Hire Boat Rental Charges 2021

andyg

By now I'm assuming most yards have a good idea of there covid procedures and things they may need to tweek for next season. They would also have an idea of the extra costs incurred on turnaround day in terms of manpower costs additional cleaning products equipment cost. So do we think we will see a hike in hire charges to help offset these cost. Or do we think in the face of a major recession they will try and absorb them? I notice two yards plan to launch at least two new boats for next season with maybe a third at ferry marina. Must be incredibly difficult times for all involved especially the small yards. We still need to see what this winter brings in terms of this bloody virus. On a positive note my wife's is a nurse in our local hospital here in South Essex and today they discharged there last remaining covid patient. So hopefully things are improving, well in our small part of the country. Fingers crossed for a good season next year. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, andyg said:

By now I'm assuming most yards have a good idea of there covid procedures and things they may need to tweek for next season. They would also have an idea of the extra costs incurred on turnaround day in terms of manpower costs additional cleaning products equipment cost. So do we think we will see a hike in hire charges to help offset these cost. Or do we think in the face of a major recession they will try and absorb them? I notice two yards plan to launch at least two new boats for next season with maybe a third at ferry marina. 

Price increase most likely, hopefully not by much.

This is interesting, as you would expect prices to go up irrespective of Covid, each year, to pay for increased costs. Around this time of the year, Hoseasons operate a "next year's booking at this years price" promotion, which usually goes on until October. Traditionally it used to end with the launch of the new brochure. So I thought I would have a look to see what's happening. I can only compare holidays in October this year with next, as there's hardly anything available in August and September now. As you can see from the images, it appears that the price promise is holding for the moment. In fact, curiously, Richardson's Broadsman A is cheaper next year than this. Who knows what's going to happen, but it looks like you can still get this year's rates if you book now. 

Broadsman 2020.jpg

Broadsman 2021.jpg

Serenade 2020.jpg

Serenade 2021.jpg

• Like 1

Surely this is none of our business. The boatyards compete on a supply and demand basis and currently demand is high. They have had a terrible time having lost half the season but now having to pay the high toll fees for each boat to get back on the water.

No point in querying costs for individual boats, as you can't change them. Just select and book that is best for you, look forward to a fabulous holiday and enjoy.

Compared to flights and hotels abroad, a hire craft on the Norfolk Broads is fantastic value as you are paying per boat not per person. Book your craft and enjoy your holiday, knowing that you wont have to self isolate for 14 days when you get home. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PaulN said:

The boatyards compete on a supply and demand basis and currently demand is high. They have had a terrible time having lost half the season but now having to pay the high toll fees for each boat to get back on the water.

You're right Paul. The point I was trying to make is that even with the current situation of having lost half a season, the boatyards seem to be resisting the urge to load the prices for 2021. That is completely at odds with the overseas travel market at the moment, making a UK boating holiday even more attractive. 

The prices are on the Hoseasons website for anyone to see by the way.

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

You're right Paul. The point I was trying to make is that even with the current situation of having lost half a season, the boatyards seem to be resisting the urge to load the prices for 2021. That is completely at odds with the overseas travel market at the moment, making a UK boating holiday even more attractive. 

The prices are on the Hoseasons website for anyone to see by the way.

Exactly the point I was trying to make David, clearly not very well. I have a brother who works for one of the big two package tour operators and they are currently planning a huge marketing campaign for next season the launch date keeps being put back I think its going to be very interesting to see what's on offer come next April and the impact covid is still having. As Paul has said if anyone is still required to quarantine on there return I fear that will be the end of my brothers company. 2021 really is make or break for some very big household names in the tourist industry. 

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Don’t forget the VAT reduction. I would have hoped that was resulting in quite a reduction in basic hire price for people booking at the moment. 

I'm not sure whether it applies to boats. I've seen two schools of thought - one saying it does and the other not. Something about it applying to fixed accommodation only. 

11 hours ago, PaulN said:

No point in querying costs for individual boats, as you can't change them.

I disagree with that because I don't have an unlimited budget simply to pick the boat that I'd like if money was no object. David's pricing example above is very valid. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

I'm not sure whether it applies to boats. I've seen two schools of thought - one saying it does and the other not. Something about it applying to fixed accommodation only. 

There was differing opinion on this but what I read was that one of the industry bodies appealed and it was extended to motorised accommodation as long as it involved overnight stays so wouldn’t apply to dayboats but should apply to boating holidays. 

• Thanks 1