my girlfriend and our favourite part is mudweighting! We've mudweighted on Salhouse, Malhouse and South Walsham in the past and really enjoyed the peace and tranquillity of it - we've little to no interest using normal moorings with noisy neighbours in the mornings.

However, a question to you all if I may. Is there a right and wrong way to mudweight? I've read various methods online over the years. I vaguely recall being told never to 'throw' the mudweight overboard once on our handover, and always lower it into the water gently so just out of habbit I've always done this. Last time we mudweighted on South Walsham in a gentle breeze, when we woke up we weren't where I thought we would be... We'd been blown into the trees :default_icon_eek:

In future, should I lob the mudweight overboard to give it a bit of depth in the mud? And how much rope should I pay out?

Thanks, safe cruising! 

:default_icon_wave: Hi.  I have always been told to 'lob' it in so that it sinks into the mud - however, be prepared to go astern when

leaving to break it out.  Enjoy.  Regards Alan (aka Happy)

How much rope is it advisable to leave out, assuming there's a moderate breeze out? Last time I seem to recall making sure it ran at a 45 degree angle to the boat, but in hindsight should have perhaps left more to stop us dragging into the bushes? :default_icon_mrgreen:

2 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Yes , as said chuck it out , but before doing so check it is tied to the rope and ensure your feet are clear of the rope too , also try and make sure you are moored facing into the wind 

and make sure the other end is tied to the boat... 

• Haha 1

I've read a lot of discussion on how long the rope should be and have some queries about mudweighting myself. On the boat we hired, the mudweight was attached to the boat by a simple D ring. There was no cleat front and centre on the boat, only two cleats port and starboard slightly back for mooring. So if you didn't want the full rope of the mudweight out you couldn't shorten it and attach it centrally, only off centre. So my question is, is this arrangement normal and is it OK to attach the mudweight off centre at the bow, or just use all the rope and keep it centre. 

There is no need to throw a mudweight, but it should be dropped rather than lowered. 

Think about what happens.

You have a riverbed that is soft mud and somebody carefully places a weight on it that is connected to a floating structure of a good few tons above that's subject to wind, current and other movement. 

The weight sits on the mud, barely indenting. The force above moves, the rope tightens and the weight is dragged along the mud, and, if the forces are right, it will dig in a little over time, maybe burying itself but because the floating force is above it, when it drags around, it also has the action of pulling it upwards.  This is why driving away from a stuck mudweight will help release it from the riverbed. 

Now, take the same apparatus and drop it. The weight falls through the water quickly, hits the mud and displaces it. The river forces and gravity now act on the dispersed mud and settle around it to suck the weight in. The cone shape of the weight helps to act as a barb. Instantly, the weight is doing its job. 

Don't tie off tight because when the water rises, the buoyant force of the boat will work to pull the mudweight free. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

It probably doesn't make that much difference whether you throw or drop. one thing that can help it to hold is to ensure you have plenty of line out. at least 3 x the water depth.

Don't forget to allow for any rise and fall of tide

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TostockTimonier said:

Does an electric windlass drop the mudweight quick enough then?

If the break is released and the weight drops with little friction from the winch, it's probably little different from just dropping over the side.

If the weight is just sitting on the mud, all you have is an 18kg weight at the end of a line with a multi-ton boat and a heck of a lot of force at the other end. 

All river / seabed anchors rely on gripping a small part of the planet to hold a vessel steady. If they simply relied on weight alone, they would have to be humorously heavy, probably relatively equal to the weight of the vessel they were expected to hold. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pastboating said:

I was told to let out all the available rope. When leaving I was told to shorten the rope as much as possible then move off slowly forwards to release the weight, moving astern has a tendency to sink the weight further into the mud.

Certainly, there is no need to shorten the rope on the mudweight for general use. 

Moving astern removes all possibility (however small) of catching the rope in the prop. If you think about the angles, it really doesn't matter whether you go forward or backwards as, ultimately, the force is upwards towards the boat. It is pretty-much to pull it into the mud further given the angles. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 750XL said:

Thank you for all the informative replies, it's really helpful for novice boaters like myself. Hopefully the wind won't be howling too much in October and we'll get the opportunity to mudweight a few times again 

Ask your boatyard for a second mudweight and toss it over the back to help hold you. Tie it on first!

I have rarely mudweighted but have anchored in some fairly brisk water and the theory is the first 5 metres should be chain as the anchor is just the stop at the end of the rode, the next 5 metres laying on the bed is what does the stopping and 3-4 times the depth at high tide plus the distance from water to bow roller is minimum to hold you, a bit of a blow needs more.

I'm not convinced a thrown mudweight makes any odds as the splash as it hits the water takes most of the energy out of the equation, and there's nowt worse than back pain.... You'll sleep better gently dragging across a broad when nothing really bad is going to happen as a result than you will with sciatica.

I am strongly against throwing the second mudweight off the back despite the accumulated knowledge Andy will have!!

A mudweight when thrown off the front will allow the boat to allows point to where the wind is coming from and as such will allow the boat to show a lower profile to the wind with the nose nearly always pointing into the wind, even if the wind shifts round. However if you lob one over the back this stops this happening and if say, the wind shifts 90 degrees, you are immediately presenting the whole of one side of the boat to the wind, thereby causing a significantly greater windage to the wind - IMHO a recipe for dragging in even a modest breeze!

If you must throw over a second mudweight surely it would be more effective over the bow - if possible to avoid a tangle bung it over so its several feet away from where you think the other one is and whilst they might tangle up when bringing it in, you will certainly hold better than having the second one out the back!!

Incidentally when deciding where to mudweight, always check from which direction the wind is blowing and if you can, head towards that direction and get some shelter, if you can, from reeds or trees or the side of the Broad. OK it can catch you out if the wind goes round 180 degrees but that rarely happens as much as that and even if it does it is usually a soft landing!!!!!

• Like 5

Marshman has presented an important  post. Read it and forget the rest.. You have not parked a car, pitched a tent, or a caravan. You will have moored a boat. Subject to weather, wind and tide. Indeed where you have decided to mud weight. Which broad are you on, how deep is the mud. 

You may find, in stormy weather, it may be necessary to have a quick peep outside at silly o'clock in the morning. You may have to move the boat. Do you really have to worry about mud weights for and aft. Of course not.

Weather conditions, present and future, your position on the broad is most important. 

If you are a Geoff Capes sort of chap and can tuck the weight under your chin, run along the deck and give it a mighty heave, then just be content to lower it into the water. 

• Like 2

I am strongly against throwing the second mudweight off the back despite the accumulated knowledge Andy will have!!

I too strongly agree with the above statement for the reasons Marshman lists.  Sometimes I have put a second mudweight out fwd if a strong blow is forecast.

Also take into account the 'Swinging Circle' with regards to other craft / obstacles, that is the scope of rope / chain deployed plus the length of your craft

I will admit to sometimes also deploying a second mudweight aft, but only if the forecast allows this and then I only do it for fishing and when using a directional aerial for the tv.  Nowadays we have an omni directional so no need to deploy an aft mudweight for a tv reception. 

Even when deployed for fishing, it is best practise to lift it before turning in for the night.  Forecasts have been known to be wrong on the odd occasion, I know form many painful experiences

Excellent post by Marshman :default_beerchug:

Griff

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

It is certainly true that by mudweighting bow and stern will make the vessel more susceptible to wind as it is unable to move with it.

But it does stop you losing the picture on the TV when the boat swings round . . .   :default_coat:

• Haha 1