Virgin Boater Here

LondonGuy

Bath tub or flat boats can’t be beaten for space and ease of mooring everything on one level. 
Keep an eye on size and think 34 foot boat for four and a 34 foot boat for 2 there’s the space right there

shore power

bow thrusters

and your golden. 
and a personal bit , I hated cramped boatyards where it’s a faff to moor when bringing it back

14 hours ago, LondonGuy said:

. . . . . .  What's wrong with August?

Peak pricing, too busy and for senile oldies like me (64), too many kids.  Before we bought firstly into a syndicated boat a couple of years ago and then our own, we’d always hired in late April or through May when nature was waking up after winter and the wildlife was plentiful or latterly mid to late September into October, when the rivers were beginning to quieten.  Not only were the hire costs significantly less, but with less boats about, it was a much more pleasant environment.

Since visiting through autumn and winter over the last two years, aside from the generally colder weather, I can confirm that every season has its attractions, just compensate by choosing a suitable craft and taking warmer clothing.  The Broads are charming whenever you visit.

• Like 4

I often read that people stay away in August because it is too busy, yet I also read that people stay away in August because  boatyards charge too much, some even going so far as to warn that those boatyards are risking pricing themselves out of the holiday market. This seems to be self contradictory, yet many people hold those beliefs. 

In my experience the first week in September, after the kids have gone back to school seems to be the busiest, but not by very much.

Winter is quiet, Spring rather less so. Summer is busy, Autumn slightly less so. That's my take on it but I'm sure the members here who are or have been involved in the hire craft industry will tell it how it is/was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

16th of June is the start of the fishing season. If you are trying to avoid the anglers, I'd go for the last week of May-1st week June to get the best of the daylight.

Noting of course , that's 3 Rivers Race weekend Normally..

Good viewing, but not good for the inexperience Motorboater trying to get somewhere..

http://www.3rr.uk/

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/uk/three-rivers-race-norfolk-broads-sailing-a7061301.html

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/three-rivers-race-is-a-tale-of-risks-great-escapes-and-a-punt-city-jam-1-5052268

• Like 1

Hi London Guy,

I'd take a lovely Broads Cruiser over a narrow boat any day! I'm a relative novice compared with most on here but I'm happy to share a few of my insights...

I have hired from both Richardson's and Herbert Woods recently. In both cases, they were (because I'm a cheapskate) cheaper, older boats. The boat from Herbert Woods was alright but the Richardson's boat immaculate. I've heard this repeated many times - even their classic fleet are fantastic. In my opinion, better heating, more comfortable, and better handover from the staff.

We always go during the Easter school holidays (we're teachers) and we've never had a problem finding a mooring, even at 6pm. That includes before the bridge at Wroxham - either at Barnes Brinkcraft or Faircraft Loynes (however, as it's busier, most of the boatyard fleets are out).

I've never had shore power (it feels like a frivolous luxury - we're used to camping) but maybe our cold boating in October this year will change our minds on that! I would say that having a good size lounge/living room/stateroom is something to look for. It's a room where you spend plenty of time. In my opinion, I'd choose a bigger living room over a spare bedroom any time. 

I think you'd have a great time whether you could get above the bridges or not. However, if you're planning to stay North (above Great Yarmouth), you don't really need the extra height. If you're thinking of more than a short break whilst staying North, I think I'd recommend the flexibility of getting under those bridges though.

I'd recommend boats like Pearl Gem, Star Gem, or Ruby Horizon (all from Richardson's at Stalham) but none of them have beds with all round access. Mrs London Guy might find these too 'agricultutal' but look at the pictures and decide. They will be immaculate. If you want to spend more money, something like Royall Satin (from Barnes Brinkcraft in Wroxham) might be just the ticket - not sure I could start a holiday in Wroxham though - it's a place I like to visit. Swan Rapture (from Richardson's again) looks like a good bet but only an average sized lounge (maybe that's cosy).

I hope some of my ramblings are useful to you. They are only my opinions and they may of course be wrong!

• Like 2

Following on from catcouk’s post, one of the ex Swancraft fleet from Richardson’s could well fit the bill.  Although not maintained to the exacting standards of the yard that built them, they were well and thoughtfully put together and are still highly regarded and very popular craft.  Look for Swan Rapture, Roamer or Radiance.

• Like 2

I just meant that Wroxham is a place that I like to visit during the holiday. If we started from there, we'd have to stay at the boatyard our first night or arrive back early at the end of our holiday. I suppose we could also stay at a hotel so that we didn't have to travel on handover days. It's just a personal preference.

• Like 1

I’m the same about hiring from Richardson’s - the Ant becomes a transit route instead of a destination to be enjoyed. So I like to hire from different yards to vary our likely routes for the week. Horning makes a great start and finish point which is just one of the reasons why I like hiring from Ferry Marina. 

• Like 1

I never felt like I missed anything in Stalham compared to other destinations - it almost feels like a Navy base with the size of the hire fleet there! Am I missing out on something awesome in Stalham? I'd really appreciate knowing.

2 hours ago, catcouk said:

Am I missing out on something awesome in Stalham? I'd really appreciate knowing.

Not really. Main attraction for me is the Swan :default_beerchug:

Having said that Mrs Nog loves trawling up and down the High Street looking at the tat. 

There's a Tesco there and cash machines together with chemist, butcher and various take aways and cafes. 

• Like 1

Stalham is a nice enough place to visit, plenty of boatyard mooring and now the BA have taken control of the Staithe and the overstayers have moved on, it is a great spot next to the Museum of the Broads.

The approach into Stalham is one of the nicest on the Broads, do not be put off!

• Like 3

We stopped briefly in Stalham on our first motor cruiser holiday about 5 years ago. It has a high street with a few good cafes as well as the Swan, and a few takeaway places too. I’m glad to see that Jay discovered a new Richardson’s mooring that’s available for private boats, though we might check out the Staithe too.

We stopped at Simpson’s Boatyard twice during our two weeks on Norfolk Lady back in July, once for fuel and the other time a pump out.  Enjoyed some banter with the friendly staff and good service.  Recommended. Located opposite The Museum of the Broads and just 50 yards from the public Staithe.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

We stopped at Simpson’s Boatyard twice during our two weeks on Norfolk Lady back in July, once for fuel and the other time a pump out.  Enjoyed some banter with the friendly staff and good service.  Recommended. Located opposite The Museum of the Broads and just 50 yards from the public Staithe.

We got fuel, water and pump out from Simpsons on Saturday. Really good service and friendly staff. We will definitely be using them again. 

• Like 2