Twin Throttle Syncing

Hi

Not sure if this is a stupid question , but is it possible to adjust twin throttles so they give the same revs at equal throttle positions. Currently my left thottle runs at less revs than the right one when pushed up equally, causing the boat to gently turn to the left. I then have to adjust the left throttle until the boat runs straight. Is there adjustment somewhere so I can set the throttles level and engines will rev equally? Thx

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I asked the exact question a while ago when we had Cerise Lady serviced and was told that no two engines run exactly  the same , especially when they are of an age  .

That said, they should adjust your throttles so they are balanced so your boat travels straight when they are in the same morse position 

Assuming cable / rod links (not cable) between throttles and engines surely it's just a matter of adjusting one / both linkages until level throttle positions give same revs?

50 minutes ago, Helian said:

Assuming cable / rod links (not cable) between throttles and engines surely it's just a matter of adjusting one / both linkages until level throttle positions give same revs?

It is and at that particular throttle position they will be spot on. As soon as you move to a different throttle position there will be a slight imbalance again. It's always a compromise though maintaining all linkages, cables, levers etc will help.

• Like 1

I was going to suggest looking at the rev counters but they are not necessarily set correctly either.  Trouble is, when you adjust them you don't know which of them was reading correctly!  Many times I have got on a dual steer boat to find that the rev counter in the saloon is not reading the same as the one on the flybridge.

One thing you could check is that the cables on both engines are attached to the same hole on the speed lever of the injector pump.  There are normally 3 holes to choose from.  That way both cables will have the same distance to travel.

It's always worth checking tachos against a digital tacho direct from the crank pulley, they are dirt cheap to buy and even if inaccurate at least it will be the same for each engine (they are usually spot on), once confirmed both tachos are ok maybe set the throttles together at normal river speed, idle should be ok as it's not the cables that set that, they will still be out at other throttle settings but closer in your normal range.

Mine are never in the same spot, one engine always uses more fuel, you just get used to it, I turned my helm gear by 180 degrees as one had a worn spot at sea cruising speed so would keep creeping back slightly, I figured they wouldn't be doing those revs for long periods in reverse so shouldn't have the same worn spot.

Hi Take the cover of throttle housing and check that the clamp that holds the outer casing is tight then check that locking nut on in cable at clevis pin is tight, then go to engines and do the same, if they need adjusting remove split pin from yok at throttle arm loosen lock nut and screw yoke in or out until the clevis pin just slides in dont do it to tight as this may influence the slow running tick over, if unable to adjust loosen the out clamp and slide outer cable on to the next ridge on outer cable. i take it both cable have the same resistance and are not loose when you push pull the inner cable if so new cables. John