More Covid Restrictions Announced.

Andrewcook

Stay at home, don’t travel . . . . . . . . . . . . Unless you need to drive over 100 miles for your vaccinations and potentially queue for sometime when you get there with your sleeve rolled up.

Yep, I can see the sense in that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

This is not an apology but as a wartime baby I as I am sure others of the same era grew up in an area that was devastated  and where everyone  put others needs before there own So perhaps I have a different perspective on the current situation, saying that I am saddened by those who cannot see beyond their own little world compared to the bigger picture.

Fred

And I wonder what effect modern journalism and social media would have if ever there was another war. We would probably all just cave in trying to save ourselves. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Talking of Royal relationships - Also off topic I know - I have just today finished watching 'The Royals' on Netflix up to the end of series four - entertaining and educational too

Griff

I’ve watched all four series of The Crown as well. Wasn’t so keen on the fourth one but probably because I remembered the events. But putting the royals aside, series 1-3 were a great modern social history. 

I do wonder how the pandemic will be viewed in 50 - 100 years time. How will it be described when students look back. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

I do wonder how the pandemic will be viewed in 50 - 100 years time. How will it be described when students look back. 

Too many were cavalier, ignorant and arrogant whilst government was weak, indecisive & slow off the mark. Pop that in a time capsule and wait & see if I'm not right!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Too many were cavalier, ignorant and arrogant whilst government was weak, indecisive & slow off the mark. Pop that in a time capsule and wait & see if I'm not right!

Your already right! People might think I'm wrong for driving a short distance to take a walk, but actually the real problem is that this lockdown is not as restrictive as the first, when it needs to be more restrictive and I don't mean on going for a walk.

40-60% children in school still even though it is only meant to be for key workers.

Churches still allowed communal worship.

Celebrities still travelling out of the country on holiday. Actually no bad thing, just don't let them back in, negative test or not till this is over.

Nurseries still allowed to open for all, not just the children of key workers.

Garden centres open this time around.

More non essential stores allowed to offer click and collect this time around.

Cleaners still allowed to come round and clean your house.

National Trust and other botanical destination gardens allowed to open.

Fishing allowed this time around. Still don't really see that as exercise.

And then you have the divide that is being allowed.

Bollywood actress allowed to have her hair done because it is for a film part. 

Elite sport allowed to continue, even though some showed total disregard for their elite status when it came to holding new year parties. 

Continuing drama, The Voice, The Masked Singer and other such TV programs being allowed to continue filming this time around. Even with social distancing the number of crew and backroom staff needed to film these shows must be significant.

The ramifications of those who can afford to keep their children out of school compared to those who cannot afford to, even if they'd like to. 

The message might be stay at home, but where it really counts, where the face to face transmission is happening, the law, or the guidance, or the rules whatever you want to call it, is not supporting it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meantime said:

The message might be stay at home, but where it really counts, where the face to face transmission is happening, the law, or the guidance, or the rules whatever you want to call it, is not supporting it.

Regretfully all too many folk are clearly not supporting the law, the guidance or the rules.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Regretfully all too many folk are clearly not supporting the law, the guidance or the rules.

I agree. It does appear that way from the media coverage. I heard a good point though, on the radio. The rules are the limit not the boundary to be pushed. It’s like the speed limit. It’s the most you can do not what you have to do. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I think this comment is political and I'm surprised it hasn't been deleted. But in the interest of balance:

This is just repeating the same old stuff peddled by the BBC and other corners of the media. Anyone brave enough to put themselves forward (and it is a brave thing to do) does so based on their political principles obviously, but also with confidence that they know how best to handle things like housing, the NHS, the economy etc. No politician anywhere in the World was, or could have been expected to be, prepared to handle a pandemic. It's so easy to criticise from a forum without inside knowledge.

And I shudder to think how any other set of people would have handled it!

Ditto all managers and supervisors.

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

I think this comment is political and I'm surprised it hasn't been deleted. But in the interest of balance:

This is just repeating the same old stuff peddled by the BBC and other corners of the media. Anyone brave enough to put themselves forward (and it is a brave thing to do) does so based on their political principles obviously, but also with confidence that they know how best to handle things like housing, the NHS, the economy etc. No politician anywhere in the World was, or could have been expected to be, prepared to handle a pandemic. It's so easy to criticise from a forum without inside knowledge.

And I shudder to think how any other set of people would have handled it!

Ditto all managers and supervisors.

It wasn't intended to be political, just an observation. If we take the Christmas truce/relaxation as an example that was. I suggest, poor judgement and in my opinion events support that view. On balance it is all a vast unknown so Borris does have both my sympathy & support but history will support, I suspect, that there have been examples of poor judgement and lack of urgency, e.g. it will happen next Wednesday rather than now. As I have suggested, let history be the judge of both my prediction and my comment. 

• Like 1