Water Levels

vanessan

I see it also overtopped badly at Great Yarmouth this morning. 

13 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

We often get very high/low water at Brundall. On holiday the start  of the month the tide didn't  drop for about three days.

It’s not unusual to see pictures of an underwater Brundall, in fact it’s almost becoming the norm!

18 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

It did earlier on this year.

Fred

Is this a sign of things to come I wonder. 
We were pontoon moored in Oulton Dyke last week when the water overtopped the main moorings at high water. Bearing in mind the quay heading there has fairly recently been refurbished to allow for higher tides, seems it wasn’t sufficient.   

Still very high water levels at Wroxham. Earlier this evening we went for a walk down near the stern on moorings at Hoveton. Sat down for a few minutes and could hear a strange noise of something being dragged along. Several men appeared pulling large blue drums and headed for an old Richardson's bathtub. I can only presume that it was due back at the yard tomorrow perhaps .... whatever the reason they needed to get back through Wroxham Bridge.

It was interesting to watch as probably eight of these large blue drums were loaded onto the boat, a few at the front, a few at the back. Then they fetched a hose and a generator and proceeded to pump water out of the river into the drums having swung the boat round to be side on.

And then, all on board, away they went. Slowly, carefully, they turned the boat round ... and proceeded to get it back under the Bridge with a little cheer going up as they made it.

Very interesting to see how it was done. :)

• Like 8

Wow, that was interesting Jean.

On the Yare, the opposite seems to be the case. We went to Norwich and back today. On the way the river levels looked as high as they have done the past three days. We just about got through Trowse bridge late morning. When we returned mid afternoon we had about 9 1/2’. Loads of room, and by the time we got to Brundall water levels looked about normal.

• Like 2

I couldn't quite read the bridge height marker at Wroxham from the other side of the river but it must have been around 5'9, maybe a little closer to 6'. The grassy area where the Liana launch goes from was more flooded today than when I was down there at the weekend. Part of the boardwalk was still taped off and underwater. And I am reliably informed that the water was still across NBD's car park and now right across the road just before the bridge.

That's very kind of you, MM, to ask.  We're absolutely fine here above that bridge.  Yes, river levels are high, but they've been higher.  Yes, our Thurne riverside bungalow plot does flood (every year now) - maybe an inch or two of water over the lawns, but the bungalow itself will never flood as a result of the river because I have lifted the bungalow so that it is now more than a foot (300) above the highest possible fluvial flood level. 

Ironically, at these recent levels, the river water overtops the flood defences in several places, runs down to the soke dykes from whence the various Internal Drainage Board's pumps work flat out returning it to the river!  Truth is often stranger than fiction.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ex Pilot would you kindly tell me how the height under the bridge is looking today ? I am hiring Juliette 2 from Monday for a few days. I saw a Silver Jubilee moored t'other side of the bridge the other day on the HW webcam and it very much looked as if it would't get back through. As you will be aware, Juliette needs 5ft 11 ins.

Many thanks

Charles

I, very optimistically, went through Wayford Bridge yesterday to make my annual pilgrimage to Dilham. It showed 6’3” and a bit on the marker board and I went through with maybe an inch to spare! Today, the marker board shows 6’ and a bit, so I think I’m 3 inches short. But when I got up close it looked doable and decided to walk Chiltern Lady through. Phew!

Charles, I am currently quarantined, but at a guess, looking out of the window at the moment, I'm guessing the height gauge at Potter Bridge will be reading somewhere between 5' 0" and 5' 4".

If you need a real-time reading, it would best to ring the pilots on 01692 670460

Hope this helps

So we thought that we would come to the caravan this morning at Lowestoft. Really nice drive over but oh my goodness! On approach we could see that the sea level looked very high. The wind is blowing a gale. Our van is less than 50 ft from the sea wall, covered in spray and the road to the back of us is starting to flood and that’s before any rain arrives! 

Got the fire on and have warmed up with hot buttered toast and coffee but ... we have struggled to get the boiler alight as the wind kept blowing it out. Haven’t unpacked and haven’t decided whether we will stay here or head for home! 😂

• Sad 1