Dead Pike? Whats New?

Norton1

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/investigati ... d_1_815209

Its really not big news apart from the fact some dead fish have been found as its long has been realised that Pike are on the decline. Whilst many anglers have been stating this for several years and no one has taken much notice, just maybe they will now but the action needs to be prompt otherwise it will get to a stage where it will take many years for our waters to recover.

Yes its time for the E/A and the BASG and any other interested parties had their heads knocked together and took some serious action, otherwise I fear it will be too late.

Yes it is sad but fish die from a myriad of causes, old age, disease, poor angler handling etc.

As an angler myself it is one of the most sad sights to see prime specimens dead; but fish do die.

Sometimes the poor handling of Pike of this size by inexperienced anglers is the key culprit although clearly this is not know at this time.

I am sure the EA will look into it and attempt to establish the cause meantime as the PAC bod says - be careful with them.

Yes it is sad but fish die from a myriad of causes, old age, disease, poor angler handling etc.

As an angler myself it is one of the most sad sights to see prime specimens dead; but fish do die.

Sometimes the poor handling of Pike of this size by inexperienced anglers is the key culprit although clearly this is not know at this time.

I am sure the EA will look into it and attempt to establish the cause meantime as the PAC bod says - be careful with them.

Yes fish do die especially if they are being continually caught, Pike are under more pressure today than ever and yes they do die for various reasons.

The trouble with fish is that unlike other creatures when they die their carcasses often remain hidden.

• 7 months later...

I have not really fished for 10-15 years, but when i did a few local fishing lakes liked the pick removed when caught, i seem to remember that Felmingham mill had/still have a pick pit, a separate pond where the pick were put. I suppose if if the fish are dieing through an ecological inbalence then this wouldnt help, but if numbers are down due to thw fishermen then how about the fishermen go and catch from the fishing lakes and put them in the broads?

There is also the fact that in some cultures Pike are a popular food fish, and as we get more imigrants into the Uk, and as Pike are not available commercially from a local fishmonger, then these people are more likely to catch their own for the pot as they make traditional dishes for their families adding to the pikes population decline.

Julz :wave

the rise in Eastern European settlers in the UK is a good point and one that many Carp fishery's are coming to terms with after having a very high number of big Carp poached for sale as food eventually to end in the pot. Would not be so bad or so severe if they were catching just what they eat but it is being done for monetary gain.

We have been learning a few things of late regarding the traditions of the Eastern block countries, as one of our wedding guests, Jan, ( pronounced Yan, and a brilliant photographer) had recently married a girl from Russian decent.

They prepare Pike and fresh water river fish in a similar way to which the Americans prepare Turkey, using brine baths to marinade the fish, and then cook it with lots of seasonings, and strong flavoured vegetables to be served with it to help mask the 'earthy' taste, a sweet tasting fish it is not, I was informed that it tasted a bit like very strong mackrel in its natural unbrined state, but with darker coloured flesh.

They also eat carp rather than poultry to celebrate festive seasons such as Christmas and Easter, but if a carp cannot be found available for families living in the UK, then a pike will do. They also eat Zander and a lot of Eels, and indeed we have been invited over for dinner one day but to be honest im not too sure i would want to sample the food on their menu lol!

Julz :wave

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I read a while back that Carp were only introduced into this country to stock the ponds and moats etc of castles, monestary`s etc, primarily as a food fish. For as long as i can remember, Pike has always been regarded as a fish you can eat, though i`ve never had it, but i`ve heard it tastes horrid. Karen and i used to buy fish from Tesco`s called "River cobbler", which i heard on TV was also a freshwater fish from Europe (i think), so eating freshwater fish is not new. It just seems to me that with Angling being Britains biggest participation sport/pastime for many decades, the idea of eating what you catch has become unacceptable. There is another thing to consider, and that is with the out of control growth in the population of otters, many stillwater and river fishing clubs/venues have been reporting massive drops in fish stocks, as well as an increase in dead fish. One of the lakes i fish down here in Dorset has seen a dramtic downturn in sport over the last year, but when i last fished it, i could see the riverside vegetation being disturbed by a couple of otters, which i reported to the owner of the venue, who said there have been several otter sightings in recent months. Otters are becoming such a pest, there have been many Angling clubs asking for a "Kull" in certain areas to help stop the overpopulation. We`ve even had otters patrolling the drainage ditches around Bournemouth airport, because all the local rivers are already territorries of other otter families.

I read a while back that Carp were only introduced into this country to stock the ponds and moats etc of castles, monestary`s etc, primarily as a food fish. For as long as i can remember, Pike has always been regarded as a fish you can eat, though i`ve never had it, but i`ve heard it tastes horrid. Karen and i used to buy fish from Tesco`s called "River cobbler", which i heard on TV was also a freshwater fish from Europe (i think), so eating freshwater fish is not new. It just seems to me that with Angling being Britains biggest participation sport/pastime for many decades, the idea of eating what you catch has become unacceptable. There is another thing to consider, and that is with the out of control growth in the population of otters, many stillwater and river fishing clubs/venues have been reporting massive drops in fish stocks, as well as an increase in dead fish. One of the lakes i fish down here in Dorset has seen a dramtic downturn in sport over the last year, but when i last fished it, i could see the riverside vegetation being disturbed by a couple of otters, which i reported to the owner of the venue, who said there have been several otter sightings in recent months. Otters are becoming such a pest, there have been many Angling clubs asking for a "Kull" in certain areas to help stop the overpopulation. We`ve even had otters patrolling the drainage ditches around Bournemouth airport, because all the local rivers are already territorries of other otter families.

What does otter taste like? perhaps we could eat a few of those, Im all for killing for the table as long as its within the ballence of nature, just like the Monkjack (sorry if thants not the correct spelling), They are not indigionus and are now regarded as a pest as they rapidly spread across the county, decimating the vegitation, so why is there not more hitting the high street (plenty hitting car bumpers round here!) Im sure it makes a good pie! cheersbar

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Don`t forget you can also eat grey squirrels, though i don`t seem to remember anybody who has, and they`re not an indiginous speices, just like the american crayfish and also pigeons.

Don`t forget you can also eat grey squirrels, though i don`t seem to remember anybody who has, and they`re not an indiginous speices, just like the american crayfish and also pigeons.

I have eaten pigeon many times, but you need a couple to make a good pie, should think its the same for squirrels.

But is it such a crazy idea, very few people are willing to prepare there meat from a gutted carcase, but if those who like to trap and shoot took the likes of squirrel, pigoen, rabbit maybe even rat to a local willing butcher to be prepped and diced as stew, pie or cassarole mix.

If the person who catches the animal is either doing it for fun/sport or is getting paid as pest control/game keeper then the animal could be given to the butcher for free, then the butcher could sell an affordable food to people who cant afford prime cuts. My Mrs has just bought a joint of beef for us at the cost £5 by the time its cooked and carved for two adults and two children the portions will not be very generous, i hope there is alot of veg!

The decline in Pike on the Broads over the last few years is due to a number of factors not least the salt water surges a couple of years ago which killed many fish particularly on the Yare system. Eastern Europeans taking fish for the pot has also had an effect that can't be ignored and shouldn't IMHO be excused by saying it's part of their culture. Unfortunately at the moment it is not against the law to take fish from Rivers for the pot but there are restrictions on the number you are allowed to take.

To clear a couple of points that have been made, both Carp and Pike are available to purchase from good Fishmongers, Carp has always been for sale as it is I believe a very popular Jewish dish. These types of fish are becoming more available and I know that you can even buy Carp in Morrisons by special order.

It is a fallacy that Carp and Pike have an "earthy" taste, I think like many fish it depends on the environment they live in. I have eaten Pike a number of times in Russia in a number of forms and it has never had an earthy taste .It is very common to make soup from small Pike as it is from all small fresh water fish, my only complaint is the number of small bones. Larger Pike can be cut into steaks, dusted with flour and fried and very often Pike is hot smoked whole and the flesh flaked off. Pike flesh is also often used to make fishcakes. Pike has quite a delicate flavour and so to smother it in herbs and spices would be a waste. Pike but more usually Perch and Zander are used extensively in European cuisine particularly in the Low Countries sot it is not just an Eastern European thing, it is quite common to see Pike/Perch (Zander) dishes on menus in quite upmarket European Restaurants.

Dave cheers

I will try pike again one day, as you say it depends where it lived, I shall try one from a river as the one i tried many moons ago was from a fishing lake, and that wasnt so good!!!

I will wait for the numbers to pick up though first,!

• 9 months later...

Hi guys. Just a little post. I found a pike with a chunk taken out of it dead in the water yesterday. It's hard to see in the photo but on the bottom of the fish near the tail was what looks like a prop had hit it. I fished it out for a photo then put it back for the fish to nibble on.

P.s excuse the clothing I'd been painting the boat :P

post-1378-136713936479_thumb.jpg

I have eaten Pike many times. The best fish for eating is about 5 or 6 pounds. The trick is to skin it as soon as you can after catching it. Ideally, catch it, kill it and skin it. That gets rid of the muddiness. the flesh is pink and like cod in texture. Hmmm YUM YUM

I hasten to add I used to catck the ones I ate in trout streams, where normally pike were just killed and left. Also this was many years ago... well back in the 70s and 80s