Beccles Bound..

Perhaps part of the problem is that there is so much information on the Internet. It seems most people want bite sized info on any subject. Don't know if you've seen the abbreviation TL.DR which seems to have been invented for this phenomenon. It means too long - didn't read. Some Web pages have an abridged version under this, followed by the standard "briefing ". It always surprises me how many people message me from within my site, asking for help on subjects which I've spent much time on, and which are readily available to read, if they took the time to press a button or two. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I think this is where the internet really comes into it's own; the BA have a series of videos on Youtube as do a lot of hirers. Steering novices towards these would surely ease things and improve safety.

But I wonder how many newbies do bother. When a lot of ‘us oldies’ started hiring, there was no internet. We received booking confirmations in the post and a little later on booklets with information and advice in. I know a lot of folk, like us, used to pour over all that stuff and probably knew it off by heart by the time the holiday came round. (I feel quite nostalgic just thinking about those days! 🥺 ) With the internet, you have to physically make an effort to find all the relevant advice and it is spread all over the place, BA/Hire yards/forums/YouTube vlogs etc etc. Maybe something produced by the BA which has to be provided at some point by the hire yards? Then, what about private boats? I have seen any number of people talking about buying a boat although they have never been on the Broads. How can you ‘standardise’ something and persuade people to read it thoroughly? 🤔

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vanessan said:

How can you ‘standardise’ something and persuade people to read it thoroughly? 🤔

That’s the problem, you can’t. I’m pretty sure that a minority of first time hirers don’t even bother reading the skipper’s handbook provided, so sending them info in advance might not make much difference.
I’m a bit nerdy as far as holidays go, and scour the internet for information about the locality that we are due to visit. It was the same for the Broads. I watched the Videos that Richardson’s had posted on YouTube, the ones by the BA and Hunter’s Yard and lots of Captains Blogs. I read every scrap of info on lots of websites, including these two that I found most useful:

https://www.mynorfolkbroadsboating.co.uk/

http://www.broadsnet.co.uk/

Over the years I’ve collected all the info into a Word document, organising it by river, from upstream to downstream, so I can see at a glance the bridge heights, facilities, pubs and so on for the area we are passing through or mooring at. Maybe I should correct a ‘bit’ nerdy to ‘very’!

• Like 1

And as for lifejackets. Well, they are only for the 'Titanic moment' when the boat's sinking, aren't they ?
Sadly not, as recent events may have proved.  
Are hirers instructed on their proper use ?
We have the big bouncy orange ones from Silverline, but they gave a very thorough instruction on how they should be worn. I can't help but think people would be more inclined to wear jackets if they were the slimline inflatable type.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

I have to be honest here and admit that our LJs, once issued by the hire boatyard, went into a cupboard and came out again when we returned the boat. How many are brave enough to put their hands up and admit the same?? When we bought our own boat, I suppose it was then I became a more responsible being and bought a ‘slimline inflatable type’, as mentioned by MaceSwinger above, and started to wear it. As I get older and more crumbly I realise how vital it is! 
I think it is probably different for sailies, in most cruisers you’re cocooned and not as near the water as on a yacht so automatically feel safer, forgetting that you eventually have to move around on deck if you’re going to moor up or whatever. 
Something else that Andy (Freedom) mentioned in another post, remember the one hand rule - one hand for the boat and the other for the task. (ie always have one hand firmly gripping a handrail or something else suitable.) 

• Sad 1

Very brave to admit that. Ours are always to hand and even, many hires later, hubby wears his every time he’s getting on and off with the ropes when we moor up or leave a mooring. I’m at the helm and there’s only ever the two of us. I have mine on as well all the time if we’re helming up top on a fly bridge cruiser like Zircon Emblem last year. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, vanessan said:

When we bought our own boat, I suppose it was then I became a more responsible being and bought a ‘slimline inflatable type’, (snipped)

I think that is the key; to emphasise the responsibility you are undertaking when going on the water. Responsibility frightens people into thinking. 

Ultimately someone is going to suggest a compulsory competence course leading to a test or at least a diploma of attendance. Not me though.  :default_coat:

17 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Very brave to admit that. Ours are always to hand and even, many hires later, hubby wears his every time he’s getting on and off with the ropes when we moor up or leave a mooring. I’m at the helm and there’s only ever the two of us. I have mine on as well all the time if we’re helming up top on a fly bridge cruiser like Zircon Emblem last year. 

No, not brave. Look around when you are next on the rivers and see how many people are actually wearing LJs or Buoyancy Aids. 38 years ago when we first hired, we were young and much more carefree and clearly unaware of the dangers around us. No internet then you see, no social media discussing mishaps and tragedies. If we had started hiring more recently, we may well have been more circumspect. 
I have just been looking at Herbert Woods webcam. Noticed a day boat with 6 lads on, one at the helm and the other 5 standing on the front and roof of the little boat. LJs? Of course not! 

43 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Exactly how thety should be used on a cruiser. As has been mentioned, on a yacht, somewhat different, they need to be worn all the time except when moored.

• Like 1

I was reminded about the  ‘unusualness’ of people wearing life jackets the morning of the final day of our July holiday on Lustre. We had spent the night in the yard and were preparing to set off when a guy approached us asking to take our photo. He said he worked for the BA and one of his guidelines was to photo people wearing life jackets. He must have been scraping the bottom of the barrel. We aren’t the most photogenic bunch and we were rather unkempt having been on a Hunter’s boat for a week. I very much doubt that those photos will appear anywhere!

• Like 3

Guest Jayfire
2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I very much doubt that those photos will appear anywhere!

What nonsense Helen, I'm sure your photo's will be plastered all over the tinterweb and social media. Graham always struck me as being very photogenic :default_smiley-angelic002:

:default_rofl:

Oohh :default_hiding:

Guest Jayfire
1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Come on Jay. Admit it. You only think that because he’s got a Father Christmas beard.

:default_xmas4:

Ah ha, the lengths I'll go to bring Christmas to the forum :default_xmas3:

Just need me old marra, Malcolm to join the gang, I know Mrs SR is onboard already :default_biggrin:

Well done Mrs YM :default_icon_kiss:

:default_xmas2:

52 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Doh! Sorry Malcolm!

:default_hiding:

p.s. sorry about the the thread drift!

Is it any coincidence that Covid, Coronavirus and Christmas all begin with the same letter.  Had enough of all of them all already!!!🤨😖

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Guest Jayfire
5 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Is it any coincidence that Covid, Coronavirus and Christmas all begin with the same letter.  Had enough of all of them all already!!!🤨😖

Here he is, welcome along Malcolm, good to see you buddy 

I'M Never going to make light of what's going off for you right now but.... Merry Christmas Sir :default_xmas2:

4 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

Here he is, welcome along Malcolm, good to see you buddy 

I'M Never going to make light of what's going off for you right now but.... Merry Christmas Sir :default_xmas2:

Appreciate the concern, but I’m totally at ease with my current situation, mate.  In view of the direction our operation was going, with the worsening level of service to our customer and attitude towards the staff, taking the option of voluntary redundancy at least gave me the opportunity of leaving with my pride and integrity intact, whereas telling the management where to go with references to sex and travel could well have resulted in a different ending to my working life.

We now have the onerous task of trying to sort out the detritus that has accumulated over the past eighteen years we have lived in our current abode, in readiness for a move closer to where we now refer to as home.  This time next year, we hope to be settled in a bungalow, somewhere in Norfolk.  Why should I be sorry about that?

• Like 4

Guest Jayfire
3 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

This time next year, we hope to be settled in a bungalow, somewhere in Norfolk.  Why should I be sorry about that?

Can't fault you mate, and all the best to you :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

Glad to hear you only have 18 year of detritus Malcolm. We’ve lived in our current house for 34 years. The loft is stuffed, and we can hardly get into our garage (partly because we have an old 1967 Wolsey Hornet in it that hasn’t moved for years...anyone looking for a classic car that has only ever had two owners?).
I’m already thinking we’ll need to downsize soon, but dreading it!

• Like 2