Advice

Tony07

A lifejacket is not much use without a crotch strap as you can be on the bottom while it floats uselessly on the surface, an auto inflate one needs the inflater replacing every few years and a manual inflate needs the bottle checking at least annually, and all should have the bladder inflated once a year for 24 hours to check for leaks, if you wish to buy your own bear these points in mind.

I would rather use my own than a supplied one.

• Like 1

I doubt that a responsible boatyard would hand out lifejackets that weren't up to the job on inland waters.  What you might gain by buying your own would be comfort.

Hi Jenny when I said not much use I worded it wrong the jacket you get is just put over your head and you got one piece either side would I be better off with a full bodied jacket

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Be aware of the difference between a life jacket and buoyancy aid. 

A life jacket is deigned to right an unconscious body and keep the airways above water. They will typically have buoyancy on only the chest to ensure this and neck/head supports and be capable of 150n of buoyancy.  

A bouyancy aid is more to allow a MOB to tread water and even swim. The would not usually have the neck supports. 

We have a variety of foam aids and jackets ranging from actual jackets to "horseshoe" types that go over the head, sit on the chest which are tied to the chest with straps that criss-cross over the back. They perform the same function as a jacket-style one and are more useful for larger frames that cannot fit inside a jacket. 

The usefullness of all these is subjective to how they are fitted. Fitted badly, they are useless or a complete hindrance.

If you want to buy your own, we will be selling off some of ours shortly.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony07 said:

Hi Jenny when I said not much use I worded it wrong the jacket you get is just put over your head and you got one piece either side would I be better off with a full bodied jacket emoji848.png

Tony, that sounds like an auto inflation jacket - as long as the crotch strap is firmly done up it'll do the job. Crewsaver 150 Newton ones were what Her Maj gave me when I was fannying about offshore  - I forgot to give it back when I retired and, with a yearly service, is still doing me well.

• Like 1

Certainly a Crewsaver. Mine is a 150n auto. Comfortable to wear - and I always use the crotch strap !
Here is why .

Hi I’ve been looking on eBay for gas refills only seem to come from Australia expensive to post can you get refills in uk please

1 minute ago, Tony07 said:

Hi I’ve been looking on eBay for gas refills only seem to come from Australia expensive to post can you get refills in uk please

No problem at all .

https://www.lifejackets.co.uk/categories/69/crewsaver-fitment-rearming-kits

Just one example. Ebay ain't always the cheapest :default_biggrin:

• Like 1