More Covid Restrictions Announced.

Andrewcook

42 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

One of Tan's workmates and a close friend was in Sheffield Northern General Hospital for well over 12 weeks after the first lockdown most of time in hospital her kidney functionality was under 10% because of COVID. One of my goddaughters felt under the weather so she had a test which proved to be positive, it effected her sense of  smell and taste, now some 10 weeks later her sense of taste has not yet returned.

I got the virus at the end of March. My sense of taste and smell has still not returned.  I’m still going through  phases of fatigue but Im not sure if that’s aggravated by the stress at work or just part of the ‘long covid’ 

34 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

What I can confirm now is that there are still things I cannot drink, one of which being Coca Cola which tastes like mud (not that it’s a bad thing not to drink) and I still can’t smell certain things, which in some instances is a benefit to be fair.

I used to be a chocoholic. I cant bear the stuff now, everything tastes weird and now its all about textures.  I also cant drink tap water. The chemical smell is overwhelming.  Selsie also has to run the shower for a few minutes before i get in.  The smell of water out a tap makes me wretch.  My Gp ordered an antibody test in July and I still had antibodies.  I dont know if I would still have them now

1 hour ago, grendel said:

you mean apart from the couple reported on this very forum who contracted the virus after getting the first jab, one terminally, i call death a serious complication.

That would indicate they contracted the virus before the vaccine became effective.

That is no different than any vaccine, you are just as likely to contract an infection until immunity is achieved.

Shielding will be essential for some time after vaccination and caution will always be required.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

That would indicate they contracted the virus before the vaccine became effective.

A very sad incident and condolences to Scrumpycheddar as I said on the other thread, but if you look at the unfortunate timing the full three weeks to achieve full protection would have been last Tuesday 5th Jan. They tested positive on the 30th, having had the vaccine on the 15th. Assuming up to 5 days for the virus symptoms to show and they probably caught it around a week after the first dose of the vaccine.

BBC news were reporting a similar case of a nurse who caught Covid shortly after being given the vaccine, who then took it home to her family who have also caught the virus. Again though the timescales didn't allow for full protection.

18 minutes ago, finny said:

I have just had the Pfizer vaccine earlier today and was told by the nurse it would be 12 days before the vaccine would take effect 

Finny 

Congratulations Finny.

No partying yet though.

I now know of several more who have had the jab, it is actually happening.

• Like 2

Thanks but I cant relax I have loved ones at home who have not and wont be vaccinated for a while .

I was impressed by the whole set up .the authority I work for has got through its care homes and the carers and is in the community. I didn't think I would happen so soon but we handle clinical waste and if iam honest the lads have had a bloody tough year every week we have had whole crews go down with covid and let's not forget they take in home with them so it doesn't end there and whilst we have had more then most as a department we have been bloody lucky because we had some bad cases . Being in my late 50,s I dont mind telling you I have had many sleepless nights . Iam just extremely grateful somebody at the top and recognised the risk based on the casualty figures and is putting the whole of my department through as soon as possible 

Keep strong people it's coming 

Finny

• Like 4

Meanwhile, following the over zealous policing by Derbyshire Police they have now issued the following statement.

But in a statement, the force said further guidance issued by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) had "clarified the policing response concerning travel and exercise".

The guidance said: "The Covid regulations which officers enforce and which enables them to issue FPNs [fixed penalty notices] for breaches, do not restrict the distance travelled for exercise."

The NPCC added that rather than issue fines for people who travel out of their local area "but are not breaching regulations, officers will encourage people to follow the guidance".

The force has now said it will be "aligning to adhere to this stance".

Assistant Chief Constable Kem Mehmet said: "We are grateful for the guidance from the NPCC.

Unfortunately this whole debacle has now given license to those who are truly selfish enough to go where they want rather than just travelling a few extra minutes or miles to find somewhere quieter and safer to exercise.

Essex Police have always taken the more sensible 4Es approach. Engage, Explain, Educate and lastly Enforce.

43 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

For heavens sakes, what is so hard in staying at home or at least local? 

If you live in a big city, five miles,  could well be to the first area that you could park, with enough space for a safe walk. Restricting people, to just parks or city streets would mean closer contact than in a supermarket..  However 130  mile round trips is taking the p...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Restricting people, to just parks or city streets would mean closer contact than in a supermarket

I would have to disagree with that. Last time round I was living in a city. My walks were kept to the estate where I lived and people were crossing the road to avoid each other. 

The guidance says to keep to your village, town or the part of the city where you live. To drive any distance risks breakdown or accident bringing other people into a situation of your making. Unacceptable unless really necessary. 

• Like 2

I noticed the Police used the registered keepers address from the car registration.  Lets hope Warwick Police don't check my car as it's registered with the lease company in Swindon !!!

Although the longest round trip it's done since October is 20 miles and that was for a Covid test.

34 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

A decent nationwide snowfall would do it. Snag with that is, it would hinder key workers too

Griff

My experience is that the snow brings everybody outside to play in it, build snowmen and have snow ball fights. Then there is the increased risk of car accidents and slips and falls on ice that would be the last thing the local A+E departments need.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

For heavens sakes, what is so hard in staying at home or at least local? 

The BBC news this morning had contacted Whitehall, various Government departments, The National College of Policing and The National Police Chiefs Council, they also had a retired Chief Constable on the show. None of them could define local! The Chief Constable also said that he had scanned all of the relevant legislation and could not find the word local in it, only in the guidance.

As the Chief Constable pointed out, Police rely on procedural justice, being seen to be fair in upholding the law. That one case and it should be remembered it is one case, there may well be a handful of others but a relatively low number, has done a lot to undermine public confidence and compliance.

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

If you live in a big city, five miles,  could well be to the first area that you could park, with enough space for a safe walk. Restricting people, to just parks or city streets would mean closer contact than in a supermarket..  However 130  mile round trips is taking the p...

Sorry thats nonsense I live in London with no immediate Green space but I can still get all the exercise I need within  a 1/4 of a mile of my front door quite safely as do most of my neighbours 

Fre

• Like 4

What a shame that some people of this country seem to have descended into petty squabling over such pathic details.

Wouldn't it be great if we could exploit the millions spent on our education system and work out for ourselves what would be the best thing to do for ourselves and those around us, instead of waiting for someone else to make a decision, then criticising.

What a contrast in attitudes: some people have for a long time, been prepared to volunteer to give up their spare time for others (Saturday morning kid's football training etc), while it seems that a lot of other people can't make any kind of sacrifice for the community, even in a crisis.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, SwanR said:

I would have to disagree with that. Last time round I was living in a city. My walks were kept to the estate where I lived and people were crossing the road to avoid each other. 

If only that were true.  Walking our dog around the park behind our house the other day, two teenagers passed me so close that they actually brushed my jacket as they passed.  I guess that you could ask why I didn’t move out of the way, but there was nowhere for me to go.  Some elements of the population obviously don’t get it.

On a different subject, I was chatting to a friend of mine (by phone) who is a keen golfer.  He said that a leading British professional is planning to approach the government to allow golf to recommence as  a form of exercise, in the same way as anglers have been allowed to return to the riverbanks.  Looks like a precedent has been set - where will it end?

Two Covid related tales.

First grandson attends a pre-school nursery in Wales twice a week (Thursday and Friday) and hadn't because of Christmas been in for 2 weeks.  My daughter was informed that on Wednesday a child was sent in whilst awaiting the results of a Covid test! The child tested positive so everyone in the Wednesday bubble e.g. children and staff now have to isolate.  I trying to think of the best way to say what I feel but I can't find the words.

Story two.

I work in a busy independent opticians two days a week on reception.  Non-hospital working optometrists have been knocked off/down the list for vaccines.  So, the practice contacted the local doctors' surgery to see if they could help - we look after so many of their patients and in several cases easing their workload plus doing the work of the hospital eye service at the moment.  So yesterday at 1.30 one of the doctors rang for the boss, they had a spare vaccine available (probably someone booked didn't turn up or was ill) - could someone get down to them within 20 minutes!  Earlier a younger colleague felt her nan should take priority over opticians until I explained that that particular dose of vaccine would have probably been thrown away!  Then she saw the sense of the arrangement.  We are not jumping the queue just stopping unnecessary waste.  Based on staff Risk Assessment I am 14th on the list!

Liz

• Like 2