More Covid Restrictions Announced.

Andrewcook

10 minutes ago, Bonny said:

If you can walk, or perhaps cycle to your boat, are you allowed to take it out?

I haven't seen anything specific against it, although last time the point was well made that if you got into any difficulties while out it would add an unfair burden on the emergency services!

• Like 4

Much has been said that this spike started when schools etc. reopened. I agree with that, but I think it was all the partying going on by those students that caused the problems, not the educational institutions in themselves.

To have all those students coming back 'home' for Christmas then back afterwards will undo all the good this short lockdown will do, given that there will be the "Start of term" parties.

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody! Youngsters like to party and youngsters think they are invincible. A very dangerous combination these days.

How Parliament can control this is anybody's guess. Asking youngsters to do as they are told might be a step in the right direction, perhaps threatening expulsion from university if they fail to do so might be another. It needs to be spelled out to them that further education is not a right, it is a privilege, and one that is gifted by the very people they are threatening by their carefree attitude. 

• Like 8

They don’t. 
You can legally go fishing. Anytime. 
with someone from your family 
See angling trust. 
It’s classed as a recreation 

and you can travel to it. 
As it stands at the moment. 
so can you fish in your boat?

rules are strange sometimes you think you understand them...

Having seen a group (4) of students still celebrating halloween at 6.30am this morning when i headed for (probably the last) boot fair, I can see your point MM. the youngsters dont seem to get as badly affected when they do get it, so are more blase about following the rules, and I guess if they are mixing in lectures they dont see any difference when it comes to parties on campus after lectures. 

As a boating forum the latest rules that apply to us are listed in the section 11.

11. Travel

You should avoid all non-essential travel by private or public transport.

Essential travel includes, but is not limited to

essential shopping

travelling to work where your workplace is open or you cannot work from home

travelling to education and for caring responsibilities

hospital GP and other medical appointments or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health.

If you need to travel we encourage you to reduce the number of journeys you make, walk or cycle where possible, or to plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport. This will allow you to practise social distancing while you travel.

Overnight stays and holidays away from primary residences will not be allowed- including holidays in the UK and abroad. This includes staying in a second home, if you own one, or staying with anyone you do not live with or are in a support bubble with. There are specific exceptions, for example if you need to stay away from home (including in a second home) for work purposes.

You must not travel if you are experiencing any coronavirus symptoms, are self-isolating as a result of coronavirus symptoms, are sharing a household or support bubble with somebody with symptoms, or have been told to self-isolate after being contacted by NHS Test and Trace.

• Thanks 7

That's that then really, boating apart from essential maintenance perhaps is not an essential journey and you can't stay overnight on it anyway, unless of course it is your main residence.

I note that not traveling is advice rather than law so some will take that as meaning they can do as they like. However that attitude is a big part of the problem and is in effect antisocial.

• Like 3

Common sense & discretion would seen to me to be the answer. We are allowed to go fishing and fishing on the Broads is so often from a boat. It would be wrong to abuse that privilege but it would be understandable that an angler would wish to fish their local broad for example. Recreation covers a multitude of sins, interpret it as you will. I am not convinced that a journey from Sheffield to Stalham in order to go fishing, for example, would be within the spirit of the guidelines! 

• Like 3

Common sense and discretion have not worked during  this pandemic. Our hospitals need protection from being overwhelmed by Covad.I may sound like a broken record,but recovering from lung surgery,I'm so grateful that my operation  went ahead.I spoke with a few people  in hospital, who had there operation  delayed due to Covad.So important that hospitals can continue as normal as possible and not just dealing  with Covad.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Poppy said:

I do have an appointment for an eye test a week on Monday.

I'm sure it will be cancelled, so Im investigating a trip to Barnard Castle. :default_norty:

My daughter working in an opticians in Wales has carried on as normal so you might not have to go to Barnard Castle!  I've only just gone back to work in our local opticians but all the safety protocols are now in place (unlike in March) - I suspect at least emergency and monitoring eye conditions will continue and I wouldn't be surprised if your eye examination goes ahead?

Barnard Castle wouldn't have the capacity to cope with the influx of people so that might be why opticians can continue operating!  I will probably find out on Monday but haven't heard anything since the announcement from the bosses!

Liz

3 minutes ago, LizG said:

My daughter working in an opticians in Wales has carried on as normal so you might not have to go to Barnard Castle!  I've only just gone back to work in our local opticians but all the safety protocols are now in place (unlike in March) - I suspect at least emergency and monitoring eye conditions will continue and I wouldn't be surprised if your eye examination goes ahead?

Barnard Castle wouldn't have the capacity to cope with the influx of people so that might be why opticians can continue operating!  I will probably find out on Monday but haven't heard anything since the announcement from the bosses!

Liz

Meanwhile, my Ma in Law (97) has regular hospital visits to monitor her Glaucoma. She has just heard that her next will be by a 'phone call.   Please advise (anyone) how the pressure in the eyeball can be measured over the phone !

11 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Meanwhile, my Ma in Law (97) has regular hospital visits to monitor her Glaucoma. She has just heard that her next will be by a 'phone call.   Please advise (anyone) how the pressure in the eyeball can be measured over the phone !

Quite! Hence why opticians were seeing people with these conditions.  Initially at lockdown it was emergencies including broken spectacles, the next level was being able to see people such as your Ma in law or diabetics or patients with other eye conditions and now anyone can request an eye examination.  As of Thursday who knows!  There was a figure quoted in the papers some weeks ago of how many people that had gone blind as a result of Covid because they didn't seek help!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Poppy said:

I'm in the process of recording the lengthening litany of errors that have developed regarding my wife's condition, including Glaucoma, as a result of phone consultations and the very obvious conclusion that some doctors don't read a patients notes. My number three is a consulting pharmacist and I have pointed this out to her, she was horrified but it is an obvious conclusion.