More Covid Restrictions Announced.

Andrewcook

I have not read every post above but got the gist of the conversation.   I dont see why people who are doing the right thing should need to justify their actions.   It is the bloody idiots that have parties and visit other families in the homes that are spreading this, not people driving a mile or so to find a park.  I have to drive further than  a mile to go to the shops for food.    I think you have more chance of catching it walking on some of the small pavements where out of necessity , you either pass each other closely or risk death by being run over by a lorry or such, and you are more at risk.    Speaking about the Opticians.   The Opticians that I go to , our girls down there sit opposite you at the desk whilst advising you on glasses and ordering your spec etc.   They are not 2 meters away from you but just about a 2 1/2 feet depending on the width of the desk you are sitting at.   Although they all wear PPE , surely they are at risk with seeing the public, the same could be said for the cashiers in the supermarkets.    Along with their counterparts who I really admire,  they are really in the thick of it.   People not wearing masks etc, although I have noticed a huge sign on the door of our One Stop Shop which states NO MASK NO ENTRY.   Good for them I say.   If everyone played their part, especially the brain dead which for some reason we feel are untouchable as far as the law is concerned then we can beat this dreadful virus.

• Like 4

Whilst I respect the fact that everyone has the right to their opinion there is a massive difference to what is legal to do and what is morally the right thing to do . I often wonder if common sense isn't that common after all 

the elderly .vulnerable  are priority in the vaccination program but my own thoughts would be get the teachers vaccinated whilst off giving the a couple of weeks for the system to adjust and anybody who works with the public .taxi drivers bus drivers shop workers (all vital cogs in the wheel ) and reduce the chance serious casualty and in the process overtime a little bit of restraint from the normal whilst we get through this it sn't a great loss of liberty in the short .that said there may well be the need to cross the line from time to time but people need to ask themselves- is it necessary and what could be the implications 

There are some necessary job  roles where social distancing is virtually nil and even with control measures in place the risk factor is there  - every wondered why doctors and nurses and all around them have died

Worst bloody year in my working life and the things I need around me to ease my fears I have had to distance from them 

Moving forwards . We have the best military in the world .and let's not ever forget the hard times they have pulled this country from the brink . So I hope boris arms the with the vaccine that doesn't need sub zero conditions and let them do what they do best 

Or perhaps he could use Aldi check out staff ...........the whole country would be done by the end of the week????

My last post this - keep safe .think of others and sometimes use a bit of common sense 

Finny

• Like 2

8 hours ago, floydraser said:
13 hours ago, Meantime said:

There are other forums which are very quiet because people don't post. Maybe that's the way to go then!. 

Couldn't agree more. They will be forums populated by folks who either don't feel the need to express themselves and have learned when it's best not to say anything.

13 hours ago, Meantime said:

I shall perhaps try and limit my number of posts over the next few days. 

Please try.

Oh! the irony :facepalm::default_rofl:

I saw on the news last night that in lots of places school attendance is still between 40% and 60% and that most schools are having to ask all their staff to come in to cope with demand. They are also stating that school attendance is far higher than it was during the first lockdown. Since it has been stated that this particular strain of virus is more easily transmissible amongst school age children that seems a very strange situation!

They also stated that usage of the public transport network in London was far higher than it was during the first lockdown.

The key to beating this virus is minimising face to face or close contact where possible.

1 hour ago, finny said:

Whilst I respect the fact that everyone has the right to their opinion there is a massive difference to what is legal to do and what is morally the right thing to do . I often wonder if common sense isn't that common after all 

Very true, one of the problems in society is the ability of some to manipulate the letter of the law rather than understand its purpose hence the number of criminals walking free, as an aside looking around me I wonder how many of the people using the exercise rule would have been doing the same things before covid 19.

Fred

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

as an aside looking around me I wonder how many of the people using the exercise rule would have been doing the same things before covid 19.

Fred

I guess in more normal times people have less time to exercise, additionally when you ban or restrict the number of things that people are legally allowed to do, it is only natural that they will turn to doing the fewer remaining things they are legally allowed to do.

Speaking personally I live about three miles from the railway station. It is not uncommon for me to walk to and from the station if I need to travel to London for work. I haven't used the train for work since last March, so that's a lot of walking to catch up on somehow. I have always enjoyed walking for leisure and finding new and interesting places to walk.

• Like 1

The school situation, I totally understand that teachers and the like wish to remain safe thus a number of schools are closed. I'll take the case of two of my grandchildren, their school is closed, the staff furloughed and safe, quite understandable. However, perhaps teachers and school staff should be treated as critical workers themselves. I say this because the grandkid's mum is on the frontline at a local hospital, treating corona virus patients. However, she can't furlough, even if she wanted to. She has to go to work, she has to treat patients, she is continually at risk of bringing the virus home to her young family. However, she needs support, one being that her children are educated. Dad is able to work from home, computer animator, but that is not a job that can easily be shared with childcare. Because he is able to work he has to, furlough pay is no where near his salary, or his outgoings. Grandparents, in normal times, would step in but we are both at risk, highly so, so we are unable to help. Key worker families need support in order for them, in turn, to support those who are ill. Hospital staff go to work knowing that they are hugely at risk. Only yesterday two of my daughter's patients died and several others are really very ill indeed. The impact on my daughter's mental health is increasingly obvious as is her fatigue. On top of that she has the worry of her family, including us old folk,  and now she has the worry that her household income could be halved, that her children's education and future is under threat. Society is not treating frontline NHS staff fairly, they are not receiving the support that they deserve. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

as an aside looking around me I wonder how many of the people using the exercise rule would have been doing the same things before covid 19.

That is a good point. There is something about being told that you can only go out once a day for exercise that makes you want to use your allowance. However I think for me there was also the point that obesity and fitness can contribute to how unwell you might become and how your recovery might be impacted if you are unfortunate enough to catch the virus and become really unwell. I don’t like being indoors for days at a time anyway. But also with working from home and not even having the daily commute or walk to the shops at lunchtime that one exercise time allowed per day is very important. 

• Like 2

I agree JM with your post too. Employers of non-key workers have their part to play with supporting people like your son-in-law. We have to be flexible and understanding in that situation. I see it constantly in the business that I work in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I guess in more normal times people have less time to exercise, additionally when you ban or restrict the number of things that people are legally allowed to do, it is only natural that they will turn to doing the fewer remaining things they are legally allowed to do.

Speaking personally I live about three miles from the railway station. It is not uncommon for me to walk to and from the station if I need to travel to London for work. I haven't used the train for work since last March, so that's a lot of walking to catch up on somehow. I have always enjoyed walking for leisure and finding new and interesting places to walk.

I understand that and am not critical of anyone maintaining  their fitness levels most people would normally get a degree of exercise within their working day, I myself although long retired would normally be out every day and also enjoy walks along the river etc. which I am no longer doing what I consider wrong is people bypassing local options and travelling further afield just because they decide it is more attractive, stay local to me is not measured in miles.

Fred

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

I was told a while ago to make sure I get regular exercise to help with minor health problems, to stop them leading to major health problems. From driving and unloading artics to sitting on my a**e in an air conditioned office was a lovely step to make but didn't do a lot for my circulation. A lot of people are maybe finding working from home means even less movement during the day. We do about 1/2 hour every other day and are happy to walk around the village for a bit of fresh air.

• Like 3

Due to no longer  working  and my health  problems. Any exercise was limited. Prior  to Christmas I could  only walk for short  distances.Two weeks ago I started  a pulmonary, on line clinic. The aim to improve  my breathing. This involves a number  of exercises lasting for about forty minutes.In all honestly this is something  I may not of considered before. That said my hope  it will improve  my health. Perhaps  levels  of exercise in general  may increase.,and maybe one benefit of this situation. 

• Like 3

For the public, I think Stalin said this

A handful of deaths is tragic, thousands is a statistic 

and that sums it up. 
Most just are not seeing the deaths and suffering so can’t relate. 
A bit like seeing people die of famine on tv and you go back to eating your dinner

• Like 2

SERIOUS LOCK DOWN ADVICE

Everyone PLEASE be careful because people are going crazy from being locked down at home!

I was just talking about this with the microwave and the toaster while drinking my Pepsi, and we all agreed that things are getting bad.

I didn’t mention any of this to the washing machine, because she puts a different spin on EVERYTHING!! Certainly couldn’t share with the fridge, cause he’s been acting cold and distant!

In the end, the iron straightened me out!

She said the situation isn’t all that pressing and all the wrinkles will soon get ironed out!

The vacuum, however, was very unsympathetic… told me to just suck it up!

But the fan was VERY optimistic and gave me hope that it will all blow over soon!

The toilet looked a bit flushed but didn’t say anything when I asked its opinion, but the front door said I was becoming unhinged and the doorknob told me to get a grip!!

You can just about guess what the curtains told me..: they told me to “pull myself together!”

We will survive!!

• Haha 1

This is not an apology but as a wartime baby I as I am sure others of the same era grew up in an area that was devastated  and where everyone  put others needs before there own So perhaps I have a different perspective on the current situation, saying that I am saddened by those who cannot see beyond their own little world compared to the bigger picture.

Fred

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I see HMG is as geographically challenged, as those that travel over 100 miles to see the seals..

Of the 7 major mass vaccination centres, The East of England centre is in....Stevenage.

I guess they went to the same school as those that labelled London Luton airport or London Southend airport! 

46 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I guess they went to the same school as those that labelled London Luton airport or London Southend airport! 

Can't resist it, the Broads NP!

Why on earth would Stevenage be the vaccination centre of Eastern England? Cambridge at a push, Colchester possibly but surely Norwich would make more sense, especially for all us Norfolk & Suffolk old gits, or don't we really matter!

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

Can't resist it, the Broads NP!

Why on earth would Stevenage be the vaccination centre of Eastern England? Cambridge at a push, Colchester possibly but surely Norwich would make more sense, especially for all us Norfolk & Suffolk old gits, or don't we really matter!

Its not like you've got a motorway to get their quickly :facepalm:

• Haha 1

The East of England is one of 9 NUTS :default_eusa_naughty: created by the EU and covers a surprisingly large area from Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire in the West to Norfolk and Suffolk in the East, with Essex in the South and Cambridgeshire in the North West. 

Stevenage is on the Western part of the East of England NUT. (Nomenclature of Terriritorial Units for Statistics)

Arguably Chelmsford or Colchester would have been more central for the East of England NUT.

There are 9 NUTS and only 7 mass vaccination centres, so 2 NUTS have no vaccination centre, so things could always be worse. These 7 mass vaccination centres are only the first phase with more planned,

Guest Jayfire
26 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Even if it does appear to have shrunk a bit in the last few years!

Thats just because you're all getting on in years mate, it's to be expected I assume :default_smiley-angelic002: