tides

loribear

:wave hi all we went to the east coast the other day, it was bitterly cold, but noticed that the tide was right out, in fact you could hardly see it because it was that far out, & have noticed it seems to go out that far all along the east coast, so am baffled, WHY if the sea goes out that far does the broads flood so much ? lori :Stinky

I am sure you are confusing tidal height with the distance it “goes out†as you call it, in shallow areas like the east coast with gently sloping beaches the distance between the high water mark and low water mark can be as much as a click or more but the height difference between those points can be as little as a few metres. This makes no difference to the tidal height when at high water. Conversely if you look at an area where there are sheer rock cliffs the tide may not go “out†or “in†at all but just higher up the cliff, the rise and fall would be the same. Couple that with the Broads being very low lying relative to sea level and you get tidal influence far inland. Just look at the contour lines on any map and it becomes self evident.

And add to this, to empty the broads all the water needs to out through Yarmouth too, which is why the currents can be so strong there, it a bit of a bottle neck.

i was originally from sheffield myself, but now i'm a derbyshan gal. :lol:

Never mind :lol: I am actually from Rotherham 10min's from Sheffield, live and work here but most weekends I am in Norfolk. :Stinky