Christmas And Covid

Poppy

15 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

We have no option but to toe the line, at least for this Christmas. How I wish it could be otherwise, especially for those for whom it is likely to be their last Christmas on this earth. I saw my first great grandchild today, a placid, good natured, lovable little man. I doubt that I will be able to see him over Christmas. His father is an IT technician in a local school. quite likely that he'll be in lockdown by Christmas. We shall just have to wait & see. The mum of two of my other grandchildren is an administering pharmacist on the Covid ward of a local hospital, she too could be in lockdown by Christmas. My wife and I are both vulnerable so won't be taking any risks. Hey Ho, that is how it is, thankfully we still have each other. We consider ourselves lucky. How folk on their own will cope I dread to think. 

Posts like these should remind us all of the secondary benefit of this forum. The ability to communicate with others in a way that wasn't possible 20 years ago, to share and support, to encourage.

The acrimonious nature of a few recent  posts should not be allowed to detract from what is the friendliest Broads forum or social media platform around.

People are lonely, fearful and facing changes in their lives that none of us expected at the begining of the year.

I have a request for ALL members,

When you are expending effort to define and dissect every shade of grey, from black to white, just pause, count to ten, and wonder if your time could be used to support someone rather than trying to score points off each other.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3

Thank you, Jean. He was actually nine months old yesterday and happy to be picked up and cuddled. With the limit of six likely being in place for Christmas, plus the likelihood of lockdown being re-imposed or self isolation having to kick in I'm resigned to the inevitable, that being a low key Christmas without our customary family gatherings.  

• Like 2

I think you will be right JM. We are only a small family but will have to watch for any rules around numbers of households that can mix. But maybe a low key Christmas will allow people to focus on the real meaning rather than the party season. However even that will be hard for many if families can’t visit each other or are forced to make choices about who to spend their time with.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I saw my first great grandchild today

Congrats from me too JM Sir

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

I think you will be right JM. We are only a small family but will have to watch for any rules around numbers of households that can mix. 

We are also a small family nowadays too, so much so that the 6 person rule won't mean any restriction for us anymore. Infact I am surrounded by more people if I have Christmas on station rather than with all my family.

Still, despite my nonsensical ramblings on the forum suggesting otherwise, we are all able to have a little remeberance together on Christmas Day of who have left us and what a special family time the festive season has always been for us. 

I guess it will be even more so this year for all of those people who will be alone, or unable to see all of their family at such a special time of the year.

:default_xmas2:

57 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

I guess it will be even more so this year for all of those people who will be alone, or unable to see all of their family at such a special time of the year.

Every Christmas we cater for as many divergent family members as care to return to the fold so to speak and nowadays that generally entails two sittings so to speak, Christmas and Boxing Day. In the past we have had twenty plus sat down to lunch. It was the same in my parent's day as various members of the family returned to the roost so to speak in order to celebrate. As Lynn & I put away all the baubles on the Twelfth Day we have both said, in recent years, wouldn't it be nice if there were just the two of us? Now the prospect of it being forced upon us is not so rosy! Imagine, being able to sit down and enjoy a bottle of wine whilst watching an evergreen, festive film in its entirety, that will be a new experience! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, Katiew said:

I’ve never felt so disappointed- our Mr Christmas is allergic to mistletoe? You’re not really him are you??? :facepalm:

Now you're just being silly and lashing out :facepalm:

Of course I'm not really allergic to mistletoe, and whilst I never allow pics of myself to be put up publicly under normal circumstances, I'm making an exception with this selfie just to prove you wrong....

Mr_Christmas_7a.PNG.png.cc9f83094259f62734d34b3685eee215.png

Aw that’s kind, thanks :default_icon_kiss:

He knows he’s lucky, I make sure I tell him every day! 

I wouldn't say every day:default_biggrin:

46 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Every Christmas we cater for as many divergent family members as care to return to the fold so to speak and nowadays that generally entails two sittings so to speak, Christmas and Boxing Day. In the past we have had twenty plus sat down to lunch. It was the same in my parent's day as various members of the family returned to the roost so to speak in order to celebrate. As Lynn & I put away all the baubles on the Twelfth Day we have both said, in recent years, wouldn't it be nice if there were just the two of us? Now the prospect of it being forced upon us is not so rosy! Imagine, being able to sit down and enjoy a bottle of wine whilst watching an evergreen, festive film in its entirety, that will be a new experience! 

However your festive period works out this year JM, I hope it is enjoyable for you and your family, even if maybe not quite how you would have chosen to spend it had things been different, and with many more to come in the future spent surrounded by all of the family and friends that you could wish for :default_xmas2:

Interesting report on TV this morning. In China the area that makes most Christmas "tat" and decorations, report orders down 30%.

I think this is going to mean a shortage come the time, as parents will throw money at it, to make Christmas "special" for the semi locked down kids..

39 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I think this is going to mean a shortage come the time, as parents will throw money at it, to make Christmas "special" for the semi locked down kids..

Most of us have the decorations that we had last year, the year before and even the year before. Do we need more?

Our houses are already full to overflowing with tat. Do we need more?

I'm sure that there will be people who will rush off to B&M and QD with empty trollies to fill but equally there has to be a limit as to what we can cram into our already bursting at the seams houses. We've spent lockdown de-junking our homes, why reverse the process?

On balance I think that manufacturers and importers are wise to cut back.  

19 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Most of us have the decorations that we had last year, the year before and even the year before. Do we need more?

Our houses are already full to overflowing with tat. Do we need more?

I'm sure that there will be people who will rush off to B&M and QD with empty trollies to fill but equally there has to be a limit as to what we can cram into our already bursting at the seams houses. We've spent lockdown de-junking our homes, why reverse the process?

On balance I think that manufacturers and importers are wise to cut back.  

Hello Peter my guess is like us you have more baubles than their is space on the tree or trees. 

• Like 1