Breydon Water Currently Closed To Hire Craft Due To Weather Conditions

Good morning all,

Breydon Water is currently closed to hire craft due to adverse weather conditions.

Please note that winds in excess of 50mph are forecast across the Broads, so please be aware of this whilst making plans to travel today.

Kind regards,

Tom

Tom Waterfall

Senior Communications Officer

Broads Authority

01603 756034

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY
01603 610734

8 minutes ago, vanessan said:

We crossed south to north on Monday and there were many northern based boats crossing to the south. With a midday slack water today, I think probably quite a few would have planned to return across today. Unless they paid attention to the weather warnings of course. 

No doubt the boatyards will have contingencies in place for this and even the best can be caught out by the UK weather

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Wonder how many hire craft will not be back at their home base tomorrow as a result.  Not saying that closing it is wrong, but how many hirers have not taken the potential for closure into consideration when planning their trip.

The yards must come across this all the time. I know we have cocked up before when we hired from Barnes and decided to moor the "wrong" side of the bridge for our last evening rather than in the yard.

Of course come 8am when we set off to take the boat back the bridge gauge said no!

Rang the yard up and they sent a lad down on his bike to have a look if we could in fact get back. He drove the boat (Joy) up to the bridge and then disappeared out of the front door. It was very close. So close that the lad and the OH walked it through rather than driving it.

I’m just glad we followed Malcolm’s example and came back south yesterday, not that we needed to as we are on Moonlight Shadow next week too. It is lovely to be sitting on our mooring today without having to worry about leaving one sheltered 24 mooring to find another.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

without having to worry about leaving one sheltered 24 mooring to find another.

I would have thought that the BA would take a sympathetic view to boats remaining on moorings in this weather rather than perhaps endangering themselves, and maybe others, by moving on. I would hope so anyway.

6 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Although it would appear that a large part of the mooring at The Berney Arms is still closed, according to the manager on Facebook.

That will be the old pub moorings probably. The owner taped them off when he was refused planning permission. There is still a good expanse of BA 24 hour mooring there though and the Burgh Castle moorings too.

11 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I would have thought that the BA would take a sympathetic view to boats remaining on moorings in this weather rather than perhaps endangering themselves, and maybe others, by moving on. I would hope so anyway.

This is correct, our Rangers are understanding and won't be moving people on who are being sensible and remaining moored at our 24-hour moorings in the essence of safety :-)

Rangers who are on launches today have reported it is very rough out there.

Tom

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We are! It’s just that we have a good view of the river from our mooring. A surprising number of hirers still out on the river, probably looking in vain for a nice sheltered mooring. Hardly seem any private boats (not surprising), but did see a ranger go by earlier. Quite a few of Brooms own boats have been turning up over the course of the day.
Wind and rain are unrelenting. It reminds me of the weather we get in Anglesey.

6 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I’m just glad we followed Malcolm’s example and came back south yesterday, not that we needed to as we are on Moonlight Shadow next week too. It is lovely to be sitting on our mooring today without having to worry about leaving one sheltered 24 mooring to find another.

We too had planned a Friday return to the South but once we saw the forecast we moored up at Fleet Dyke on Wednesday afternoon and crossed Breydon on the Thursday midday tide and moored up at Pyes Mill before taking the boat back into Brooms on the Friday, I was told they’d had 3 other hirers return a day early as well, on the way up to to Brundall we saw several Northern based boats in what looked like a run down to Breydon, just a comment re’ newbies, whilst at Pyes Mill we spotted but only just as it was 19.00 and dark by then a rather large Richardsons bath tub trying in vain to find a mooring for the night, where he ended up I’ve no idea as Pyes Mill was chock a block. Oh and to end a week of numerous closes calls and one incident of being rammed whilst moored we obviously had to finish our holiday with a bang, so whilst on the fuel dock today at Brooms one of their hire boats still on hire got out of control narrowly missing us but crashing into the key heading, with regret I’ve made the decision that I won’t be returning to the Broads again, there are too many people on them with very little if any knowledge of what they are doing and who are in some circumstances positively dangerous.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

Bluesman, I am truly sorry that you well deserved holiday ended on such a low and I can appreciate your decision. I don't think that you will be alone in that. As I understand it the Broads has seen a huge number of first-time boaters this year, indeed there is talk of a 50% increase over recent years. Add to that the appalling weather of the moment, plus the shortening days and the Covid restrictions then it's no wonder that some folk have cut short their holidays, probably never to return. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluesman54 said:

I’ve made the decision that I won’t be returning to the Broads again, there are too many people on them with very little if any knowledge of what they are doing and who are in some circumstances positively dangerous.

It was ever thus I'm afraid but the same is true of our roads. I won't ever let a minority of muppets put me off the place I live for any more than I'd ever be put off using roads to travel. 

• Like 2