My First Itiniary

LondonGuy

Vigin boater here again! Thanks for all the advice so far. :default_biggrin:

O.K., so let's say I hire a boat from Ferry Marina, Horning. What would a one weeks itiniary look like?

I'd would want to get around and see the sites, but without completely knackering myself!  I don't know any of the towns - it's all new to me.

(Let's assume that my boat might not go under the small bridges).

Still hypothetical at the moment...

Hi London Guy, my advice for what it's worth would be, don't knock yourself out charging about trying to pack everything in. Chill out for the week go with the flow and moor where you end up .So long as you have food and a few sherbets on board you're sorted ,above all take your time and enjoy it.

Steve😄

• Like 2

for me a weeks itinerary goes something like get on boat  point the nose somewhere and cruise for a few hours, moor up,  repeat,  repeat, repeat, head for somewhere near the boatyard, then drop the boat off and go home.

I may decide there are a few places i want to head for sometime during the week, but i never have a fixed plan.

• Like 3

Wow, that quite a big question. We all have our favourite places on the Broads so I think you could end up getting all sorts of suggestions, depending on whether individuals like to be near a pub, want to do some fishing or like the quieter areas. Before my first trip I read through this very useful guide to the Broads, which describes all the paces you can moor at and will really whet your appetite for your holiday as there are some beautiful photos too:
http://www.broadsnet.co.uk/

Most of the big hire companies websites have lots of information too, including suggested itineraries. The Herbert Woods site is particularly good.

https://www.herbertwoods.co.uk/norfolk-broads/

Ferry Marina have some sample routes too, if you are starting from Horning it would be worth looking at that:

https://www.ferry-marina.co.uk/your-holiday/boating-guide/

Helen

• Like 1

You could go to our holiday tales section and have a read there. I’ve hired a few times from Ferry Marina and it’s a great place to start from. If you go back a few pages, might be October 17, you should find one I posted from a week out on Bronze Emblem. That was a memorable week and our route worked out well. There will also be a video at the end of it. 

• Like 1

Far too many options to list, do you want to stay north? Do you want long cruises or short?

Best bit of advice would be to ‘move your day’ by that I mean get up early and go to bed early!

That way mooring both lunchtime and evening should be easier 

We don’t cook much when on holiday, so for us mooring twice a day near a pub is important but not (fortunately) everyone sees it that way

Enjoy!

• Like 1

We never really had or have an itinerary, you are in the wonderful position of it all being new! In many ways just around every corner is a new "best bit" 

If you want or need to be near facilities over night then start cruising early and have a plan B destination should stand you in good stead. If you prefer quite nights with a bit of simple home cooking/camp food there are loads of places to stop including mud weighting in a broad.

The general advice for each day is 'relax, enjoy, repeat' 🍺

3 hours ago, Broads01 said:

How long is a piece of string? 

Twice the length from the centre to any one of the ends. (searches for smart a*** emoji)

Our first visit to the broads was last year*, and following advice from here, and elsewhere, we didn't  plan an itinerary too carefully and that turned out well. We loved our time so much that as soon as we got home we booked for this year, sadly due to me breaking my tib and fib we had to cancel. Not to worry though as we've booked two broads holidays for next year, May and September.

* Should have done it years ago.:default_icon_e_smile:

• Like 2

LG, roam wasn’t built in a week. Keep it simple, not too many destinations and be prepared to say soad it and stay on an extra night in the same place if permissible and you’re relaxed and enjoying yourself. Take a leaf out of Chelsea14ians recent log, set yourself some ideals to start but see where it takes you. There’s no hurry! The broads will still be here next week, month, year.... try cotishall if you can get through, otherwise just Wroxham, ranworth, or sou walsham, acle or Upton, Thurne or Potter... take two in one day as you like it. It’s not a race! Njoi.

29 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Slip under the bridge at Potter Heigham, marvel at the passing vista and head towards the Pleasure Boat Inn where I suggest that you moor for the week and chill. All the very best people do that!

Hope it fits under the bridge, to balance things up though I’ve enjoyed a week at Oulton many a time JM, opposite ends of the broads but somehow equal attraction for me, or a nice change maybe. And that’s from a Hickling boy with the PB in my bloodStream. Even got some photos you took of me on my voyage south on the garage wall which remind me of my fondness for the southern side.  Memories live on in photos!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think JM is being mischievous, given the amount of moaning that has gone on on various threads on this forum about the difficulty of getting under Potter Heigham Bridge. It’s one of the reasons we’ve been hiring a sailing boat most years, as we’ve yet to take a motor boat through. 
We also hired a day boat from Whispering Reeds boatyard on Hickling Broad one year.