Locks Geldeston

NorfolkNog

15 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

No, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. In truth I have yet to read or hear a good review. Seemingly another good pub spoilt.

Absolutely JM 

Colin did a great job and maintained the character of the place, not easy. 

Love Grain and their beers but not convinced they got this one right. If Colin did get the elbow then it has come back to bite them. Very sad. 

Have looked in all the obvious places to see if the place is for sale, nothing to suggest that it is.

Looked at their website, they close at 7.00 in the evening! When Collin was there it sometimes closed at 7.00 in the morning (Lock-in)! Granted that they have Covid to cope with but closing at 7.00 is admitting defeat. The Geldeston Wherry must see the Locks curtailed hours as Christmas coming early. 7.00 closing, wow, sad. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I have always found them very helpful.

From what I understand, I think their attitude is aimed more at the hire boats Alan, but then what do I know :default_biggrin:

Yes, I've commented on this before. I think the issue is very much around hire boats. I had the opportunity to give it another try a couple of weeks ago thanks to a very kind offer of an afternoon trip out. Not on a hire boat. No issues this time and pleasant enough by the river. But any landlord should be welcoming to all - interesting to note that on the same afternoon the Ferry was rammed and is probably one of the best examples of a well run and welcoming pub. 

DSC_8875.JPG

DSC_8876.JPG

• Like 3

Another pub with great memories of my youth, right back to when Dick Chance was landlord and later Peter Tallowin, son of Gilly Tallowin of Horning New Inn.  He was doing a roaring trade in the 80s, by land and by river.

The Frostbites sailing club used to do downriver races from Thorpe, with a big session in the pub for lunch on Sundays. Not sure if they are still welcome there now.  Probably not.

I too have found the pub most frosty on the only two times I have darkened the door, without bothering to stop for a drink. I wouldn't want to eat there either as we seek a pub lunch on a boating trip, rather than a high priced "gourmet experience".

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

the Ferry was rammed and is probably one of the best examples of a well run and welcoming pub. 

I guess you mean Surlingham Ferry? Don’t think that Reedham Ferry or Horning Ferry come up to their standards. Stokesby Ferry is good I understand although haven’t been in there for a while. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Yes he can be a bit like Basil,but I've never had a problem  there.I remember the pub before it became the waters edge.Much better now.

I think we will have to disagree on that one. In it's pomp the Wood's End was one of the best. I'm afraid it is another example of how to destroy a pub. The character has been surgically removed, the management is arrogant and that permeates through the staff. 

• Like 7

I am thinking back to another lovely day, sometime in the early 70s, when we called in at the Woods End while sailing Evening Flight back to Thorpe.

Moored alongside the Albion, met Ewan Anderson and one or two other stalwarts in the bar and several pints later, joined the Norfolk Wherry Trust.

Quite a job that turned out to be!

• Like 1

Mandy, me and dog stopped at the Waters Edge 5 years ago ish, en route from Norwich to a booked mooring at the Ferry House. They had half built the decking area if that helps date it?

As it our habit, we found a table outside sat down whilst Mandy decided which beverage she fancied (this sometimes takes a while) after about 90 secs a guy approached us asking asked if we were going to buy a drink and told us we couldn't take the dog inside, it was a hot day we were both in 'casual' T shirts, shorts and flip flops!

I replied, yes we will and you can see we are outside, I went inside to get a Pimms and a beer, and waited while the same guy discussed something with a member of his staff!

It was only when I commented, that the dog was still outside and we would like a drink or two he came over and served me in a manner that didn't make me feel welcome!

20mins later we were off to The Ferry House which we have used numerous times and is imo the best pub on the broads and the complete opposite to our one and only experience at the Waters Edge

Been passed it numerous times since and never felt any inclination to stop, so he missed out on someone who spends fortunes in pubs on the broads when on holiday!  :default_beerchug:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tim said:

Been passed it numerous times since and never felt any inclination to stop, so he missed out on someone who spends fortunes in pubs on the broads when on holiday!

We have had a similar experience and didnt feel at all welcome, so we have never been back since, albeit we do stop at the common regularly, and we have walked our dogs past umpteen times since as there is a great circular loop for dogs, whilst others have reported a wonderful time their so maybe it was just an off day for us

My father was in the licenced trade and would always say, it can take years to build a good reputation and with it the clientele, but it can take minutes to loose it

They lost it for me on that day and I do feel slightly guilty I never gave them a second chance. 

Maybe I will next time down, as everybody deserves one.