More Covid Restrictions Announced.

Andrewcook

5 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I am afraid I still can't see what the "end game" is.

The vaccination will prevent the "at risk" categories from falling seriously ill or dying prematurely, of existing illnesses.

But if you are immunised, you can still spread the disease, just by touching a supermarket trolley.  We are not going to kill the virus, any more than we have ever killed the flu, or the common cold.  And we all know how many people die "of" the flu every year.  The vast majority of the population simply get a bout of winter flu and get over it.  We have been doing this since living memory. Will this virus be any different, now that there is a vaccine?

Meantime, hundreds of businesses will never open again and hundreds of thousands are due to be redundant. There will have to come a time - and very soon - when the elderly are protected by the jab and the country can get on with normal life and an economic recovery. 

If this lockdown continues into the summer then pubs, theatres, concerts and much else of our culture, will just be part of a by-gone age.

Agreed.  In a normal year, there are 15,000+ deaths as the result of winter ‘flu and the NHS is always under pressure.  I’ve seen no mention of ‘flu deaths this year, so assume that they’re being lumped in with Covid related deaths.  Call me cynical if you like, but that’s the way I see it.

As Vaughan rightly said, if the lockdown continues much longer, the hospitality industry will be severely damaged, theatres and cinemas will close and many people will be made redundant.  Those self employed involved in businesses like hairdressing must be wondering how long they can sustain further delays in re-opening.  House repossessions will become commonplace as job losses increase which will inevitably cause mental health issues for many, increasing the numbers already suffering from depression caused by virtual imprisonment from the restrictions in place.  Aside from fishing, no forms of recreational activity are currently permitted aside from taking some exercise.

Perhaps the realisation that the vaccination will not prevent the transmission of the virus, but lessen the effects if contracted, will make us come to terms with the existence of it, in the same way as we have with other illnesses.

I understand that contracting the virus again may be fatal, however at the age of 64, I have more years behind me than in front.  I don’t want to waste too many of them hiding from something for which there may never be a cure.  

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

As to this latest Roma has it we all could have our Summer ruined and it's getting  beyond the joke  on us all. As I was hoping for March or April  to  be  away on the Broads for us all to chill out. 

Better ruined than dead?  Personally I'm being pessimistic towards the thought of any real return to normality for this summer, let alone the Spring. Quite simply we shall make the best of what we have. Thank goodness we live here! What will be will be.

• Like 8

Hi I had my jab yesterday very well organized at local surgery, booked in,  queued out side then called in,  answered some questions then asked what arm i would like it in i felt the swab more then the injection( not sure i had one ) then given a card with type and date with a space for date of second one along with a leaflet telling what side effects you might get,  went outside where i showed a volunteer the time i had it  then had to sit in marquee for 15 minutes, even had a large clock on the wall in case you didn't have a watch,  when you got up to leave another person came up and wiped the chair all over and home we came had a slight muzziness last night, other wise i wouldn't know i have had it, cant wait for second one was also surprised how soon i have had it was expecting end of February at least. jolly well done NHS and Boris. John 

• Like 5

Had mine yesterday, though not in the age category, I restart my chemotherapy in a week so deemed necessary, feel a bit rough today but told to expect that.

Got a few funny looks and one comment along the lines of what are you doing here, obviously being in a different age bracket to the rest of the queue, told him I slipped the doctor a few quid to jump my turn!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Okay here goes.  Opticians and all front line staff were added to the health care worker category in Hertfordshire last weekend and I got a text on Tuesday to say I could book a test at the Lister in Stevenage.  This isn't the vaccination hub in Stevenage but the main hospital.  My colleague and I went over on Wednesday afternoon.  It was all arranged very efficiently and we had the Pfizer jab and given a date of the 31st March for the 2nd one.  Because we went together and work together, we were jabbed in the same room by a very cheerful A&E nurse who I can only assume was doing it on her day off!  We then waited the 15 minutes and left.

My arm was sore and it hurt in the night, my colleague who is 20 years my junior had a very sore arm, to the point she couldn't lift it up.  However........................

As I got home, I got a WhatsApp message through the work chat group to say that the local doctors had some spare inoculations from their local session and anyone who hadn't had the hospital jab yet was to rush down there if they could.  It turned out they had 11 spare and the opticians were able to make use of 7!

That evening the WhatsApp group started to discuss bad reactions and I was supposed to be furloughed on Thursday but at 8.30 in the morning I had the boss ring up.  First had I had the jab, and then was I okay, can you come in!!!!  It turned out that the doctor's surgery jab was the AstraZeneca one and all the younger members of staff (under 30) were suffering from high temperatures and felt dreadful.  Some of the older staff members felt rough but nothing like these youngsters!  One staff member was still ill yesterday. 

One staff member took paracetamol every four hours from the having the jab and that seemed to help her.

It should also be noted that a large number of staff members have had Covid - mostly but not all in the first wave before lockdown and there is a suggestion that there is a greater reaction to the jab for this reason as well?

So it seems just makes sure you have a supply of paracetamol just in case which was the advice at the beginning of the pandemic.  Also the older you are, the least reaction you have!

Liz

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Great news that you had your vaccination Liz. Hope you stay safe and well now  

We live quite close to a vaccination centre and it also makes me wonder whether they are running some kind of backup list for local residents who could be there in minutes.