Breydon Water Currently Closed To Hire Craft Due To Weather Conditions

Just now, vanessan said:

Not today!!

No, that was Monday the 14th. Set the alarm and hauled up the mud weight before heading to Wroxham to head through the bridge before things got too busy there. Headed up to Belaugh and must have passed about 10 Kingfisher's. Moored at the church mooring at Belaugh before a gentle stroll across the fields to Wroxham Barns on what turned out to be a scorching day. A pint of cider from the cider barn and then back to the boat to move to the Hotel Mead mooring for the evening. A very nice meal in the hotel followed by bed. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

No, that was Monday the 14th. Set the alarm and hauled up the mud weight before heading to Wroxham to head through the bridge before things got too busy there. Headed up to Belaugh and must have passed about 10 Kingfisher's. Moored at the church mooring at Belaugh before a gentle stroll across the fields to Wroxham Barns on what turned out to be a scorching day. A pint of cider from the cider barn and then back to the boat to move to the Hotel Mead mooring for the evening. A very nice meal in the hotel followed by bed. 

Sounds great. We have been on board for 26 days and, boy, have we seen some lovely sunrises and sunsets. Also some rather changeable weather..........!! Shorts on Tuesday, jumpers and wellies etc yesterday. That’s the Broads for you. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, marshman said:

Bet Coltishall is quiet with headroom at Wroxham somewhat limited to say the least!!!

Sadly I'm at home now, but I normally use the EA river gauge on the river Bure to give me an idea of clearance before heading into Wroxham.

I have a couple of notes made of readings and then the actual clearance at Wroxham bridge.

.38 is 6ft 9ins

.33 is 7ft

Today's reading is .68 

I'd love to know the actual clearance under the bridge at that reading, but would guess it is a lot less than 6ft.

14 hours ago, Bluesman54 said:

I won’t be returning to the Broads again, there are too many people on them with very little if any knowledge of what they are doing and who are in some circumstances positively dangerous

That would be shame. The yards have noted that this year has been a lot worse than normal, probably due to the staycation situation. I tend to concentrate on December and February. The weather is usually suprisingly good in December and the rivers are virtually empty. Bit colder in February and a few boats out but still very quiet. 

• Like 2

We have been on the Broads 3 times this year and are due back in November

The vast majority of people I have come across have been superb and even the novices I have encountered, they have listened to advice and been thankful when I have offered guidance

Also I have been coming here since I was a child and sadly I have always known isolated incidents

I have been driving cars since I was 17 and have always known incidents on the roads also and I could go on about construction sites, crossing roads etc, etc, etc

So some perspective needs to be had

• Like 5

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

We have been on board for 26 days

Wow! That must be amazing. I’m not sure whether I could go out for quite that long. But then if it’s your own boat you will have made it really comfortable and to suit your needs. 

I have been out with my boat yesterday and today, ok it was the new to me 2.75m rib on a trailer and it only went to work and back, best bit is I don't have a towbar (yet), it's only 2 streets along the road so we just pushed it, we didn't encounter any choppy water just a couple of dropped kurbs, got some funny looks mind you.

It seems the easiest way to convert a flatbed trailer into a rib trailer is to use the foam packing machine at my guvnors expense...... The perfect support solution and self centering too, just needs the edges trimming and tidying. :default_biggrin:

We use this stuff under light aircraft engines getting sent all over the world so the surface loading under a hull should be virtually zero in comparison.

rib.thumb.jpg.89cb30c9132cb0cc5b99f61acbc027d7.jpg.

8 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

It’s the mooring situation that does me in. The lack of that sends people, at speed, trying to find a spot unless you moor at midday. 
old, old discussions 

It's true lots of people do that but only those who are obsessed with getting a pub spot. I had a week on the north last month and typically moored between 4 and 5pm. I still enjoyed a pub visit on four nights out of seven.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Sadly I'm at home now, but I normally use the EA river gauge on the river Bure to give me an idea of clearance before heading into Wroxham.

I have a couple of notes made of readings and then the actual clearance at Wroxham bridge.

.38 is 6ft 9ins

.33 is 7ft

Today's reading is .68 

I'd love to know the actual clearance under the bridge at that reading, but would guess it is a lot less than 6ft.

Sounds interesting but I don't remember hearing of this. What and where is this gauge?

1 minute ago, Broads01 said:

Sounds interesting but I don't remember hearing of this. What and where is this gauge?

The gauge is actually located at Hoveton Broad on the river Bure, but gives a close enough rough gauge to the height at Wroxham bridge. The chart is normally updated once a day with the frequency increasing as the risk of flood increases.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6211?direction=u

I also use the following one for Potter and know that anything lower than 0.27 means greater clearance than 6ft9in which is the magic figure for my boat and Potter bridge.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6217?direction=u

• Thanks 2

Brilliant info, thanks for sharing. Looks like levels on the Thurne blipped low on Monday but not quite low enough for your boat. I have two hires next year that will also need about 6 ft 9 so these links will be very useful, if only to prove my Potter lottery ticket is nowhere near coming up.

8 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Brilliant info, thanks for sharing. Looks like levels on the Thurne blipped low on Monday but not quite low enough for your boat. I have two hires next year that will also need about 6 ft 9 so these links will be very useful, if only to prove my Potter lottery ticket is nowhere near coming up.

Never say never. I got through once last year and could possibly have made it this year if I'd started my holiday a few days earlier. It was rising again by the 12th September when I came up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

Wow! That must be amazing. I’m not sure whether I could go out for quite that long. But then if it’s your own boat you will have made it really comfortable and to suit your needs. 

Indeed we have, it’s nothing to write home about but we do have all the comforts of home aboard. It’s become a way of life for us since we bought the boat 11years ago. We usually manage around 18-20 weeks each year but this year of course nowhere near that ☹️. I love waking up somewhere different each morning and the dogs enjoy different walks each day. Not for everyone but we do see a number of people quite regularly who clearly do something similar to ourselves. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Walked down to the river at Hoveton earlier. A lot of debris and bits of trees lying everywhere. The path towards the side on moorings was taped off as it was flooded. And this is the park area just past the stern on moorings. 

5F6E5098-E1ED-4908-BC19-D79A7948F50C.jpeg

Ooer, I don’t think the water has been quite so high for a while. Consistently so as well. 

• Like 1