More Covid Restrictions Announced.

Andrewcook

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I have no doubt that this will be an annual jab, just like the flu jab.

And we already know that the flu jab is only effective against certain mutations of the flu.  And by the way, the flu is also a coronavirus.

So what measures will the NHS have to put in place on an annual basis to administer circa 40 million booster jabs every winter?  I can’t remember a year recently when they haven’t been inundated and under pressure due to winter flu through January and February in particular (which hasn’t been mentioned at all this year), which normally accounts for 15,000 deaths or more every year.

Moving forward, this is going to be a massive logistical exercise and we are going to have to get used to additional deaths arising annually too.

When I had my jab I was lucky enough to get to speak to the pharmacist who mixed the dose . I asked will this vaccine give immunity? - she replied No . You can still catch the virus and spread it .what it will do is beef up your immune system T cells to be able to recognize covid and fight it in a bid to lower hospitalization and deaths ( her words )

Whilst in my local shop over the weekend I heard an elderly lady telling the shop keeper that she wasn't worried any more as she had had the jab and was now immune .

I have to admit I have concerns of the mixed messages about what exactly this vaccine does 

Finny

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, finny said:

When I had my jab I was lucky enough to get to speak to the pharmacist who mixed the dose . I asked will this vaccine give immunity? - she replied No . You can still catch the virus and spread it .what it will do is beef up your immune system T cells to be able to recognize covid and fight it in a bid to lower hospitalization and deaths ( her words )

Whilst in my local shop over the weekend I heard an elderly lady telling the shop keeper that she wasn't worried any more as she had had the jab and was now immune .

I have to admit I have concerns of the mixed messages about what exactly this vaccine does 

Finny

I would rely on the pharmacists advice rather than the old lady in the shop. 

Vaccines work as described by the pharmacist,  it trains your body to recognize and deal with a virus,  people still catch it but the outcome is much less devastating. 

The unknown at the moment is how infection a vaccinated person is to others,  only time will tell. 

56 minutes ago, finny said:

Finny

My understanding is that the jab will protect the person receiving it from getting ill from Covid. It won't stop them getting or spreading Covid. Much was said in the early days about herd immunity and there is a lot to be said for that if you can keep the people who will be most vulnerable from Covid isolated whilst the virus runs rampant through the younger and those with stronger immune systems, we could develop herd immunity, but keeping the elderly and most vulnerable shielded whilst that happens is neigh on impossible.

If the vaccine protects those that receive it, at some point the restrictions could be lifted once the vulnerable have been vaccinated to allow the virus to spread amongst the rest of the population to develop herd immunity, knowing that if it is passed onto one of the more vulnerable the vaccine should mean illness is far less severe. Even those who have had Covid, have the ability to deal with it second time around, but not the ability to not catch or spread it. Having the vaccine is a little like already having had Covid once, is my understanding.

I get that and fully understand what the vaccine does my concerns are people's perception towards immunity which in reality wont happen and have often thought the government and for that matter the media have put too emphasis on immunity and its business as usual- which I cant see happening. This vaccine is going to be an annual jab 

Finny 

• Like 2

immune is probably the wrong word, as the jab wont prevent you catching the virus, it will (like the flu vaccine ) help your body fight the worst of the symptoms and effects, so you may still die from the virus, but you stand a better chance on not dieing, or dieing less severely. 

in future years it may well be added to the current flu vaccine as an extra strain protected against. the main reason for the vaccine is to reduce the burden on the NHS, personally I wont be doing things differently once I have had the vaccine, I dont see it as the thing that will end this pandemic, just make it more controllable.

• Like 2

Don’t forget that logistically there’s way more people needing the Covid vaccine than would usually be called for the flu vaccine. They extended the flu vaccine to over 50s this year but I only just had mine a couple of weeks ago.

If you have any thoughts or doubts about vaccine immunity.

Aged 5 I had been given my 3 polio vaccine jabs, then I got polio. The big thing is without the vaccine I would have been in an iron lung.

I got Pfizzered on Saturday the 1st vaccine I have had since 1961.

paul

23 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I was invited forward for the flu vaccine in December which I gratefully accepted

I hear on the news this morning that they are commencing asking forward the over 70's for the covid vaccine.  I'm in the over 60's bracket so who knows when it'll be my turn

Griff

This might give a clue..  https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I hear on the news this morning that they are commencing asking forward the over 70's for the covid vaccine.  I'm in the over 60's bracket so who knows when it'll be my turn

Griff

The newspapers and BBC are giving a lot of hype to this - this morning.  So please explain how the residents of Ware over 70 or vulnerable got a text last Tuesday including my daughter.  Unfortunately by the time she got through to the doctors they had run out!  At least one neighbour over 70 had her vaccine last week!

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I was invited forward for the flu vaccine in December which I gratefully accepted

Griff

The attached graphic shows the 9 groups in the first phase of the rollout and the estimated numbers in each group. The current stated aim is to complete the first four groups by mid Feb. They started with groups 1 and 2 and this morning have moved onto groups 3 and 4. 

Griff unless you have a condition that fits you into group 4 with Ian, or group 6 which generally can be defined as anyone normally invited for a free flu jab (I don't think that includes the general extension to the over 50's for this year) because of an underlying condition such as diabetes or asthma. I would imagine you are in group 7.

Screenshot_20210105-095529_PressReader.thumb.jpg.565ee22bc32e0316b83a4e7ebe015a6e.jpg

3 minutes ago, LizG said:

The newspapers and BBC are giving a lot of hype to this - this morning.  So please explain how the residents of Ware over 70 or vulnerable got a text last Tuesday including my daughter.  Unfortunately by the time she got through to the doctors they had run out!  At least one neighbour over 70 had her vaccine last week!

More than likely because they have been told not to waste vaccine. If they have no one else coming forward in the groups they are targeting then they will move on down the list. One area if it has done all it can in the targeted groups isn't going to wait for the others to catch up. Today's announcement is for the general targeting of the next groups. Once a particular group is called forward there will be the initial rush. and then it will get harder to get people to come forward due to transport, communication issues, wrong phone number, post delay, person already ill etc. So they will move onto the next group whilst still accepting people from the previous groups in parallel. They need to keep enough recipients in the pipeline to keep up with the number of vaccines they have available.

• Like 1

My sister aged 82 today still has not received hers and that is Kent.     We live in Beccles as I have not heard anyone yet saying they have had the jab be they 99 or 79.   As you say rather than waste the vaccine they look for more arms to jab , quite right too.

my daughters boyfriend had the vaccine last week as a care home worker, i had the TB vaccine at age 3 months, so that i could be introduced to my grandad before he died from TB, this of course raised a positive test when we had the vaccination later at school.

I've heard of a senior NHS worker who works from home getting the jab, and her husband who is over 50 but doesn't qualify. I've also heard of builders working in a hospital getting the jab, which I agree with.

I'm surprised no-one has commented about the order of vaccine priority. At the risk of making myself extremely unpopular, here's my go:

NHS & care workers - Teachers, police, firefighters etc. - Essential retail staff - Anyone unable to work from home - Students - the rest of those employed - as you were. I've probably missed out a group or two but that's generally the idea.

That's my attempt at prioritising those who at most risk of actually spreading the virus. It puts me and probably most of you at the bottom of the list I know, but maybe we should put self interest aside for a while.