Locks Geldeston

NorfolkNog

Went to the Waters Edge last week for a meal and whilst I understand the owner can be a marmite thing to many being forearmed we gave as good as we got with the banter from Lee and had a great evening. The food was excellent and the serving staff were nice even joining in with the banter at times so yes I would go back again once the wallet has been refreshed.

47 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

According to my colleagues in Norwich CAMRA a small property company owns the Locks so it looks as if Grain were just leasing. No more info than that. I'll keep digging. 

That tallies with something that I had heard when it was announced that Grain was taking on the Locks. I can see Grain handing back the keys and walking away and I wouldn't blame them. 

Sterilizing the Locks was not very bright:default_sad:.

• Like 1

Did Colin leave or was he pushed? perhaps the owners should ask Colin back to run it as before,  all though this covid won't help but leaving it empty!!! could be well worth it to the owners to get Colin back at  reduced terms so he can keep his head above water and the locks will have a resident keeper, then review the situation when things get back to normal or near normal. John

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

If my informant is right then Collin had simply had enough. Whether that was of the pub itself or the actual owner you'll have to guess.

40 minutes ago, Paul said:

My info at the time was that a third party expressed an interest and Colin was "eased out". It's heresay but from someone usually well informed on things in the area. 

Morph those two comments into one and maybe we are getting somewhere near to the truth.

• Like 2

I've said many times,it's concerns  me that many pubs on the southern  broads,have gone on changed hands.Not always for the better.Berney Arms,Beauchamp Arms.The Ship and Lord Nelson.The New Inn at Rockland had problems in the summer.As I understand it there card machine was not working. I believe The Yare at Brundall is up for sale.Thats been our local for twenty years,a pub full of character. Will that remain if its sold?The Waters edge and the Locks,which seemed to have lost some of its character too.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, marshman said:

The Locks long lost its appeal - that was primarily when Susan was the licensee!!!! Or does that just show my age??

If you predate Susan then you must surely be of some considerable vintage!

I was more keen on the Wherry but nevertheless I did frequent the Locks. Susan was a component of the legend that is the Locks. Some might argue that the privy beside the pub, hidden behind a bank of nettles and open to the sky, was as important to the legend as Susan herself. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I've said many times, it's concerns  me that many pubs on the southern  broads have gone . . . . . . . . 

Meanwhile, down at Oulton Broad, the Bitch in the Ditch, alias the Lady of the Lake, is back up and running and very nice it is too. The Village now has the Flying Dutchman, The Waveney, The Lady of the Lake, Broadside, The Wherry, The Commodore, The Old Frank and The Blue Boar. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NorfolkNog said:

Not familiar with those 2 JM??? - there was one called the Wolf Inn, maybe renamed???

Silly me, I forgot the Wolf Inn, only been in there once.

Two pubs that you don't know, amazing! From Oulton Broad South railway station head off towards Gt Yarmouth. The Blue Boar is not really a drinking pub but the food is excellent. The Old Frank is very popular locally and that is a drinking pub. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Meanwhile, down at Oulton Broad, the Bitch in the Ditch, alias the Lady of the Lake, is back up and running and very nice it is too. The Village now has the Flying Dutchman, The Waveney, The Lady of the Lake, Broadside, The Wherry, The Commodore, The Old Frank and The Blue Boar. 

I'm packing up the car ready to head for a pub crawl tomorrow :default_beerchug:.

My now 4 pints a pub due to earlier closing makes that...one very happy JF :default_drinks:

Used to like the Waveney,before it turned into a sports bar.Looking at the menu not for me.went in the lady of the lake last summer.Didnt have food there just a drink.Last time went  in the Commodore again not for me.Not tried the other pubs.We are hoping  to get to Oulton  in a few weeks time.What pub or pubs would you recommend Peter?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Two pubs that you don't know, amazing! From Oulton Broad South railway station head off towards Gt Yarmouth. The Blue Boar is not really a drinking pub but the food is excellent. The Old Frank is very popular locally and that is a drinking pub. 

Ah, thanks JM with it now. Think you mean North station? There used to be a pub just over the road - not for the faint hearted. The Blue Boar looks a fair walk but the Old Frank could be do-able - I'll have a look next time I'm down - if they're still open of course :default_crying1animated:

There is a pub nearby called the Norman Warrior which I think is technically in Lowestoft - was always in the Good Beer Guide at one time.  

• Like 1