More Covid Restrictions Announced.

Andrewcook

8 hours ago, floydraser said:

And now the news seems to be softening us up for the possibility that the vaccines don't do much at all. They don't seem able to say clearly the level of protection given.

Perhaps I can offer an update on that - from a reliable source!

I am told that vaccination will not necessarily stop you getting the virus.  What it does is attack the symptoms.  So you may still get it although you may not know you have had it.  But you will not get seriously ill or hospitalised.

This also means of course, that you can still spread it about even if you have had the jab, so precautions must still be taken.  The aim is that once all those at risk are immunised, normal life can start to resume and COVID can be treated more or less the same as the flu has been, for decades.

In my daughter's hospital, those who are dying are still those who are elderly and who have existing serious medical conditions.  There have only been two younger people, who were felt to be the "exceptions that prove the rule". 

She seems very satisfied at the job they are doing, although very tired at the end of a day that is often 12 hours.  She has been on six days a week since December and only takes Friday off as that is a day when the kids are not in school.  The vaccination clinic that she is running was one of the first in the country and has been doing around 300 a day, mostly people brought in from care homes, and their staff.  Last night, they achieved their personal target of 1000 injections in one weekend, which meant the clinic was open until 11PM on Saturday.

• Like 13

I am more than thrilled to say that The Management and myself went yesterday for our jabs.    To me it was like winning the lottery, so pleased.    We had to travel to Southwold from Worlingham , our appointment being 4.50.   We were telephoned on the day before.    So well organised and the volunteers were such an uplifting happy lot.    No queues, just went straight in.   I would have travelled any distance to have it done.   However, saying that not everyone has transport etc.

3 weeks until the jab starts to take effect.   I dont care how much immunity it gives me, anything is better than no immunity.    Arm a bit sore last night but fine today.   I even slept on it.    What people have to remember this is not the golden bullet, it is just a start, still have to uber careful.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, addicted said:

Following my earlier post Tony received an invitation by text about an hour ago to make an appointment on line to have his jab which he got me to do for him. It's next Friday that being the earliest on offer. If I haven't  received my appointrment by then I'll go with him and see if they'll do  mine too while we're both there. Which would be very convenient. You can but ask.

Carole

Carole,  ring first and make an appointment.  If you are the driver and qualify.   Dont delay because they go quickly.    If you are in the qualifying age group they will if possible fit you in.   The criteria is , make the appointment, if your name is not on that list then forget it.  You cannot just turn up.     There was a lady last night that was just 3 months off of being over 70 and her husband was 75 , he had his but they would not give her hers and she remained in the car.     So in 3 months time she will be eligible and have to make the journey again.     She was like us not by any means local to the health centre.     One of the volunteers told me they had had numerous people from the Beccles and Bungay area.

7 minutes ago, Hylander said:

There was a lady last night that was just 3 months off of being over 70 and her husband was 75 , he had his but they would not give her hers and she remained in the car.     So in 3 months time she will be eligible and have to make the journey again.     She was like us not by any means local to the health centre.    

This was very unfortunate but fair enough; we've heard about what happens when there is vaccine left over at the end of the day because of storage problems, but doing extras may cause a shortage and someone who does qualify could be turned away? There's always going to be borderline cases and knowing my luck, that'll be me! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

This was very unfortunate but fair enough; we've heard about what happens when there is vaccine left over at the end of the day because of storage problems, but doing extras may cause a shortage and someone who does qualify could be turned away? There's always going to be borderline cases and knowing my luck, that'll be me! 

You are spot on there.   I was earwigging to a conversation between the doctors and I heard them say that this was the last batch they had.    So if you get the chance , grab it with both hands while they have supplies.    They only book for the vaccine available.   Obviously if someone cannot make it for a serious reason then there would be a spare one but it is rare.

I did hear one the news that for some reason a Health Centre could not open (probably due to bad weather) so they took the whole lot around to Care Homes and used them up there so no wastage.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

You are spot on there.   I was earwigging to a conversation between the doctors and I heard them say that this was the last batch they had.    So if you get the chance , grab it with both hands while they have supplies.    They only book for the vaccine available.   Obviously if someone cannot make it for a serious reason then there would be a spare one but it is rare.

I did hear one the news that for some reason a Health Centre could not open (probably due to bad weather) so they took the whole lot around to Care Homes and used them up there so no wastage.

Whilst their pub is closed my daughter in law is doing 'traffic management' at our local Folkestone centre.  On her first day she was offered a jab as they had one left, which of course she took rather than it being wasted.  At the moment if they have any over it is being used at the Police Station which is nearby so no wasteage there!

• Like 2

A friend's daughter does voluntary work and as part of that she helps an elderly  man who has a condition  that requires him to take regular walks but he is unable to do this without assistance. When he needed to attend  the clinic for his Covid jab she took him  and while there asked if it was possible for her to have her jab at the same time. the response was " roll up your sleeve" and it was administered immediately.  If I can find the number to call |I will try to book an appointment for me while there.

Carole

3 hours ago, Hylander said:

Carole,  ring first and make an appointment.  If you are the driver and qualify.   Dont delay because they go quickly.    If you are in the qualifying age group they will if possible fit you in.   The criteria is , make the appointment, if your name is not on that list then forget it.  You cannot just turn up.     There was a lady last night that was just 3 months off of being over 70 and her husband was 75 , he had his but they would not give her hers and she remained in the car.     So in 3 months time she will be eligible and have to make the journey again.     She was like us not by any means local to the health centre.     One of the volunteers told me they had had numerous people from the Beccles and Bungay area.

It won't be 3 months, unless they change the list of who to do next.. On current predictions  it will be early to mid February for a 74 year old with no illnesses

1 hour ago, addicted said:

A friend's daughter does voluntary work and as part of that she helps an elderly  man who has a condition  that requires him to take regular walks but he is unable to do this without assistance. When he needed to attend  the clinic for his Covid jab she took him  and while there asked if it was possible for her to have her jab at the same time. the response was " roll up your sleeve" and it was administered immediately.  If I can find the number to call |I will try to book an appointment for me while there.

Carole

She probably got it because she was a voluntary driver.    Don't rely on just being able to turn up.   Being serious, if everyone took the attitude of just turning up chaos would ensue.    Dont take everything that people tell you as gospel.   I have learnt that one the hard way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SwanR said:

Reports from a reliable source are that our local vaccination centre is deserted today. I can’t help wondering whether they ran out of vaccine. Not good though. 

Could be the frost preventing staff or the virus getting there. The news this morning said that some centres were not able to open due to weather. Surely you're English enough to know that two snowflakes brings the country to a standstill! :default_biggrin:

It's almost encouraging to see a bit of normality. :default_sailing:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your replies. I’m a long way down the list. Probably be summer before they get to me. It’s great to read of other folk getting their vaccinations done but it’s why we need this to keep pushing on apace. Otherwise the rest of us remain at risk for longer. 

you may well find that the vaccine deliveries are scheduled to give the staff a day off to recover from the hectic schedule. or indeed that monday is the day the delivery is due to arrive, so to prevent queues they dont schedule vaccines when they may only have a half day to administer them, depending upon the delivery time.

well thats a bit of good news, I went for my regular blood check this morning as I am on blood thinning medication, and was informed that as far as they have seen the pfizers jab does not affect the medications effects, this has been a worry to me as previously just about anything new messes up the INR value and the medication doses. but the pharmacy nurse assured me that a lot of her patients she visits to do the test have had the vaccine and are not getting their dosing affected by it.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, grendel said:

well thats a bit of good news, I went for my regular blood check this morning as I am on blood thinning medication, and was informed that as far as they have seen the pfizers jab does not affect the medications effects, this has been a worry to me as previously just about anything new messes up the INR value and the medication doses. but the pharmacy nurse assured me that a lot of her patients she visits to do the test have had the vaccine and are not getting their dosing affected by it.

That is reassuring grendel.    Hope that will help others who also are concerned.

21 hours ago, Hylander said:

Obviously if someone cannot make it for a serious reason then there would be a spare one but it is rare.

Not that rare, Mandy has just completed 2 weeks of working in vaccination centres as well as her day job, she did tell me how many needles she'd stuck in peoples arms in that period, but I cant remember, she has now got 3 days off to put her feet up before starting again

Any doses that are left at the end of the shift are given to the doctors / nurses / volunteers / people who are local so they are not wasted

Unfortunately living 20 miles from the centres where she works I couldn't get there in time, but they try not to waste them

I'm 63 so will have to wait a few more months before I get one!

But as I said earlier on here Mandy has had both her doses, she is 60 and had very little side effects from it

When you get the call get the vaccine please

• Like 3

That is good Tim.      However , there are still many over 80s that have not received their jabs yet ,   I do hope they get theirs soon.   My sister 82 had hers last Thursday which I was pleased about.    You are correct there are very little side effects for the majority of folk.   My arm is just a little tender but not that you would notice until you lean on it.   Small price to pay for something that is going to safe your life.

• Like 1