Eyegreg

Hello everyone. I am a new member and have been following the NBN topics and thoroughly enjoyed.  I do not own my own boat but manage to hire every other year.

I have been lucky that my father always took us on holiday for two weeks of the year every year from 1949 so it is so interesting how the changes have taken place.  My father's first hire boat was a yacht and my brother was six months old and that was in 1942 - well done to my mum.  No engine just a pole.  Thank you for reading.  

• Like 4

Thank you so much to everyone who welcomed me on board.  Yes, we have a holiday booked for 15th June 2021 from Barnes Brinkcraft Encore Plus 4 (luxury for us for a change)  but not sure on how I will see what is going on behind.  I am looking forward to it so much and my husband is looking forward to the start of the fishing season.  I love planning where we will go and tides, etc but it never really works out as expected. Last time on the broads was Martham Mill last year with the grandchildren who absolutely loved the boating with no wifi and the floods.  Best holiday they ever had they said.

• Like 1

Hello not quite familar with the site yet but here goes.  Thankyou so much for your comments.  I have quite a few memories on the Norfolk Broads, some of which were quite traumatic i.e. the demise of our much loved great Aunty Dora on Eastern Sun during the fifties!!

On a lighter note “Martham Development” boatyard was a particular favourite of my parents and we were bought an “MD”enamel badge to wear whenever we took over our hire boat.  We had Japonica a few times as well as Janet and Janice.  We also used to stay in “Millway” which was then a lovely wooden cottage a little bit further on from the boatyard and had two undercover boat moorings one each side of the property where we housed Jamecia a lovely half decker and a day boat called June as well as a dinghy from the same boat yard.  Millway had no electricity and the gas lamps had to be lit during the evening so we could play the obligatory game of cards.  The WC was outside and consisted of an oil barrel with a plank of wood over the top.  My sister and I were always chaperoned when it got dark as the toilet shed was situated right next to the river!  There was a jug and basin to wash with in the bedrooms but I was not allowed to use either as I was considered to be a liability when it came to being clumsy.  One of my chores was to go and collect the milk from a man in a small hut which was situated down by Martham Ferry Boatyard.  I used to be quite scared of this responsibility as the “milkman in the shed” kept jars on the shelves with jam or honey in to catch the wasps and I was quite traumatised by the poor wriggling creatures as I felt sure they could get out of the hole in the top of the lid.

Anyway, I have given just a brief insight of the many years we spent on the Norfolk Broads and hope I haven’t bored anyone with my ramblings, but thanks for reading.

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, Eyegreg said:

Anyway, I have given just a brief insight of the many years we spent on the Norfolk Broads and hope I haven’t bored anyone with my ramblings, but thanks for reading.

Definitely not bored me. More stories please! 

A belated welcome from me too!

:default_welcome:

I agree, we'd love to hear more stories.

Wow, your Mum must have been a star to go sailing with a baby! I noticed a young couple on one of the two berth Hunter's Yard boats this summer had a baby with them and thought they were brave, especially as the boats have no running water.