Pointers For Things To Do For 3 Days

PhilsPotty

Hi, everyone. Haven't had a holiday on the broads for a few years. My wife and I are looking for any pointers please on things to do in these Covid times. We're staying near Loddon. Have a car. No boat. Keen walkers and explorers. Love picturesque villages and quirky places. Planning to do Potter Heigham, Acle and Wroxham. Maybe Great Yarmouth. If anyone has any links to apps (android) or websites for walks, etc. I would most appreciate it, please. Many thanks.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Hello and welcome to the forum. :default_icon_wave:

The gardens at Somerleyton House are worth a visit. And away from the Broads given you have a car, we enjoyed a visit to Bungay. 

Love visiting Potter Heigham and highly recommend a stop into Bridgestone’s for a snack or a meal. 

From being out recently and experience at home, my biggest advice would be to book at least a week ahead if you have anything you particularly want to do. It’s less easy to be spontaneous with all the reduced capacity and social distancing. 

Best thing of course is to buy an Explorer Map - OL40 is the one. Lots of very quiet walks around where you will be staying - its a quiet area particularly around Rockland and Surlingham. (Good pub at Surlingham Ferry)

Acle? Not a lot to see! Yarmouth - well I wouldn't bother!!! Its a brassy seaside town, long past its prime and that doesn't sound your scene! Norwich is a must though -you could find a spot to park in Loddon and catch the bus in! Save you worrying about parking!! Fast bus X2 stops in Loddon and Chedgrave!

Sounds as though you will be busy for just 3 days. Hardly relaxing though by the sound of it!!

• Like 2

Welcome.

I agree with the suggestion to buy an Explorer OS map. However, if you google Norfolk walks there are quite a few websites out there with suggested routes. Also, I found the Herbert Woods site particularly helpful, with links to details for a variety of walks all over the Broads:

https://www.herbertwoods.co.uk/norfolk-broads/walking/

• Like 1

We are just back from our annual two week stay in Loddon. Being car based means lots of options are available but for us the must do options every year are

Thorpeness Meare, excellent tea room next to the meare which serves the most wicked quiches you ever found, rowing boats on the meare itself, walk along the beach to Aldeborough. At present the seating at the tearoom is outside only so try and chose a nice sunny day. 

Carlton marshes nature reserve and Oulton Broad. There are a number of beautiful circular walks around the marshes and a path into Oulton Broad. Sadly time has not been kind to Oulton and it is a shadow of what it once was. The nicest tearooms have closed but there are still half decent ones in the park just avoid the cafe in the Boulevard. 

The Northern Broads, Wroxham, Horning, Ludham, Potter Heigham and Horsey and then usually drive back down the coast through Yarmouth. 

5 hours ago, marshman said:

Norwich is a must though -you could find a spot to park in Loddon and catch the bus in! Save you worrying about parking!! Fast bus X2 stops in Loddon and Chedgrave!

I think most of the Norwich Park & Ride sites are now back up and running, so that would be a good option..

6 hours ago, marshman said:

Best thing of course is to buy an Explorer Map - OL40 is the one.

Absolutey +1 to this! I took an OL40 with me this year for the first time; utterly useless compared to a Heron map for boating, but incredibly useful for once you're moored up. Wish I'd had it when I was solo a few years ago and got utterly lost trying to walk from How Hill to Ludham. I only wanted a pack of fags :facepalm:

1 hour ago, MaceSwinger said:

Absolutey +1 to this! I took an OL40 with me this year for the first time; utterly useless compared to a Heron map for boating, but incredibly useful for once you're moored up. Wish I'd had it when I was solo a few years ago and got utterly lost trying to walk from How Hill to Ludham. I only wanted a pack of fags :facepalm:

I bought an OL40, and with it you can use the os maps app and download an offline copy of the map to use on a tablet, i use this with a gps function to show me where i am, even if i dont have an internet connection.