Silent Emblem

snunn

SILENT EMBLEM

June 2020

Well here we are back again on the broads just as last year we came up early stayed in Horning and visited Bure Seafood Restaurant before collecting the boat on Friday morning.

This year for the very first time we have a 2 week trip never done that before but always felt we wanted more after a week , we will see how it goes.

Well scrap that !

It’s now September 4th. and having had our overseas holiday cancelled by tour company we moved those 2 weeks until now.

Boatyard gave us a 12:30 pick up in reality it was nearer 1pm loaded up quickly and set off after a long drive yesterday we were both feeling a little bushed so took a slow cruise just down to South Walsham moored up easily on first set and went about unpacking ,well I did Mick set up fishing by 3:30 all stowed away and ship shape I went for a short walk along to the other moorings chatted to fellow boaters and then returned ,we sat up top watching the world go by until time for dinner. Fresh Cromer crab salad and new potatoes not too taxing,couple glasses of wine then an early night we can start the adventure fully tomorrow

• Like 7

Saturday 5th.

After a really good night sleep up early we decided to cast off after a tea and coffee it was clear blue sky but a bit breezy destination to be Womack dyke again not a long cruise but we are not ones who cruise for hours we like a two or three hours early morning then set ourselves up for the day fishing reading walking.

It was pretty chilly up top depending on wind direction Womack dyke had space but we thought Staithe or island would be more sheltered , island full so onto Staithe moorings quite empty, this is where we discovered the bow thrusters are still as temperamental as they were last year choosing to work intermittently not ideal middle of a mooring strange not to have been fixed?

Once moored we ate a lovely cooked breakfast / brunch sun was by now only putting in a fleeting appearance Mick started fishing I went for a walk to village so disappointed with what was Throwers such a lovely store before.

Back onboard I was either up top or inside depending on the weather Mick stoically fished on

As the afternoon drew to a close the weather cleared and we again enjoyed a drink or 2 up top watching the comings and goings, another salad of Ham for dinner more wine and then bed , plan for tomorrow was a Sunday lunch somewhere but of course you need to prebook so will see in the morning what we decide to do.

• Like 4

I have a feeling that I had a similar problem with Zircon Emblem and have experienced it on at least one other older boat from a different yard, possibly Sonnet. I was needing the bow thruster for mooring assistance in a strong wind. You couldn’t use them for too long at one time. I thought that it was down to the kind of bow thrusters fitted. On Swan Reflection it’s never been a problem but you definitely activate those differently. 

Have I read somewhere that bow thrusters can’t be relied upon when there’s a strong wind?
The first few (motor) boats we hired had bow thrusters, then we hired Fair Regent, twice, which didn’t. The first time I was worried about how I would cope. Actually, looking back, I think not having bow thrusters taught me a lot and I’m now more confident at the helm as a result. MS does have them, and I admit it makes life easier, it’s just nice to know that you can manage fine if they fail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

I am sure someone said before that there is a limit to how long some types of bow thruster can be run continuously, (was it about 10 seconds or so)

I have been used to Vetus thrusters which will cut out on a thermal cut-out after about 10 seconds.

They then have to be re-set manually by a button, usually found somewhere under a bunk in the fore cabin!

Sunday 6th.

Mick was up bright and early before 6 but bought me a tea in bed so forgiven I read a while before getting up just after 7 had more tea and coffee when Mick said he was looking at the Fur and Feathers website and we could book a table for 2:30 we chose inside as the weather at that point was not great neither one of us wanted breakfast so after loosing the rubbish we set of for Salhouse broad it was about 8:30 and in the distance clear blue sky sadly that went away and it was decidedly cold up there .We are not ones for rushing so at about 3 miles an hour we were happy pooling along.

Oh I forgot about Womack incident! Fair Jubilee moored next transpired on 1rope on 1 ring suddenly swung bow into us a quite a blow Mick jumped off called to them as doors were open no answer transpired they had left the boat , when they came back they stood on bank taking photos of said boat at 90% angle I said it’s hit us 3 times no reply in they got and left mooring at nothing less than full throttle nice stern wave in their wake .

Busy around Horning day boats everywhere some cruisers going way too fast we must really annoy them Salhouse nowhere near full so we picked our spot , bow thrusters failed again and as we were finishing the ropes a guy came and stood right by us I must have given him a funny look as he said I am here for the mooring fee I said we haven’t even moored yet

Hey all paid up both had a coffee followed by showered and then it was time to stroll to the pub took about 20mins we had a nice meal would return portion sizes too large though such a waste be nice if sunny to sit in garden which when we arrived it was for a while but we had inside booked , back to the boat I sat up top with Mick whilst he fish caught a few skimmer bream I think he was happy anyway , went in for a light supper read a while before bed,only plan so far for tomorrow is to have a later start and have another cooked breakfast.

417DB095-0F80-4F56-8D59-12BEB1C10093.jpeg

478B3284-4869-43AF-80FE-A3B0AE4708D4.jpeg

677CAF6D-8179-4DF2-ABEA-5085EE2DAA4D.jpeg

• Like 2

Monday 7th

We woke to a very misty morning quite dark sky to but we were not in a hurry so just sat and read / lap topped had a lovely cooked breakfast noticed so many boats had already left we assumed rightly or wrongly some must have been Monday change overs.

No we haven’t contacted boat yard Mick seems to think it works ok if he switches it on a few minutes before he needs it , we are out for 2 weeks and plan a pump out on Wednesday or Thursday this week so will mention it at the yard then.

Once breakfast cleared we set off destination as yet unknown we have food onboard do not need shopping so no need for a busy mooring the weather still very grey but not as cold as yesterday , again just about 3 miles an hour we turned towards Horning it was quite busy going towards Wroxham but not much this way until the day boats caught us up , how do they get them to go so fast ?

We continued at our slow pace enjoying the scenery saw a few kingfishers abd a couple marsh harriers I had missed a couple of good photo opportunities yesterday so had the camera ready but so far nothing to shoot. At Horning we caught up with and old Herbert woods boat right by the swan bend we had to stop he was going so slow and making a real racket, just before the new inn 3 day boats pulled out to overtake us and him we got passed after before ferry Marina he pulled over to let us past.

We decided to go down fleet dyke it was getting on for lunchtime so looked busy but when we reached the first moorings the very first one was free too good a fishing opportunity I was told so in we go bow thrusters working ! It had been raining on and off since Horning not heavy enough to force us down but I took the camera in just a a heron took off above a pair of swans it looked like they were carrying him so I missed it again ,

Moored up the fishing started in earnest I went for a walk along pat he to main river bit damp under foot then back past us to other moorings still no where near full.

A couple of boats came past at such speed on in particular a quite late about 7 pm I was just preparing dinner large richo’s new ish boat incredibly fast and a few minutes later came back past us so close I thought he was coming for dinner , they then threw it in the reeds just ahead of us still there this morning.

Tomorrow we will try to get in ranworth we are hoping for a curry delivery and some water and lose the rubbish.

As a well known boater might say “ more as it happens “.

• Like 5

Tuesday 8th.

When we got up this morning it was glorious almost clear sky’s so we decided to set off early and have a lovely slow cruise about, it was 6:30 as we pulled away from the moorings out of fleet dyke and turned right we cruised along the bure to the Thurne mouth saw some deer in the fields to the left after St. Benets .

Down as far as Acle bridge where we turned around only then realising it was really quite breezy facing the wind, back towards Ranworth we seemed to be the only boat out but passed the Ant mouth a few more were on the move caught a glimpse of a marsh harriers a kestrel and a kingfisher just at the top of Ranworth Dam , took a photo not sure it’s any good but on the camera so will have to upload on laptop before I can add.

When we reached the moorings at Ranworth a kind gentleman pointed down the side that there was a space we came in it was between the first and third boats unfortunately the third boat had a dinghy at his bow which we did give a slight clip to both men on each boat offered to pull us in but Mick at the helm moored us perfectly with the bow thrusters aid.

After settling down we had showers then went off for a walk reading on here that the nature trail was closed we set of on what we call Daves walk and lovely it was too,passing the pub on the way back it was rude not to stop and have a beer unfortunately not everyone kept to the one way system coming out the entrance only door as people queued for drinks.

We shared a pizza for a late lunch not the best but it was ok,back on the boat which we had moved to the end spot shortly after arriving Mick set up on the bank in front for his fishing had a few small roach and several skimmers one that was quite large “apparently “.

Dinner was to be takeaway curry which we ordered was told it would be an hour it was slightly longer but arrived hot and tasty,little bit of cr-p tv then off to bed plans for tomorrow not yet made.

• Like 4

Sounds great. Yesterday turned into a beautiful day. We like a day at Ranworth in the middle of a holiday and do very similar to you, cruise early then moor up and chill out for the day. Was the Staithe full? Have a great day wherever it leads you. 

Hi Jean 

no last night there was probably 1 or 2 spaces by 8 am this morning more like 5 

only a couple of boats mud waiting.

yes yesterday was a lovely day little cloudy today also a bit windy.

thinking of going up the Ant just waiting until it will be low water to see if we can get through bridge we need 8foot 2 or 8 foot 4 depending what you read in the boat !

had no issue last year so hopefully be ok today.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, snunn said:

thinking of going up the Ant just waiting until it will be low water to see if we can get through bridge we need 8foot 2 or 8 foot 4 depending what you read in the boat !

Don’t forget that the height indicator heading towards Ludham Bridge from The Bure is about 6 inches out, so when it reads 8ft, there is about 8ft 6ins clearance.  Any doubt, call at Ludham Bridge Boatyard and they will help you.  Really helpful guys there and will advise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, snunn said:

I recon 0.5m is approx 8'6" at Ludham https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6215 so at 8'2" you should be OK at any state of the tide today.

Ok, this may upset some people, but we all see things different ways don't we?

I find both Wroxham and Potter Heigham unwelcoming tacky places, apart from the beautiful medieval bridges both have and supermarkets I don't see what they have to offer!

Wroxham and Potter Heigham (imho) are better viewed from a boat!

The exception is The Kings Head, or as Mandy calls it her 'man creche' after we've used the pilot to get under the bridge, that's where she leaves me and the dog while she gets 'essentials' at Roys, while I get essentials while watching the boats so by and the dog watches the ducks!  :default_beerchug:

Give me Coltishall, Ludham, Horning, Lodden etc anytime

But... each to their own!  :default_biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, tim said:

Ok, this may upset some people, but we all see things different ways don't we?

I find both Wroxham and Potter Heigham unwelcoming tacky places, apart from the beautiful medieval bridges both have and supermarkets I don't see what they have to offer!

Wroxham and Potter Heigham (imho) are better viewed from a boat!

The exception is The Kings Head, or as Mandy calls it her 'man creche' after we've used the pilot to get under the bridge, that's where she leaves me and the dog while she gets 'essentials' at Roys, while I get essentials while watching the boats so by and the dog watches the ducks!  :default_beerchug:

Give me Coltishall, Ludham, Horning, Lodden etc anytime

But... each to their own!  :default_biggrin:

Agree entirely  - except for The Kings Head ! 

• Like 2