Boat Share Info And Advice Please.

Suzukibiker68

Good morning everyone,

As a Midlander, I have been frequenting the Broads, hiring craft for the last 15 years and having been extremely fortunate to retire early in life I am looking for either advice or recommendations on a boat share to make the most of my spare time. The craft I would require would have to have 3 full bedrooms (not to include the interior cabin), prefereably pet friendly but this is not a deal breaker.

I look forward to any assistance you can give.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Bridges

Hello Dave,

You will have opt for a share in one of the following syndicate boats:-

Thunder, Moonlight Shadow, Lighting, some are managed by BCBM, Have a look on their website, also all the Broads Syndicate boats are listed on www.boatshare.co.uk.

Regards

Alan

Alan Hood

Chairman & Trustee

Ranworth Breeze Boat Syndicate

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Dave,

You will have opt for a share in one of the following syndicate boats:-

Thunder, Moonlight Shadow, Lighting, some are managed by BCBM, Have a look on their website, also all the Broads Syndicate boats are listed on www.boatshare.co.uk.

Regards

Alan

Alan Hood

Chairman & Trustee

Ranworth Breeze Boat Syndicate

Alan, do they say if moored North or South?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Suzukibiker68 said:

Good morning everyone,

As a Midlander, I have been frequenting the Broads, hiring craft for the last 15 years and having been extremely fortunate to retire early in life I am looking for either advice or recommendations on a boat share to make the most of my spare time. The craft I would require would have to have 3 full bedrooms (not to include the interior cabin), prefereably pet friendly but this is not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Bridges

Hi Suzuki biker, 

As you may have guessed, I'm also a biker, AND a share owner in one of the boats Alan mentions above, "Lightning". We are a self managed syndicate, and our boat meets the requirements you stipulate. For more information, please look at our website www.lightningcruiser.com 

My wife and I will be aboard from Saturday October 10th for a week, so if you're on or near the Broads  (Brundall) at that time, we'll be glad to show you aboard. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Suzukibiker68 said:

Good morning everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Dave Bridges

I forgot to say, in the meantime, I will be glad to answer any questions you may have. 

In addition to Alan's list are Evening Shadow and Blue Mist.

Both of these are moored, as is Thunder, at Horning. Evening Shadow is managed by BCBM while Blue Mist is owner managed. There are two shares for sale on Evening Shadow.

Fred

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Suzuki biker, 

As you may have guessed, I'm also a biker, AND a share owner in one of the boats Alan mentions above, "Lightning". We are a self managed syndicate, and our boat meets the requirements you stipulate. For more information, please look at our website www.lightningcruiser.com 

My wife and I will be aboard from Saturday October 10th for a week, so if you're on or near the Broads  (Brundall) at that time, we'll be glad to show you aboard. 

Thank you for this. Ill take a look later.👍👍👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Suzuki biker, 

Hi again, I've sent an Email to Lightningcruiser to ask on any available shares as I agree, it looks perfect for our needs. Thank you again for your advice. I would love to see you in October for a tour, but unfortunately as I only got back from the Broads at the weekend I can't really make it but thanks for the invite. 

Stay safe on that Triumph.

Dave Bridges

• Like 1

Hi all

We are in similar position to Dave in terms of boat share interest.

I noted that Evening Shadow has two shares recently available and dropped an email to BCBM yesterday with some questions but I am still awaiting a response (I think I filled out the contact form correctly but will wait and see!).

I wondered if you could help with some of my questions?

1. What are the main differences with Moonlight and Evening save for the mooring and therefore immediate cruising grounds. I gather valeting is included with Moonlight and more an option with Evening but trying to suss out the difference in the recent share sale values.

2. There are 2 shares available with a difference in price. Is this simply that one seller is more motivated than the other? Or is there a difference?

3. We have spent holidays on the broads for the last 8 years sharing a boat with our close friends each time. Can the share be purchased in joint names to ensure that if either family cannot go during our allocation weeks it would not prevent the other family from going if that makes sense?

Thank you in advance 

Al

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AliB said:

Hi all

I noted that Evening Shadow has two shares recently available and dropped an email to BCBM yesterday with some questions but I am still awaiting a response (I think I filled out the contact form correctly but will wait and see!).

1. What are the main differences with Moonlight and Evening save for the mooring and therefore immediate cruising grounds. I gather valeting is included with Moonlight and more an option with Evening but trying to suss out the difference in the recent share sale values.

2. There are 2 shares available with a difference in price. Is this simply that one seller is more motivated than the other? Or is there a difference?

3. We have spent holidays on the broads for the last 8 years sharing a boat with our close friends each time. Can the share be purchased in joint names to ensure that if either family cannot go during our allocation weeks it would not prevent the other family from going if that makes sense?

Thank you in advance 

Al

:default_icon_wave:    :default_welcome: to the forum.

Will let others answer the other stuff. :default_biggrin:

Welcome.

Moonlight Shadow has changed its cleaning arrangements since the last AGM. We now clean the boat ourselves but can book and pay for a valet if that is our choice. The external cleaning of the boat has always been the members responsibility. 

I think Moonlight and Evening Shadow are the same layout, but since they have been syndicate boats for a while, the members of those syndicates will have made different decisions about upgrades over the years. Moonlight Shadow had problems with the retractable roof which got worse last year, so we collectively decided to get that fixed properly (strengthening the roof) when she was out of the water for her winter annual service. We also replaced the rear cabin mattress last year. We put some funds aside for future contingencies each month, as I’m sure must be common practice for all syndicates.

Share prices tend to reflect how urgently the seller wants out of the syndicate. From my experience there may be several shares that go up for sale at once, but that isn’t really a reflection on the boat or the syndicate. When we bought our share there were four available, two due to people buying their own boats, one due to a bereavement and one due to ill health, so don’t associate several shares being up for sale as anything sinister. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, AliB said:

Hi all

Thank you in advance 

Al

As follows:

1.  The boards are both of the same style and although I haven’t been on board Evening Shadow, both have a similar fit out, with slight differences in finishes internally.  Valeting is no longer included in the costings for Moonlight Shadow, it is left to the owners, but a valeting service is avail, if required and charged to the individual owners.

2.  The difference in prices could be dependent on a number of factors, weeks of the current allocation available, each owners desire or reason to sell and could be linked to how much the paid for their share originally.

3.  Yes, that is possible, with one named member of each family named on the share.  Depending on the syndicate, weeks are frequently swapped, however the allocation process is different from syndicate to syndicate.

It is fair to say that currently the market for shares in syndicate boats is very buoyant, probably in part due to Covid-19 and the associated issues with foreign travel and quarantine, causing people to look more towards staycations.  It has also had an effect on sales of used boats, which are moving quickly, too even at the more expensive end of the market.  

Given theses facts, I’m sure that the shares in Evening Shadow won’t be around for long.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

:default_icon_wave:  :default_welcome:  to the forum.

Just thinking outloud, do people consider where and when the AGM is held when signing up? Do they vary year on year?

Our AGM (Lightning syndicate) is always held at Stibbington Station (at the start of the Nene Valley Railway) in their meeting room in October, basically for operational seasonal and central location reasons, though this year, because pof the cv farce, we're having an "on-line AGM via something called" zoom". Our allocation system is now automated negating the need for a time consuming pot luck draw, which allows more time to discuss operational issues etc. If you buy a share, you automatically take over that members allocation, which gives you a week every 12 or 13 weeks, and then each members allocation rotates each year, early, mid, late, then back to early etc. This system is the most fairest available, and means each member is treated the same. Each owner can have Co owners to a max of 3 (I think?).  Weeks can be swapped, subject to agreement with the other associated member. 

I could go into detail, but you would be better off calling our chairman on the number on our website, though I wiil still be happy to try and answer any questions if I'm able to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Just thinking outloud, do people consider where and when the AGM is held when signing up? Do they vary year on year?

This year the BCBM fleet (Evening Shadow, Moonlight Shadow, Silver Cloud and Thunder) AGMs will be held over Zoom.

Fred

22 hours ago, AliB said:

Hi all

Thank you in advance 

Al

If you send your questions to me re Evening Shadow I will answer them for you no problem as I am the chairman of the group.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TrevorAndDeirdre said:

If you send your questions to me re Evening Shadow I will answer them for you no problem as I am the chairman of the group.

Great thank you and helpful to know. I’ve spoken with BCBM yesterday who have covered some initial questions but will come back to you with anything further.

Al

I'd recommend talking with @ranworthbreeze if you're interested in a boat share. He certainly helped me out on my journey through syndicate ownership and it's positive and negatives.

I can't offer advice now not I'm not the syndicate chair of a share boat anymore....1017843176_flat750x1000075f_u3.thumb.jpg.9f48997b9805318de435d64e2763229a.jpg

But loved my shared ownership and I have now managed to move on to be the proud owner of my own boat because of the learning I took on, so if you feel it is for you then go for it mate 

• 1 month later...
On 11/09/2020 at 17:33, TrevorAndDeirdre said:

Hi there Trevor, I see that you are chairman for the evening shadow boat group, would it possible to ask you a few questions as we are about to buy shares? Thank you and kind regards 

Karen