More Covid Restrictions Announced.

Andrewcook

7 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Can you point out where I have criticised any extension of the furlough scheme? I was unaware that I had,either actually or by inference.

You haven't criticised the furlough scheme extension, just used it as a means to suggest that lockdown will go on and on and on.

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

Looks like the Lock down wil go on .. and on.. and on...

An unfounded suggestion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

sadly under the publication of misinformation clause of the new coronavirus 2020 act they are passing this speculation could lead to fines or imprisonment (which is one of the reasons we ask people not to pass on unsubstantiated speculation) its best to check here -https://sharechecklist.gov.uk/ before posting speculative items that might lead you into trouble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ray said:

Speculation is not misinformation, it is by definition speculative and not presented as fact.

What next? The Thought Police!

Thank you.  Pehaps I am not as much of a Pollyanna as most here ( and not just on this topic. )  

Be prepared is my stance.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, grendel said:

sadly under the publication of misinformation clause of the new coronavirus 2020 act they are passing this speculation could lead to fines or imprisonment (which is one of the reasons we ask people not to pass on unsubstantiated speculation) its best to check here -https://sharechecklist.gov.uk/ before posting speculative items that might lead you into trouble.

That's just blatant censorship

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, grendel said:

Genuine question - to which section of the Coronavirus Act 2020 are you referring, please?

• Like 1

Paladin, its part of the online harms bill, but has been related to the coronavirus act (and I have to admit I have not read it all), but it is among the areas we research to ensure the forum complies with the latest and upcoming legislation that might affect the forum and social media in general. I just receive the reports from our experts and do my best to ensure we stick within the guidelines. (and you lot all thought us moderators had an easy life).

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, grendel said:

Paladin, its part of the online harms bill, but has been related to the coronavirus act (and I have to admit I have not read it all), but it is among the areas we research to ensure the forum complies with the latest and upcoming legislation that might affect the forum and social media in general. I just receive the reports from our experts and do my best to ensure we stick within the guidelines. (and you lot all thought us moderators had an easy life).

Thank you, grendel. Now knowing where to start, I have looked at the White Paper which was published earlier this year. The On-Line Harms Bill will not be enacted until 2023/24 at the earliest, so it seems you were rather premature in your assertion that members are at risk at the moment.

I agree that misinformation should not be spread about, but I don't think genuine speculation falls in that category. This is, after all, a discussion forum and one of the points in the White Paper is that there should be freedom of expression. Expressing an opinion that the lock-down could extend beyond 2 December (which hasn't been discounted by HMG) is very different from, for example, suggesting that Covid-19 could be treated  by injecting disinfectant (attr: Donald J Trump).

• Like 4

it all then comes down to interpretation. or whether the inference that lockdown would be longer could be said to be a logical extension of the fact that the furlough scheme had been extended, or whether someone was just being a cheeky chappie when he suggested it.

the fact is that the legislation is in the pipeline to control misinformation on the internet (and yes I too was being a cheeky chappie when I suggested it could be used in this instance) and that we as a forum need to be aware of it and its implications, particularly as you say where it has a bearing on the covid situation because as we have seen with the comment attributed to Donald Trump, even the greatest amongst us can fall foul of passing misinformation.

You may take away from this that as a forum we are keeping an eye on current and future legislation that may come into being to ensure we comply and ensure the continuance of the forum by being ahead of the game in compliance.

• Like 2