Mariners Notice No 8 2020 Meadow Dyke Closure

Dear All

Please find attached Notice to Mariners No. 8 of 2020 regarding River Thurne – Meadow Dyke closure

Kind Regards

Laura Milner

Administrative Officer Operations

Broads Authority

Please note my current working days are Tuesday to Friday

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY
01603 610734

BROADS AUTHORITY NOTICE TO MARINERS No. 8 of 2020 River Thurne – Meadow Dyke Closure Notice is hereby given that the Broads Authority will be dredging on Horsey Mere. River passage will be closed for the duration of the works from 01 October to 31 December 2020 between the hours of 08:00 and 16:00 daily, excluding weekends. Vessels requiring passage outside these times are requested to arrange in advance with the Broads Authority 01603 610734. The grid reference is between TG434208 -TG445218. All vessels are to take this into consideration when route planning and navigating the area. For more information visit https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/notices-to-mariners or call 01603 610734. Rivers Engineer 1 September 2020

• Sad 1

Interesting timing, though.  With the season extended by some hire companies through to November and the potential for dayboat hires from Potter, closing that at the beginning of October seems odd.  Could it not have been pushed back a month??  The idea of a day boat to Horsey and a walk to the beach to see the seals is a good one.  We did it ourselves in 2015 and would encourage anyone whose boat cannot pass under that bridge to do the same.  It was a good day out and well worth the cost of the day boat.

A8C2AD50-2F72-4B1E-BA76-673FBE73A943.jpeg

EEBA0BB5-C8EE-4770-B919-80F915843D9C.jpeg

F4F93B1B-D812-4FED-8239-E2DF6A81B307.jpeg

9C0078DB-B501-47BE-A666-5C4265944915.jpeg

• Like 4

Not a criticism of you Mouldy but a comment/observation/question.. about hirers of dayboats. You said.. "

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

The idea of a day boat to Horsey and a walk to the beach to see the seals is a good one.

This I don't understand.

If I hired a dayboat, I'd want to go to all the places I couldn't get to by car. Perhaps I might moor to a pub for lunch, but generally I'd be cruising.

As I say, not criticizing but questioning!

34 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

. . . . . . . . .As I say, not criticizing but questioning!

There are not many craft that can pass under Potter bridge.  One way of exploring the area above is to hire a day boat.  Obviously, my idea of cruising to Horsey and walking to the beach may not be go everyone's taste, but as a family, we found it a great way to spend the day.  You could, of course, cruise to Hickling Broad and visit the pub, or go to West Somerton.  

My reason for the post was purely to question the timing of the closure, especially in view of the shortened season caused by the pandemic.   Could it not have waited a month?

• Like 1

Don't put the BA off dredging!!! Go on a Sat/Sun when they are not working!

Think about it - its not really much of an excuse to postpone major works  just because someone MIGHT wish to see some seals, as you could change your mind on the day you have chosen! No let them get on with the work - thats what they are paid to do and you can at least, still see the seals by going by car.

Given the effort they go to to get the kit up through the bridge and the fact that dredging causes less disruption in the winter, it seems sensible to just let them get on with it when they plan to do it IMHO

Sorry Mouldy, "questioning" was also the wrong word. If people want to do something then they should do it and good luck to them. The fact that someone should want to do something that I don't understand is very much my problem not theirs.

This however does not help me understand why someone would want to hire a craft then walk off away from it.

That aside I also realise the purpose of your post and again I have to apologise for deflecting attention away from it, though I do rather agree with Marshman on that point.

46 minutes ago, marshman said:

Get that, but who is going to ask for permission in advance with the BA, in line with the notice? 

46 minutes ago, marshman said:

Think about it - its not really much of an excuse to postpone major works  just because someone MIGHT wish to see some seals, as you could change your mind on the day you have chosen! No let them get on with the work - thats what they are paid to do and you can at least, still see the seals by going by car.

Get that too, but in a season so affected by the ‘virus’ which appears to be being extended, could it not wait at least until the end of October?

18 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

This however does not help me understand why someone would want to hire a craft then walk off away from it.

So why do you see so many day boats moored outside pubs, when they are equally accessible by road?  Each to their own, I guess.

If the BA want to do something really useful, clearing some reed growth at the top of The Chet, towards the junction of The Yare, might be a good place to start.  It is becoming extremely narrow and must be difficult for inexperienced crews in ever larger hire craft to negotiate.

I’ll shut up now.  I clearly have no idea what I’m banging on about!

1 minute ago, Mouldy said:

So why do you see so many day boats moored outside pubs, when they are equally accessible by road?  Each to their own, I guess.

I really have no idea apart from perhaps Lunch!  Personally I'd take a picnic.

3 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I’ll shut up now.  I clearly have no idea what I’m banging on about!

None of us really know what we're banging on about, so please bang on!    :-)

Reed growth, perhaps nature will take care of that, if Oulton Broad is anything to go by. Water temperature has plummeted and a bit of a breeze, surface tow, has brought a huge amount of weed up onto my slipway. Good for manure but still a 'B' nuisance. Don't expect that to happen so early in the autumn. 

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Given the effort they go to to get the kit up through the bridge and the fact that dredging causes less disruption in the winter, it seems sensible to just let them get on with it when they plan to do it IMHO

I'm surprised that nobody has been along yet to moan about prymnesium :default_norty:

Don't worry MM they will be checking the water temperature daily and testing the water weekly to check for things which can usually set it off!  They are not allowed to dredge until the water temperature is low enough and my guess is that they are being a bit optimistic if they think they can dredge any time after the 1st October - more like early November!

To be honest not yet sure exactly where they are going to do it - there are reports of a few humps in Meadow Dyke itself  and they are also going to finish off the top end of Waxham Cut sometime too. Don't forget that the voluntary exclusion up Meadow Dyke will also come into effect by then so you will not be able to go up by day boat by around late October in any case as the buoys will be out.

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Don't worry MM they will be checking the water temperature daily and testing the water weekly to check for things which can usually set it off!  They are not allowed to dredge until the water temperature is low enough and my guess is that they are being a bit optimistic if they think they can dredge any time after the 1st October - more like early November!

To be honest not yet sure exactly where they are going to do it - there are reports of a few humps in Meadow Dyke itself  and they are also going to finish off the top end of Waxham Cut sometime too. Don't forget that the voluntary exclusion up Meadow Dyke will also come into effect by then so you will not be able to go up by day boat by around late October in any case as the buoys will be out.

Why not, if as you say yourself, it's voluntary  ?

Your choice I agree - however remember that just as you should not disturb the seals more than necessary, so you should apply the same rules to overwintering water birds. Those rules also apply to large expanses of Hickling Broad too where buoys are set out - again its a voluntary exclusion merely for the benefit of the migratory birds over the winter.

There is no hidden agenda as far as I am aware.....!!

7 minutes ago, marshman said:

Your choice I agree - however remember that just as you should not disturb the seals more than necessary, so you should apply the same rules to overwintering water birds. Those rules also apply to large expanses of Hickling Broad too where buoys are set out - again its a voluntary exclusion merely for the benefit of the migratory birds over the winter.

There is no hidden agenda as far as I am aware.....!!

There are overwintering water birds on Barton - but no 'voluntary exclusion'  ! Yes - I do sail there in the winter, and the birds seem remarkablu unflurried, just as they do elsewhere.

Why should the birds of Hickling or Horsey be any different ?

• Like 1