Beccles Bound..

When solo helming i ALWAYS wear my life saver whilst underway or mooring , Katie wears hers when she goes to lower the mast for bridges , or goes onto the deck when underway. on the Southern waters we wear them as a matter of course , at all times.

A moments loss of concentration can cause one to fall overboard and a then a life saver can often live up to its name .

• Like 4

On 22/08/2020 at 12:26, YnysMon said:

That’s the problem, you can’t. I’m pretty sure that a minority of first time hirers don’t even bother reading the skipper’s handbook provided, so sending them info in advance might not make much difference.
I’m a bit nerdy as far as holidays go, and scour the internet for information about the locality that we are due to visit. It was the same for the Broads. I watched the Videos that Richardson’s had posted on YouTube, the ones by the BA and Hunter’s Yard and lots of Captains Blogs. I read every scrap of info on lots of websites, including these two that I found most useful:

https://www.mynorfolkbroadsboating.co.uk/

http://www.broadsnet.co.uk/

Over the years I’ve collected all the info into a Word document, organising it by river, from upstream to downstream, so I can see at a glance the bridge heights, facilities, pubs and so on for the area we are passing through or mooring at. Maybe I should correct a ‘bit’ nerdy to ‘very’!

That sounds like a useful document! Don't suppose you want to share...🙂🙂🙂. Weve been on the northern broads twice a long time ago. Southern next week with the kids! Excited if a little nervous. 

17 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

When solo helming i ALWAYS wear my life saver whilst underway or mooring , Katie wears hers when she goes to lower the mast for bridges , or goes onto the deck when underway. on the Southern waters we wear them as a matter of course , at all times.

A moments loss of concentration can cause one to fall overboard and a then a life saver can often live up to its name .

Then there are those who (in admittedly usually smaller craft ) refuse to use the kill cord !

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Yes, apologies. Holiday tales are the best!

Could be a long tale, been on board since March and ending at the end of October.. :default_biggrin: ...then the tale  "Winter Caravanning on the Costa's" begins... :-)