More Covid Restrictions Announced.

Andrewcook

One thing Ive noticed since this pandemic started is how quite our A&E department has become at Basildon with general medical cases. Have people stopped falling over, cutting their limbs off etc. We as a nation really do need to start to understand what a very valuable resource the nhs is, government  need to look into Dr and nurse shift patterns, the 12hour shifts need to go. A bit of live news from my wife's ward, they had an elderly gentleman from the travellers community admitted this afternoon, and now they are having to deal with dozens of irate travellers who just won't listen or leave, police are now on site, all in a days work I guess. 

• Sad 1

In the last six/seven  months  I've  been to A&Es many times.And yes numbers attending have dropped.What they tend to do,is before  you enter they ask a number of questions why you need treatment. Think this has stopped alot of unnecessary visits.Pre covid often there was many there that clearly didn't  require  treatment .

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

In the last six/seven  months  I've  been to A&Es many times.And yes numbers attending have dropped.What they tend to do,is before  you enter they ask a number of questions why you need treatment. Think this has stopped alot of unnecessary visits.Pre covid often there was many there that clearly didn't  require  treatment .

I would have to agree with that. 

Just been watching the news and not surprising really the economy shrunk by 2.6% in November. So the British Biased Corporation feel it necessary to send a reporter to Oxford Street to show us how quiet it is because surprise surprise all the shops are shut. The reporter then proceeds to conduct an interview with a retail expert Theo Paphitis who sensibly is coming live from his front room while the reporter stands looking cold on an empty Oxford Street. There is absolutely nothing in that report that couldn't have been conducted from a warm studio and save the cost of sending a crew to show us an empty Oxford Street. He should be fined for non essential travel and have his media pass revoked for 4 weeks. :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Meantime said:

He should be fined for non essential travel and have his media pass revoked for 4 weeks. :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

In fairness to him, he would have been instructed to go there by his boss, and actually he wouldn't have had to walk far -  6 mins according  to Google from the BBC to Oxford Circus. 

bbc.jpg

• Like 1

He would have been instructed to go there by a corporation that has a virtually bottomless pit of money from the license payer. Nothing about that report couldn't have been conducted from the studio. I don't know where that reporter is based, but the BBC Breakfast show on which that segment figured comes from Manchester Media City. He wouldn't have been alone, presumably camera man, sound man and some one doing comms for the live link to the studio and Theo's house.

Still at least it was safer than the essential report from Superdrug yesterday where a reporter was inside waving a mike on a pole around in front of staff and someone who had just received the vaccine from her local pharmacy. At one point he was about a metre away from the poor woman who had received the vaccine and was waiting the few minutes in case of a reaction, before being allowed to go home. 

I promise if they'd have done the report from the studio I would have believed them that Superdrug were giving out the vaccine. 

• Like 2

Just like when something happens in the airlines and you get a report from "Julie Autocutie ; BBC news ; Heathrow airport".

She has not been allowed in the airport, so she is doing her "piece to camera" from the room balcony of a chain hotel on the other side of the A4 outside the airport boundary, with a view behind of the taxiways.  I have seen them doing this.

This could just as easily have been done from the studio with some archive film of an aircraft taking off.  I think we would have got the message.

• Like 2

It can never be said too often our NHS staff are the very best and the pride of the UK

As a country I hope to goodness we look after them all, starting now with any support that can be mustered and afterwards with counseling, care and yes, rewards and remuneration!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Whilst I don`t believe everything on main stream media I believe even less from the local papers.

More truth in that particular article than perhaps you realize. I have friends and family within the NHS, all of whom have been telling me of their experiences, all of which substantiate the EDP on this one.

• Like 2

The coastal/beach carparks are all closed so I guess it's all part of the same reinforcement of guidelines.

I may be paranoid or stir crazy but it feels like there is renewed official urgency. How worried are they that the Brazil mutation may be vaccine resistant?

Just thinking out loud, I have seen no evidence either way.

My daughter who lives in N. London just phoned me with the awful news that she, my son-in-law and my youngest granddaughter have all tested positive for covid plus my granddaughter's boyfriend  who lives  here in Cambridgeshire but who has been staying there since the lockdown was announced just before Christmas. They are all  particularly worried about my son-in-law who had pneumonia back in the summer and who also suffers with an ongoing  minor blood disorder.At the moment his symptoms resemble those of a heavy cold and cough  and ther GP advises they'll all be out of the woods by this coming Thursday, which can't come soon enough for me either!

Carole

• Sad 2

I’m not sure how much thought has been given to the ongoing consequences of Coronavirus.  Obviously, everyone’s hope is that the vaccine will provide some degree of immunity going forward, however the virus will continue to mutate.  Will we need to get some kind of booster jab every year, in much the same way as the ‘flu jab is offered?  Not only that, but we are likely to see annual peaks of the death rate as the virus mutates and infection rates strike rise again?
From the point of view of the UK’s economy, I can’t see any way that we can continue to lockdown for two or three months a year.  The full economic effect of three lockdowns have yet to peak.  We have already seen several big companies go to the wall, not to mention countless small businesses.  The hospitality industry continues to struggle and many more pubs, clubs and hotels will surely close.

Whilst I sympathise with families affected by the death of a family member during this pandemic, whose loss is at the forefront of our thoughts, I can also feel for the families whose lives have been adversely affected by redundancy and resulting financial struggles, stress and possibly depression that may follow.  

Maybe, the NHS is going to have to gear up for an annual surge of cases and an annual vaccination programme.  But I can definitely foresee that we are going to have to get used to living with the virus and to the idea that more people will die from it annually.

The only thing that will be guaranteed is that the virus is not going away.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Will we need to get some kind of booster jab every year, in much the same way as the ‘flu jab is offered?

I have no doubt that this will be an annual jab, just like the flu jab.

And we already know that the flu jab is only effective against certain mutations of the flu.  And by the way, the flu is also a coronavirus.

• Like 2

As is the common cold I believe. I agree the way flu is currently dealt with seems likely to be the way forward. This will probably work exactly the same with seasonal peaks etc. If the NHS can be bolstered to shoulder those peaks once this emergency situation is past I can see a new/similar normal emerging.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marshman said:

And this one is for the ladies - Kurt Geiger is only designing flat shoes and trainers for this years collection! No high heels as he says the bottom  has dropped out of the high heeled shoes market!!!!

I think your post might have carried a warning in case Gracie happens upon it unexpectedly! 😁😁😁

• Haha 2