Can Anyone Help

PaulMargaret

Hi my partner and I are coming on the 6th October for 2weeks we are starting at stalham on stargem 2.

1st question is it easier to bring food with us or buy it when we get there?

2nd question do we park near the moorings or is it quite a walk?

3rd question Will the car be safe?

4th question how much fuel do you use on average over 2weeks?

5th question what are the best places to moor up and fish?

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

1 you can do either, but tescos is just up the road 5 minute walk or about the same by car.

2  you can get the car to the back of the boat for unloading, parking isnt too far

3.i have never heard of problems with cars

4, fuel use depends on how far you travel, and whether you go with the tide or against it, it can be different for every trip.

5. plenty of places to do both

I wouldn't buy too much in the way of food and drink, just enough to get you over a few days and then top up in the gorgeous little Broadland villages as and when you need. 

Have a lovely time and welcome to the forum from Jay and I  

Mrs J x

• Like 2

1. Perhaps bring a few essentials- tea, coffee, washing up liquid etc.  There is a Tesco at Stalham very near the boatyard, but plenty of shops near the river in the villageS to stock up.  As has been said, your fridge may not be massive, so see how big it is when you get there and get chilled products to suit.  
2.  Never hired through Richardson’s, but generally you park near your boat to unload your car then move to your parking spot.

3.  Hired for years and never had a problem.  Now as owners, our car is left at the marina car park whilst we’re aboard.

4.  You’ll start with a full tank, which should be more than enough for your trip.  As Grendel said, usage depends on distance travelled and more so on the Southern rivers, whether you travel with or against the tide.  The other factor is speed.  Follow the speed limits and you’ll be fine.

5.  You should be able to fish almost anywhere you moor.  Normally the Broads are quieter in October, but the late start to the season due to the lockdown may affect that this year.  At least if you go outside school holidays, there should be fewer craft out and about.

Dont be afraid to ask - we all started somewhere and have learnt as we went and are still learning too.

Hi PaulMargaret. Just one addition to the information given so far. If your boatyard is Richardsons they do an extra on your booking form which is "undercover parking." If your concerned about security it only costs a fiver for the week and the car is locked away each night, hope this helps, enjoy your holiday.

Paul

• Like 1

Hi

Its my home berth and I’ve left my car there without a problem as there is always someone around as it’s a mixed yard with privateers down one side and hirers on the other
It’s a very large boatyard well covered by cameras 

we used to shop for the week as you can always bring it back again also it gives you the option of staying in that really nice spot

Guest Jayfire
2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

1. Perhaps bring a few essentials- tea, coffee, washing up liquid etc.  

Stella Malcolm, the bloody Stella essentials :facepalm:

We always take enough for breakfasts and tinned goods such as soups, beans etc that can be used for lunch.  Plus the staples as mentioned before, not forgetting the alcohol.:default_beerchug:  Yes there are shops in the villages but our experience is that sometimes they're shut!  We've also planned take-aways only to find we've moored on the one night in the week they are closed.

Can highly recommend the Indian take-away in Coltishall, the Chinese at South Walsham (who very kindly also gave us a lift back to the boat) and Horning (not Tuesday as we went there purposely having read the good reviews only to find that was the night they closed).

We usually hire from Richardsons and have never had a problem with the outdoor parking.

Enjoy!

5 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

. . . . . . . . . . we used to shop for the week as you can always bring it back again also it gives you the option of staying in that really nice spot

If you’re out for a fortnight, there certainly won’t be room in the fridge to buy two weeks worth of chilled food.  We generally plan meals for two or three days at a time and buy what we need.  It gives the option of stopping at ‘that really nice spot’ without filling the boat up with food.  
Ultimately, the choice is yours, but remember that cupboard space is limited on board.

4 hours ago, Jayfire said:

Stella Malcolm, the bloody Stella essentials :facepalm:

Sorry Jay, forgot about those ‘essentials’.  :default_coat:

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Every single trip I've had I  have been glad at some point that I brought a torch!

Definitely essential.

A little point,  Norfolk has one of the lowest county crime rates 50 per 1000,  in the UK 66 per 1000, inside that,  North Norfolk in which most of the northern broads are,  including  Richardson's yard, has just about lowest the crime rates  of Norfolk 36 per 1000 people. 

Most Norfolk crime being in Norwich and Great Yarmouth. Even Norwich is in the lowest 10 crime rates of any city with a university. 

• Like 1

Also, and this is only from own experience, your going for 2 weeks count on a pump out. 
when I last did a fortnight and this was back in the day, I came very close to running out of diesel. 
For me and i really like cruising, 2 weeks was overkill and I visited places more than once and on the south side that’s a lot of distance.

I think I calculated it was about 1.5 litres to a mile but this was the days when you had a dip stick for the diesel. 
Oh and towels. Always more towels than you think