Ludham Bridge

Mick64

It was reported on Saturday at 7’6”.  The tides have remained high over the weekend and I would be surprised if they’ve dropped much yet.  It will take a few days for normal levels to be restored.  I suggest you ring George at Ludham Bridge Boatyard, when they open, who is very helpful.  

• Like 1

Levels for Barton Broad and Ranworth Broad can be found here - but the Ranworth data look faulty at the moment.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6216

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6215

Not an exact science, but I recon 0.5m = approx 8'6" at Ludham, so it ties in with Mouldy's reported 7'6"

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

It was reported on Saturday at 7’6”.  The tides have remained high over the weekend and I would be surprised if they’ve dropped much yet.  It will take a few days for normal levels to be restored.  I suggest you ring George at Ludham Bridge Boatyard, when they open, who is very helpful.  

George has been posting some videos and photos on Social Media showing the extent of flooding at Ludham Bridge

Still only 7ft 6" Really?  That's awkward as we commence the Lads Week this Friday afternoon and we have to get 'B.A' round to Potter Heigham.  At 7ft 6" it means we'll have to lower the canopy / screen to get under Ludham Bridge and you know what that means?  - Yes it'll be raining when we get there :default_badday:

Griff

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

It would be a useful addition to the forum if we had a sticky bridge height thread where members could post bridge heights on the day when afloat 

I was thinking this the other day. I think that's a good idea (although I think there are people you can call, like Pilots, at the tricky ones).

30 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

What may help is, if theres a reliable marker at the bridge.Often the marker doesn't show the true  height of the bridge. 

But a tape measure does, you can moor up and walk under that bridge on both sides, been there and done that one then promptly got under 6" over what the gauge said, just remember to duck...... :default_cool:

it might be an idea to measure the clearances from the concrete cills either side from the top, with a known measure for those, if the water was up to those you would know the clearance, and if it was say 3" below those you could calculate the distance by adding 3", if the water had overtopped the cills, you would know it was less than the fixed distance, all we need now is a volunteer locally to measure them, one measurement at each corner would give you the low point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 750XL said:

It does surprise me that in this day any age there aren’t any digital water level monitors installed on the river, with bridge clearance heights/water levels displayed online.

There are - The Environment Agency ones - Problem is they only normally post the readings on a daily basis (7.30 on BST 6.30 on GMT)- twice a day in times of possible flood There is one at Repps for Potter one just 100m from Reedham Swing Bridge, also Beccles Quay some of the others are not too near the bridges  with some joined up thinking not beyond the realms of possibility to either have greater access to the info & access to some which are not published. The system is basically almost 20 years old so no doubt due for an upgrade? (It is or certainly did transmits on mobile phone technology)

The gauges once you work out the evaluations for a given nearby landmark can certainty give an idea of trends as they cover the past 5 days 

Eg water overtops the quay at Reedham at 1.6m 

12 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Be good if you could post the bridge height up please Griff , may be afloat myself over the weekend 

it would be a useful addition to the forum if we had a sticky bridge height thread where members could post bridge heights on the day when afloat 

I like this idea

Wroxham at 13.00 today was at 6`

I tried to upload my picture but it was upside down for some reason. Inverted the picture, saved it, uploaded and STILL upside down. Stupid technology.