Locks Geldeston

NorfolkNog

Guest Jayfire
6 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Could be a welcome boost to the campaign.

Sorry for the slight deviation Mr Nog Sir, I know it's so unlike me :default_biggrin:

Erm...Brian Eno??? Roxy Music??? Would I have to be like... old and 50... to know what all this is? :default_smiley-angelic002:

Guest Jayfire
10 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Brian Eno was born in Suffolk so JM should approve :default_biggrin:

Listen to Virginia Plain Mr Fire sir

Listen to whaaaa?????? :default_biggrin:

I have no idea what you're asking me to do Mr Nog, but I know an oldie that will, or at least I hope she will :default_norty:

Guest Jayfire
22 minutes ago, KatieR said:

Ooooh me thinks this is code.....you’d like to go handbag shopping, wouldn’t you? :default_smiley-angelic002:

With you? Of course I would, although you know what I prefer to do :default_beerchug:

And no Mary Poppins bags, Chlorey Paperthwick right? I know what you like :default_norty:

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Mixed feelings on that one, I'd rather hoped that an acceptable, private buyer would have come along.

Tend to agree although suppose better than some wild idea about using it for holiday lets or flats etc although probably wouldn't get planning. Hope it works, problem can be too many cooks etc 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Mixed feelings on that one, I'd rather hoped that an acceptable, private buyer would have come along.

I have to agree, and I know that there were interested parties with the financial backing in place, but the proverbial rug seems to have been snatched from under their feet. I wish the community group all the best, it has worked in many places before I'm just worried that they still seem to be seeking investment. I assume someone is underwriting the offer they have made. 

• Like 1

The offer was made yesterday and the auction hammer effectively came down yesterday. It was withdrawn from todays auction. They paid £405,000 £10,000 over the guide price for the auction. It's been on the news with an interview with Graham Elliot who is the chairman of the group.

• Thanks 2

The trouble with some ,but not all, community buy outs, is they can have too many bosses which results in a lack of sense of direction due to conflicting opinions.

if it is indeed true that a community buy out has been agreed (still awaiting official notification) then I hope they install an experienced manager and allow them the freedom to develop what could be a very successful venture retaining the uniqueness of The Locks.

If the buy out decides to head down the gastropub route with just a handful of wealthy investors under the guise of “a community” as has happened to a few in my area then the chance to maintain and develop thus marvellous asset will be lost

Community buy outs are not always what they seen 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

if it is indeed true that a community buy out has been agreed (still awaiting official notification) 

Contracts have already been exchanged with completion in two weeks time.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-10-21/community-buys-famous-locks-pub-on-eve-of-auction

From what I heard on the radio more a music type venue than gastro pub, which would figure with some of the backing it has received.

Hopefully more of the same when Colin was landlord.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Meantime said:

The offer was made yesterday and the auction hammer effectively came down yesterday. It was withdrawn from todays auction. They paid £405,000 £10,000 over the guide price for the auction. It's been on the news with an interview with Graham Elliot who is the chairman of the group.

Still no official notification from the auctioneers , simply an email stating currently withdrawn from auction.

The auction guide price was £375,000 - £395,000 plus stock at valuation , the agreed price of £405,000 in the current climate seems a good result for the vendors but not higher than myself for one was considering a realistic investment .

I’m sure I wasn’t the only interested party actively awaiting the auction and registered for online bidding 

Graham Elliot who represents Beccles and Worlingham on the East Suffolk Council must have pretty big whotists to give an interview on BBC Radio Norfolk saying they had bought it, if that wasn't the case. There is also a short interview with him on the ITV link I posted above. 

4 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Contracts have already been exchanged with completion in two weeks time.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-10-21/community-buys-famous-locks-pub-on-eve-of-auction

From what I heard on the radio more a music type venue than gastro pub, which would figure with some of the backing it has received.

Hopefully more of the same when Colin was landlord.

You posted whilst I was composing my last posting .

With this information now to hand although saddened to a degree that an opportunity for myself may have been lost, I am heartened that it appears a genuine community buy out with the right views to the future of The Locks has Happened and I look forward to visiting when reopened .

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I’m sure I wasn’t the only interested party actively awaiting the auction and registered for online bidding 

Confirmed, I had anticipated it going well over the guide price, so £405k seems a steal, but if the current owners have made a concession to the community then good for them, however the community group needs to back that up. 

• Like 2