Bbc Lience Fee

Poppy

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

More to it than that, Poppy. The BBC is wide open to criticism on a number of issues, not least that of deleting the words of traditional, patriotic songs. 

Sorry Peter, that won't play for me but I certainly take your point!!

52 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

More to it than that, Poppy. The BBC is wide open to criticism on a number of issues, not least that of deleting the words of traditional, patriotic songs. 

It won’t play for me either, starts then stops immediately. Agree with what ypu say though.

They can't include the lyrics as there will not be a live audience, yeah right.

I have a plan, project a recording on a big screen of the clip Peter has provided.

Usual BBC, they have become so scared  and PC I am suprised they haven't scapped the whole Proms.

A sad and pathetic organisation that is a shadow of its original self.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I have a plan, project a recording on a big screen of the clip Peter has provided.

That would be a very fitting tribute to Vera Lynn too.

That our country is a land of hope and glory is why so many people wish to come here, of that I'm sure.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

That would be a very fitting tribute to Vera Lynn too.

That our country is a land of hope and glory is why so many people wish to come here, of that I'm sure.

The must be sadly disappointed when they arrive.  Hasn' t lived up to that for at least ten years !

• Like 3

Does anyone actually think the BBC is living up to its charter to be impartial?

When you observe the number of rants from left of centre accusing it of right wing bias and the number of rants from right of centre accusing it of left wing bias; numbers which near enough cancel each other out; they must be getting things near enough spot on.

• Like 4

Lets get rid of the BBC. I hear! But what commercial broadcaster will make programmes for the Gaelic language speakers, Welsh language speakers, regional country specific programmes like BBC Scotland, The World Service, The News on long wave, support and broadcast Open University content, lord knows how many regional radio stations. etc, etc etc. Before the vast amount it spends on making world class natural world programmes.

There is more to the BBC than cr#p like East Enders and Strictly.

• Like 7

There are a whole lot of things the BBC annoy me about as well as bias reporting on the news with opinion added at every other sentence.

Why have so much news & discussion on BBC1 & 2 when they have the News & Parliament Channels

Why do BBC1 & 2 have to have their programming changed to allow sport when they could have a sport channel on BBC3 

Why do so many channels call news programmes a "Show"  Show to me means fiction or entertainment?

Have the BBC & others not realised that since digital with the exception of one or two areas on relay transmitters (and most people in those choose freesat anyway everyone has access to dozens of channels. Including many from outside the UK where we can choose to get other opinions and views.

Finally why do the BBC refuse to even comment on the Stock Exchange (UK & abroad) when it really is the barometer of all things financial (and is available on a US Channel)

I.m sure there is someone in the dungeons of Broadcasting House who has been locked away for 60 years still controlling the master switch as to what we can see & hear

6 minutes ago, Bytheriver said:

There are a whole lot of things the BBC annoy me about as well as bias reporting on the news with opinion added at every other sentence.

Why have so much news & discussion on BBC1 & 2 when they have the News & Parliament Channels

Why do BBC1 & 2 have to have their programming changed to allow sport when they could have a sport channel on BBC3 

Why do so many channels call news programmes a "Show"  Show to me means fiction or entertainment?

Have the BBC & others not realised that since digital with the exception of one or two areas on relay transmitters (and most people in those choose freesat anyway everyone has access to dozens of channels. Including many from outside the UK where we can choose to get other opinions and views.

Finally why do the BBC refuse to even comment on the Stock Exchange (UK & abroad) when it really is the barometer of all things financial (and is available on a US Channel)

I.m sure there is someone in the dungeons of Broadcasting House who has been locked away for 60 years still controlling the master switch as to what we can see & hear

Would that be bias to port - or starboard ? :default_norty:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wonder how much money/travel/environment is wasted every night just after 10 when for some reason, to report on what happened in Westminster today, it can only be reported by some poor s*d standing outside Westminster? If they employed faster pigeons maybe they could the text back to the studio in time? :facepalm:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bytheriver said:

Perhaps more of an indication of the content that is contained within, false advertising and all that, if they refer to it as a show they can deny any non factual content.

17 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I wonder how much money/travel/environment is wasted every night just after 10 when for some reason, to report on what happened in Westminster today, it can only be reported by some poor s*d standing outside Westminster? If they employed faster pigeons maybe they could the text back to the studio in time? :facepalm:

Name a TV outfit that doesn't do that !

There are so many ways to consume TV content these days that to require a licence to watch the BBC is an outdated relic from the days when the BBC was the only show in town and TV was a cutting edge luxury. Either the Government should be honest and call it a TV tax - probably not popular in the present climate of impending tax rises, or the BBC should become a subscription -based service on the lines of Sky or Netflix. This would give three main benefits i) it would make the BBC commercially accountable and ii) it would allow those who don't like or can't afford the BBC to watch TV but not take the BBC and iii) it would encourage the BBC to live within its means. No more bloated salaries for its so-called "talent". The BBC has done a lot of good things over the years, but recently I feel it has massively lost its direction. Barely a broadcast goes out that doesn't in some way serve the "BBC  agenda" and even its once famously impartial news reporting has become biased and highly selective.  High time for a change, I think. 

• Like 5

Television is not television anymore ... Especially the BBC 

News use to be news....  

Sitcoms ....

Dramas...

A very good mixture of all around Family entertainment on what use to be Only 3 channels... 

Now there’s hundreds channels and still struggle  to find a decent program of something new.. let’s face it I expect the majority of us watch UK Gold and watch good old proper tv.... What basically we have already payed for in the past...

Let’s face it the BBC is an out of date service and I for one wouldn’t care now if it stopped broadcasting... They have had far to much money out of the british public and what do they give us in return... Nothing ..

• Like 1

Back when there were only 3 or 4 channels, as Sky kicked off and there was talk of multiple channels, some people were predicting a dramatic drop in the quality of broadcasts. The BBC has eventually given in to market forces and now tries to compete.

I also remember comedians at the time making jokes about Sky only having very few subscribers. 

Back when I was working abroad a lot in far flung places and in pre internet days the good old BBC was a godsend , especially with the excellent World Service broadcasting on ShortWave radio.

It was the only way to keep up with news events and the all important football results.  Then the BBC was worth its weight in gold for the service it provided to license payers and ex-pats all over the world.

Nowadays that service is no longer important as there are so many easier ways to receive global info anywhere in the world.

So , no. scrap the fee now - its just a TV Tax. The BBC now is unfortunately just one the thousands of media outlets out there and , IMHO, not even one of best anymore. 

• Like 1