Fuel Polishing And Diesel Bug

Hi After some guidance, does it work out more cost effective to have a fuel polishing system fitted to my tank rather than filling tank to brim (400 litres) when I leave it over winter with a view to stopping diesel bug. My thinking is with my tank a quarter full at moment its going to cost about £450 to top up , but can you get a simple polishing set up for a similar price. Or would I still have to have a full tank and a polisher to defeat the bug. Whats the best and most cost effective solution?

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I know when Robin had his fuel cleaned on independence, he had to get an outside company in to do the job, and it meant having a spare 1000 litre tank to pump the fuel to/ from to accomplish this.

whether you can get a system that can be inserted into the fuel system, I dont know.

Cheaper still is to put a chemical to mix with the diesel that kills the bug. I can't for the moment call to mind what it's called.

Correct IMHO

We have been using 'Soltron' additive for 'B.A's diesel tank for what seems forever. Other makes are available 

After the initial conditioning dose, it's as cheap as chips, just 1x ml per 10 x Ltrs of diesel is all that's required.  We keep 'B.A's diesel tank fully topped up before returning her to her home berth, saves the condensation forming on the inside of the tank during various temperature swings.  The Soltron certainly works too, even makes the diesel burn more efficiently and cleaner but that is a welcome secondary benefit.  How do I know it works? - Simple, every two years I crawl around in the depths of the engine bay (I'm well practised at this procedure) to get to the drain tap on the bottom of the diesel tank.  One clear cut off plastic bottle and open tap, the most water / crud I have ever drained off is around a table spoon full from a total capacity of 35 gallons or around 160 x Ltrs  and this is only once every two years.

Recommended

Griff

• Like 1

No not really just had this brainwave of what if its cheaper to get a polisher fitted(if they are available) then I need only ever have the tank a quarter full.

A 'Polisher' won't stop or remove condensation / crud / bugs sitting in the bottom of your tank.  Just waiting for the day you go through a decent swell to stir em all up and block your filters - Not good

Griff

15 minutes ago, fishfoxey said:

Thanks I think the top up and additive route seems like the way forward

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

This is what we do after we had an issue a couple of years ago with blocked filters after the boat went in for a service. Needless to say we do not use the same company for our servicing.

Hi Once you have the bug in your tank very difficult to remove it prevention is better than cure suggest you drain water of  then treat with additive i use Grotamar this is what military use for long time storage of fuel. then drain water of befor you use it next year. John

Some In line fuel Polishing systems,  will not meet the Boat safety test...

I built my own portable polisher, Diesel fuel lift pump 12V, glass demijohn and bung, diesel fuel filter as fitted to engines (but made sure it was one with CHEAP filters), some copper pipe and some rubber pipe. and a wooden frame to mount it all on.

A length of 1/2 inch copper pipe to reach into bottom of tank, 

A yard of rubber piper to the lift pump, 

Small section of rubber pipe from lift pump to small copper pipe into top of bung through to near bottom of demijohn. ,

Shorter length of copper pipe through bung 1/3 way down demi john to length of rubber pipe to filter.., 

Long length of rubber pipe back into fuel tank..

You can run this from your battery, but I use an old battery charger to power the lift pump. So when I'm down there next to an electricity supply, I just plug it all in and leave it running..  it took a lot of water out first time, it settles out in the bottom of the demi john. and went through several filters..

The rocking an rolling of the boat as the speeders go past, plus the cleaned fuel splashing dropping back in gives a good stir..

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

Some In line fuel Polishing systems,  will not meet the Boat safety test...

I built my own portable polisher, Diesel fuel lift pump 12V, glass demijohn and bung, diesel fuel filter as fitted to engines (but made sure it was one with CHEAP filters), some copper pipe and some rubber pipe. and a wooden frame to mount it all on.

A length of 1/2 inch copper pipe to reach into bottom of tank, 

A yard of rubber piper to the lift pump, 

Small section of rubber pipe from lift pump to small copper pipe into top of bung through to near bottom of demijohn. ,

Shorter length of copper pipe through bung 1/3 way down demi john to length of rubber pipe to filter.., 

Long length of rubber pipe back into fuel tank..

You can run this from your battery, but I use an old battery charger to power the lift pump. So when I'm down there next to an electricity supply, I just plug it all in and leave it running..  it took a lot of water out first time, it settles out in the bottom of the demi john. and went through several filters..

The rocking an rolling of the boat as the speeders go past, plus the cleaned fuel splashing dropping back in gives a good stir..

Any chance of a hand drawn sketch, failing to fully comprehend. 

Follow the instructions on the container,  you add the additive every time you add fuel to the tank,  it can be added after filling providing it goes straight into tank and not laying in fuel pipe this way you no how much to put in,   make sure you dont fill to brim as most fuel will be cold it then expands as it warms up always best to leave a couple of inches below top of tank top. John