More Covid Restrictions Announced.

Andrewcook

2 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

The NHS are contacting you when it is your turn.

The 96 year old Mother in law had her notification come through from the GP by text. Followed the link and it is booked for saturday.

Great news, 21 days and she can go into a care home :default_rofl:

The NHS number is on all communications already.

I took mine, a mere 89 year old last wednesday. I think the checks are designed to be quick as they are trying to get through so many in a day, and but accurate to make sure no-one is jumping the queue.

For my flue jab last month I wasn't even allowed to sit as they were trying to jab one person every three minutes on a Saturday morning. Standing up meant they didn't have to sanitize a seat.

• Like 2

Recalling parliament referred to above is no big issue like it use to be when MP's had to leave their villas in Tuscany and return home, it's now a 'virtual' parliament with MP's sitting at home in any case, only having to switch on their computers.

Unfortunately the government can no longer bring in tier changes and lock downs straight away, as a couple of months ago MP's on both sides of the house forced a debate to make it law that these measures could only be enacted once approved by the house thus causing a delay to any Covid response.

Tiers 2,3,4 or lock down haven't mattered at all to my wife and myself, s we have been shielding for 10 months now and it just makes our blood boil to see the media cover of crowds congregating and broadcasting inane sound bites from idiots among the public.

• Like 3

well today is my mothers 90th Birthday, and while she is able to get around at home, I think she would need transport to get to the drs for a jab, neither her nor my father have easy access locally to relatives with transport, I am over 30 minutes away and am probably the nearest with a car in the family, so the question comes down to do they risk a taxi ride to get the jab.

Just been SKYPing with my brother in the UK.  His daughter (recently qualified as a doctor & working in A & E of a London hospital) now has Covid for the second time.  Does not bode well.

First time was April & in July had a positive anitbody test.

He wrote that she had also been vaccinated but might have been infected around the same time.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

well today is my mothers 90th Birthday, and while she is able to get around at home, I think she would need transport to get to the drs for a jab, neither her nor my father have easy access locally to relatives with transport, I am over 30 minutes away and am probably the nearest with a car in the family, so the question comes down to do they risk a taxi ride to get the jab.

You don't know who else has been in the taxi before. I personally would go and collect her and take her to the doctors for the jab. It might be a 30 min journey, but is allowed for essential medical needs and far safer than a taxi.

• Like 2

well it turns out they have been offered the vaccine, but couldnt get to the location to get it, so are awaiting the one that the doctors will be able to administer, my mum doesnt want to get a taxi, and has trouble getting into and out of a normal car they tell me, the silly bit is that they only live a few hundred yards from the surgery, but thats too far for her to manage

The cracks are starting to appear in the vaccination programme! My friend (90) had her first Pfizer jab pre-Christmas, with the second booked for yesterday, 6th. When the change in the length of time between jabs was announced, I went online to check if she had to attend or not. It stated that if your second jab was due after the 4th of January, you should not attend, but wait to be contacted. Her friend next door, with no internet access, phoned their GP, who said they should attend! I took them both to the vaccination hub, and jabs were jabbed. The staff said that they were worried that there were few people attending, and wondered why!!! Hope this isn't a harbinger for the rest of the vaccination programme.

On 06/01/2021 at 16:30, Meantime said:

You don't know who else has been in the taxi before. I personally would go and collect her and take her to the doctors for the jab. It might be a 30 min journey, but is allowed for essential medical needs and far safer than a taxi.

Hopefully your local taxi company is following the recommended measures that we are .

Screen between front and rear 

All interior impact surfaces wiped with anti bac after every passenger 

All exterior handles anti bac wiped after every passenger 

vehicle sprayed inside with anti vac spray after every passenger 

no front seat passengers 

maximum of two rear passengers if from same household (saloon cars)

masks worn by both driver and passenger(s)

all payment machines anti bac wiped after every use 

driver hands either washed with soap and water or hand gel after every passenger 

any drivers seen to not be observing these rules (in my company) they are no longer permitted to work during the pandemic 

• Like 2

A word of pessimistic caution from your Pitsea correspondent: The vaccine is only proven to be 95% effective in trials after 2 doses. I would treat your elderly and vulnerable loved ones as if they were in the 5%, if you want to be sure of protecting them. And now, back to the studio, where everyone is even more pessimistic than me. :default_wink:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Regulo said:

A word of pessimistic caution from your Pitsea correspondent: The vaccine is only proven to be 95% effective in trials after 2 doses. I would treat your elderly and vulnerable loved ones as if they were in the 5%, if you want to be sure of protecting them. And now, back to the studio, where everyone is even more pessimistic than me. :default_wink:

it's 95% effective against catching the virus, so far no one has had serious complications from catching the virus  even after just the one jab.

• Like 1

Ooooh! An optimist!!! Now, now, TheQ, we can't have that. :default_eusa_naughty:. The default state on here is grumpy pessimism. If you want to deviate from the norm, please apply in writing at least 14 days in advance. Include a passport photograph and full bank details.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Regulo said:

I don’t think that any vaccine will ever be 100% effective.  To achieve 95% efficacy in such a short time in my opinion is truly remarkable.  Surely that level of potential protection should be applauded and welcomed.  I still think it worth remembering that less than 1% of people who are affected by the virus, die from it and if that is made lower by the vaccine, bring it on. 
The other thing that I have in the back of my mind is that hospitals always report being overrun at this time of the year with winter flu.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheQ said:

it's 95% effective against catching the virus, so far no one has had serious complications from catching the virus  even after just the one jab.

you mean apart from the couple reported on this very forum who contracted the virus after getting the first jab, one terminally, i call death a serious complication.

1 minute ago, grendel said:

you mean apart from the couple reported on this very forum who contracted the virus after getting the first jab, one terminally, i call death a serious complication.

I've never seen that and in all the articles I've read they they reported what I said..

One of Tan's workmates and a close friend was in Sheffield Northern General Hospital for well over 12 weeks after the first lockdown most of time in hospital her kidney functionality was under 10% because of COVID. One of my goddaughters felt under the weather so she had a test which proved to be positive, it effected her sense of  smell and taste, now some 10 weeks later her sense of taste has not yet returned.

The thing to remember is yes the first jab will give a much lower risk of serious illness and even lower risk of death from covid but it takes up to 3 weeks before it works, it's not the vaccine destroying covid it's your body learning to destroy covid and takes time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

. . . . . One of my goddaughters felt under the weather so she had a test which proved to be positive, it effected her sense of  smell and taste, now some 10 weeks later her sense of taste has not yet returned.

I believe that I had the virus back in April.  I had all of the reported symptoms and lost some of my sense of taste and smell.  At the time, I was not able to be tested and it took about three weeks to recover to a point I felt fit enough to return to work.  A couple of months later, the loss of ones sense of taste and smell were added to the list of acknowledged symptoms, which further cemented my personal theory that I had indeed had the virus.  What I can confirm now is that there are still things I cannot drink, one of which being Coca Cola which tastes like mud (not that it’s a bad thing not to drink) and I still can’t smell certain things, which in some instances is a benefit to be fair.

Eight months on, I do wonder whether I will ever recover them fully.