Day Boat Hire And The Disease

WasJono

2 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Any gov irrespective of leadership or party can and could only act on the advice given by the experts , and irrespective of party it is highly likely that the same experts would have been called into action .

It's important to realise that the experts do not make policy decisions, the government does. There has been clear suggestion that the government did not act on the the advise properly or swiftly enough. It even installed Cummings into the experts forums. Yes, the experts might have well been the same regardless of rosette; those that process their recommendations had different agendas. I don't see many experts heading up the replacement to PHE.....

Point of order here. 
sweating sickness 

Spanish flu

two outbreaks that came killed and disappeared and we have no real idea the makeup of these outbreaks.

covid is not unusual. 
throughout time we have been battling virus and bacteria winning here and losing there (herpesvirus) most we can’t cure and humanity over time develop herd immunity.
Also this was forecasted. It was a matter of when not if. 
Because this normally happens to those countries far away we forgot to be wary. 
Don’t forget without penicillin we died of toothache. 
This is the normal state of affairs for most living things on earth and I think covid has reminded us that we still have not conquered nature   

• Like 5

Andy - not entirely sure it needs an "expert" to run PHE!

For what its worth, I think too many "experts" think they could run any business - cue the NHS!!! It probably needs a hard nosed business man but its probably just too large even for that to happen now!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cheesey69 said:

From personal experience it’s not the army you need but distribution experts. 
The supermarkets. 
Sad fact the army is relatively too small now and when the supermarkets allowed cross stocking it really flowed. 

There was a simple solution to the PPE distribution issue and the army wasn't it. For a start the royal logistics Corp haven't got the right type of equipment. They are not set up for multi drop palletised delivery's it's as simple as that. We had entire pallet distribution network sat ideal with the likes of pallet express pallet network etc. They could of stepped in and had it up and running in a couple of days. As an ex logi myself I'm sure the guys worked there nuts off but army planning isn't as great as you may think. 

• Like 1

Amazon and some of the other big online retailers did their bit during the early days of the pandemic, using their logistical expertise.

Still amazes me looking at the tracking info for my Amazon Prime parcels... A lot start their journey in Germany or Italy, and arrive at my doorstep within 24 hours. 

Impressive 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 750XL said:

Amazon and some of the other big online retailers did their bit during the early days of the pandemic, using their logistical expertise.

Still amazes me looking at the tracking info for my Amazon Prime parcels... A lot start their journey in Germany or Italy, and arrive at my doorstep within 24 hours. 

Impressive 

I've worked in food distribution for over 30years, the advances that have been made in logistics are mind boggling. Technology has played a massive role in that,The European distribution network amazon are building to support there online prime business is very impressive indeed and second to none. We are just about to see amazon enter food retail with there amazon fresh product, and I know even the likes of aldi are looking over there shoulders. So we do indeed have  fantastic distribution networks throughout the UK that could of stepped up and helped pout. Let's face it during look down the government was paying the wage bill for all them drivers sitting about at home. 

22 hours ago, marshman said:

Andy - not entirely sure it needs an "expert" to run PHE!

For what its worth, I think too many "experts" think they could run any business - cue the NHS!!! It probably needs a hard nosed business man but its probably just too large even for that to happen now!!

I was commenting on the appointment of Dido Harding as chief of the REPLACEMENT of PHE having just had her head up the "incredibly successful" track and trace system that's been so good, it's been disbanded after 2 months. Probably best we don't look at her other "success stories" and links. Still, I am sure she's the best person for the job. Let's hope PHE2 is world beating. 

Sorry, too political or just fair comment? 

22 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

. .. . . . . . . . . and I think covid has reminded us that we still have not conquered nature   

And never will!!  I don’t recall the hysteria during the late sixties when the flu strain H3N2 killed over four million people.
Every few years we get news of a new virus strain, Avian, Hong Kong, Chinese, Spanish, SARS.  Why are we so surprised this time.  Just a Google the numbers killed by some of these and you may find the numbers quite startling.

Take whatever precautions you feel necessary and get on with living.  

• Like 5

On 25/08/2020 at 09:52, Mouldy said:

I don’t recall the hysteria during the late sixties when the flu strain H3N2 killed over four million people.

statistics for H3N2 or "Hong Kong Flu" report less than 1 million deaths, which is not that far from normal worldwide deaths at about 650k worldwide annually from flu or flu related illnesses. By comparison their have been 820k deaths from corona virus so far this year. 

14 minutes ago, Paul said:

statistics for H3N2 or "Hong Kong Flu" report less than 1 million deaths, which is not that far from normal worldwide deaths at about 650k worldwide annually from flu or flu related illnesses. By comparison their have been 820k deaths from corona virus so far this year. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_flu
It’s fair to say that the figures may not be accurate, however the numbers for the current pandemic are questionable too, bearing in mind that a proportion of the fatalities were potentially attributable to other causes.  
Personally, I don’t think that true numbers will ever be known.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_flu
It’s fair to say that the figures may not be accurate, however the numbers for the current pandemic are questionable too, bearing in mind that a proportion of the fatalities were potentially attributable to other causes.  
Personally, I don’t think that true numbers will ever be known.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1968-pandemic.html

beware the sensationalists who edit Wikipedia!

8 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

There are lies, damn lies, and then there is Wikipedia.

And the Daily Mail, Daily Express, The Sun etc.etc.etc.  Sensationalism sells papers and some people are stupid enough to believe the stories written.  Think back to March and who was chiefly responsible for panic buying and empty shelves?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

And the Daily Mail, Daily Express, The Sun etc.etc.etc.  Sensationalism sells papers and some people are stupid enough to believe the stories written.  Think back to March and who was chiefly responsible for panic buying and empty shelves?

It always amazes me that people seem to believe what they read in the tabloids. 
A friend briefly worked at the Daily Mail 30 years ago. 
Day 1.  Given a story. Made a couple of calls and went back to boss. “This story is wrong”

Boss “You’ve been told what to write”

Read your paper today and if it says “A close friend of the Princess said” that’s a made-up quote. If it’s “a neighbour said they were a quiet family” that’s a made-up quote. 
Tabloids have NO interest in the truth and if you complain they’ve lied about you, you get a call from a lawyer who points out that taking them to court will probably ruin you. 

• Like 4