Can I Get There?

FarmerTerryuk

Guest Jayfire
14 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Pubs are so overrated other than to save me having to cook a meal! Don’t see the attraction myself.

Ooh Jean, go easy my lovely. Some things can't be taken back once said out load :default_crying1animated:

:default_xmas2:

Guest Jayfire
2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

But what would you do for entertainment if the telly packs up? Can't imagine what Jayfire would get up to!  

I've quite clearly not made myself clear enough JM Sir, I'll work on that :default_norty:

Oh, and Mr JM, remember when you said I was occasionally very funny? Just thought I'd remind you again :default_smiley-taunt014:

:default_xmas2:

I believe its down to how fast the two rivers can empty into Breydon, if the yare is emptying or filling faster than the waveney, then i would imagine the new cut would flow one way or the other to compensate, but not necessarily in a predictable manner, it would be interesting to find if anyone has actually measured the flow and created a graph showing how it reacts in comparison to the tide times.

24 minutes ago, grendel said:

apparently according to my google search the tide always flows with the waveney, so whatever is happening on the waveney, is what the new cut is doing.

I've always found it to be totally fickle. Wind direction & force is a factor. I've had the blessed flow swap directions half way along! Perhaps the Waveney is the dominant factor, but not always. 

• Like 3

As others have said,  as a general rule  i've always found the New Cut to follow what the Waveney is doing. So when the Waveney is ebbing the New Cut flows from it and when flooding the Cut runs into it. The effect weakening the nearer to the Reedham end you get. What always surprises me is how little  effect the Yare seems to have at the Reedham end - considering how strong the current can flow on that river.

A greater hazard to navigation on the Cut can be the large seagoing boats that sometimes power down it at a rate of knots and set up sets of standing waves in the narrow waterway. Have witnessed this causing consternation to unsuspecting novice skippers and smaller boats  and to myself on occasion.

they can leave all sorts of problems in their wash - literally !

Slow Down - What's the big hurry .  We know its a boring bit of water...

• Like 2