• Announcements

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NBN MOBILE APP IS CURRENTLY NOT WORKING

Another Incident At Grt Yarmouth I'm Afraid.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In order to try and explain Andy's (and my own) frustration at such a long-standing conundrum as boat instruction, I would like to tell a couple of little stories : Not long ago, when I was worki

Dare I stick my hand up just to say does anyone remember years ago when the boating brochure arrived on your door mat, sitting round the table with your parents choosing a boat, booking the boat, wait

You propose a "one-time" charter skipper for first-timers that aren't affiliated to the boatyards and that the "ticket" they get lasts their entire life allowing them to hire when they are 20 and then

Posted Images

I picked up on this yesterday. Sad to see another incident down there. It will be interesting to see whether it leads to any kind of investigation depending on whether it’s in any way similar to the last one. 

For now I just wish all the best to those involved. 

Sounds a bit more than a 'man overboard incident'.      For Forensics to be there and the place taped off.       As you say Jean,   wish all involved well and sad to see another holiday curtailed which is so terrible when people have waited so long to get away.

• oldgregg changed the title to Another Incident At Grt Yarmouth I'm Afraid.

That forensics was involved makes me wonder if this was actually a 'holiday' related incident.

That aside I share every one else's concerns.

I also wonder why during this year we have had an apparent and unfortunate increase in accidents and tragedies.

57 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Speaking from experience, its not been a very good (short)season so far for some bad accidents.

I suspect that many of your fellow ancients can relate to your experiences, oh dear, what an unfortunate summer you have had! I sincerely hope that your well deserved retirement plans are not unduly impacted.

Thanks Peter.I still have battles with my health.The Hospital  phoned me Monday,I will need a scan,long overdue breathing test.And hopefully decide what treatment  for my lungs.As if I don't have enough problems.I have toothache.

• Sad 1

Recent incident update:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/police-cordon-off-quayside-after-man-injured-1-6839793

Re this incident and the fact that the air-ambulance was involved. I haven't measured the distance from the incident site to the hospital but I doubt that it's much over a mile, if that. In a blue-light situation I suspect that it is a pretty quick journey. That it was an airlift suggests to me that it was a really nasty injury.

BBC online news Norfolk at 16.10:

“The Broads Authority added that Tuesday's incident highlighted "the dangers of entering the water from a boat, especially in fast flowing tidal waters".

Make of that what you will. 

26 minutes ago, Poppy said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-54176229

"Norfolk Police and the MAIB have opened an investigation."

not according to the maib statement in the EDP

However, a spokesperson for the MAIB said they have decided against this.

They said: “We are aware of the tragic accident on the River Bure. Based on the information available, we have decided not to open a full investiation, which we only launch if there is a potential to establish safety learnings.”

My thoughts and condolences to the family and friends of the young man who sadly passed away yesterday.

May I respectively suggest that any further speculation as to the hows and whys be saved for another time and allow those that knew the fatality to grieve in peace .

2 hours ago, grendel said:

not according to the maib statement in the EDP

Both ITV local news and BBC Look East arereporting that they are. I'd trust them before the EDP :default_biggrin:

Although I understand the sentiments in my industry we discuss accidents and deaths as and when they happen in the hope education and discourse could prevent further accidents. 
In light of the high rate of incidents around that area I would expect those with experience to be screaming from the rooftops hoping to prevent further deaths 

We discuss them, but we dont speculate over the causes before the official inquiry has released the details. then if there are learning points we spread those as wide as possible.

That said we will try and emphasise the sense of wearing life jackets and other safety gear, especially around Great Yarmouth and Reedham where the tides are pretty strong, as that is good idea any  time around those areas and especially when mooring up or on deck.

• Like 1