A Good Book?

LondonGuy

I’ve not yet come across a book that is better than onlineΒ sources that are available. There’s a wealth of infoΒ available on various sites.Β For guidance on boat handling and crossingΒ Breydon this site is very good:
https://www.mynorfolkbroadsboating.co.uk/
When you arrive at the Broads pick up a copy of the free β€˜Broadcaster’, which is in newspaper format. The centre pages containΒ a lot of good advice, including tide tables, average bridge heights and so on.Β 

Β 

If you like pubs the best info at the moment is on covid systems, most riverside pubs are pretty good but there are a few to dodge, depends on your age and health.

All the guides are pre covid so food/drink times and availability are not to be relied on as are services offered.

Β 

Β 

As above, don't over prepare, there are I think some YouTube guides that could give you a head start on basic boat handling and your hire yard will give you a handover instruction and a map.

Pack a tin opener, corkscrew and torch and cast off, relax and enjoy every minute. Then book your next trip straight away because you will be hooked πŸ™‚

(These days a smartphone is a great addition to your crew, try an App called Aweigh... It has just about all you need in one place.)

Perhaps I might make a suggestion here.

Rather than try to work out an itinerary, to get a feel for what is reasonable for you, purchase the leisure 40Β Ordnance survey map and print of a copy of the distance between broads spots, both in miles and time. (I hope someone here will provide a link)

Then mosey through the multitude of photos on this site to get an idea of the sorts of places you like.

When my parents were hiring boats we use to decide in the morning where we would lunch, and at lunch time where we would go for the night. For my mother the greatest joy was the actual cruising, so waking up somewhereΒ and planning on a 4 or 5 hour cruise would be quite common. Equally there might be a cruise from Wroxham to Salhouse for example, and stay there for both lunch and the night making theΒ days cruise about half an hour.

If pubs are your thing, go through Norfolk Nog's and Jayfire's holiday tales but if it is temperance and solitude you seek then read mine!

• Like 2

I remember my first Broads holiday with time spent studying a map and trying to work out a route especially as we had young children with us at the time. It didn’t work. Some places were full so we carried on to other moorings. Some places we liked and went back to. And the children enjoyed the simple things like standing at the helm or feeding the ducks.Β 

These days because we have been back many times over the last few years we know where our favourite moorings are. And the only plan we make is ensuring we end up close enough to the boatyard on the final night for returning the boat the next morning.Β 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/09/2020 at 07:55, MauriceMynah said:

Perhaps I might make a suggestion here.

Rather than try to work out an itinerary, to get a feel for what is reasonable for you, purchase the leisure 40Β Ordnance survey map and print of a copy of the distance between broads spots, both in miles and time. (I hope someone here will provide a link)

Then mosey through the multitude of photos on this site to get an idea of the sorts of places you like.

When my parents were hiring boats we use to decide in the morning where we would lunch, and at lunch time where we would go for the night. For my mother the greatest joy was the actual cruising, so waking up somewhereΒ and planning on a 4 or 5 hour cruise would be quite common. Equally there might be a cruise from Wroxham to Salhouse for example, and stay there for both lunch and the night making theΒ days cruise about half an hour.

If pubs are your thing, go through Norfolk Nog's and Jayfire's holiday tales but if it is temperance and solitude you seek then read mine!

I use this distance calculator a lotΒ https://www.norfolkbroadsboathire.biz/distancecalculator.asp.

When the weather is c**p & you need to take your mind off things try:Β 

Prisoners Property and Prostitutes by Tom Ratcliffe

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prisoners-Property-Prostitutes-things-begining-ebook/dp/B086C9KZDH/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=prisoners+property&qid=1601365076&sr=8-1

Seems to be out-of-print but available for Kindle.

I read the book several years ago whilst on holiday on Ibiza (good weather) & my wife wondered why I kept bursting out with helpless laughter.Β  The nameΒ  of the author is a pseudonym - turns out I vaguely knew the guy (his brother was a class-mate of my brother - we were all at Stockport Grammar School).

On 11/09/2020 at 06:20, Ray said:

As above, don't over prepare, there are I think some YouTube guides that could give you a head start on basic boat handling and your hire yard will give you a handover instruction and a map.

Pack a tin opener, corkscrew and torch and cast off, relax and enjoy every minute. Then book your next trip straight away because you will be hooked πŸ™‚

(These days a smartphone is a great addition to your crew, try an App called Aweigh... It has just about all you need in one place.)

Dont forget matches and a sharp knife and a cheapo frypan.

• 2 weeks later...

if you have children, or if you haven't but haven't read them

The Coot clubΒ 

The Big Six

Β both by Arthur Ransome, fictional based on the broads, some places are accurately described others are slightly disguised.. you can play spotΒ  the place while cruising around...

Β 

Just watch out for the hullaballoos..

• Like 1

We have started to borrow eBooks from our local library. Fantastic selection of books and periodicals and free to library members. Use an app called Libby to search and download and it also functions as a capable eReader. Runs on laptops, iPad/other tablet and even your phone.Β  I didn't think I would get used to not having a physical book but now I prefer it.Β 

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

if you have children, or if you haven't but haven't read them

The Coot clubΒ 

The Big Six

Β both by Arthur Ransome, fictional based on the broads, some places are accurately described others are slightly disguised.. you can play spotΒ  the place while cruising around...

Β 

Just watch out for the hullaballoos..

if you do get moored up at Horning Staithe (a central location in the books) a visit to the post office just opposite will also find a great place to find books by and about Arthur Ransome.