Hit And Run..

They guy in the helm is an absolute .........  rhymes with banker.      He should be never allowed to have a boat out again.    If this had been a very windy day and he had accidentally tapped the boat in front and then apologised it would be a different scenario but looking at him grinning from ear to ear says it all.   

Tos or not in fact add the letters ser on the end that sums it up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Hylander said:

They guy in the helm is an absolute .........  rhymes with banker.      He should be never allowed to have a boat out again.    If this had been a very windy day and he had accidentally tapped the boat in front and then apologised it would be a different scenario but looking at him grinning from ear to ear says it all.   

Tos or not in fact add the letters ser on the end that sums it up.

Someone's been watching too much Doc Martin :default_rofl:

• Like 1

I might be mistaken, but if you watch the full video it looks like he goes under some time later. I wonder if he DID stop. I wonder if he DID own up. We shall never know... so let the trial by internet continue without the facts.

He tried to do a turn in high wind. He hit a boat several times. That's all we know, hence the ToS trying to protect people from wild accusations based on insufficient information.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I guess we don't know all the facts, but we do at least know that Richardsons are now aware of the video. At this point whether he stopped, carried on, phoned it in is all speculation and too be honest not our business, but at least it can now be dealt with by Richardsons, which cannot be a bad thing.

• Like 1

Hi all I've not seen the Video incident but I can see Griff is livid like any private or Hired Boat would feel as to theses  Hired  Boats need to brought to book I'm sorry to say. One other thing comes to.mind are theses People Newbe due to this Coronsvirus stopping them from going abroad? And want  to get away from it all?

• Confused 1

Just two things I would like to add to this discussion. They may or may not be factors, and for anyone who wasn't in Norfolk over the weekend, the weather was truly atrocious!

I frequent a number of Facebook groups and through posts on social media it does seem that we do have a high number of people booking boating holidays who might not have done so as their first choice in other years. Boats have been in high demand and so it may be that a novice helm, possibly with only one other crew member, may end up on an older larger boat that ordinarily would not suit them at all. But it was all that was left so they took it.

Secondly I do like to take photos and videos myself when out and about around the Broads. The opportunity hasn't really presented itself to do so this year for a number of reasons but ... I would never include a video of someone in a difficult situation or struggling in some way. And if I did happen to catch that it would never be made public for the amusement of others. That's my self-imposed rules and if only all YouTubers acted in this way then we wouldn't have this problem. It's not nice to made fun of. If a situation warranted it then I would report it appropriately.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I might be mistaken, but if you watch the full video it looks like he goes under some time later. I wonder if he DID stop. I wonder if he DID own up. We shall never know... so let the trial by internet continue without the facts.

He tried to do a turn in high wind. He hit a boat several times. That's all we know, hence the ToS trying to protect people from wild accusations based on insufficient information.

Well M M  ,   I have watched the video on Youtube and after the white boat leaves the scene that is the end of the video, may be you are viewing an entirely different version.  

There is a longer 9 minute version of the day available.  What I found rather disappointing was that the person who appears to have driven there, spends the day filming peoples' mishaps or waiting for a mishap!  I think some of the footage is zoomed in so it makes it look even worse than it was that day!

6 minutes ago, w-album said:

There is a longer 9 minute version of the day available.  What I found rather disappointing was that the person who appears to have driven there, spends the day filming peoples' mishaps or waiting for a mishap!  I think some of the footage is zoomed in so it makes it look even worse than it was that day!

It is any coincidence that the popular spectator points for the three rivers races are Ludham, Potter and Acle Bridge as well as the start and finish line. No one wants to see anyone hurt, or boats damaged, but lets be honest quite a few seem to like it when it all gets a bit fraught.

We also don't, or at least I don't know, the individuals circumstances. They may not be fit enough to go walking or enjoy other physical activities. I am reminded of a person I once got chatting to at The Rising Sun mooring. An elderly gent who had driven there with his wife. His wife was in the car and he just wondered over for a chat. It turned out that his wife had dementia but really liked visiting that mooring and watching the boats and the river. Every day he would bring her there, but because of her condition she would deny ever having been there before. He wasn't able to have a proper conversation with her, he clearly loved her and bought her there most days but was incredibly lonely himself, hence walking over for a chat. I made a point of chatting to him when I saw him again, but haven't seen him for the last two or three years now. I don't don't know if his circumstances have changed or just bad timing on our visits.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, w-album said:

Having seen the longer video, just to confuse matters it does feature two different Ideal cruisers. One of which negotiates the bridge with no problem at all.

I also feel uneasy watching this persons videos at times. There being a number of occasions when a help or even a shout would have avoided some nasty situations. The only excuse I can think off is that they run the camera continues without actually being there at all times.

I do find the caliber of Broads YouTube vlogs (with notable exceptions ) to be far less professional than those produced about the canals. Relying far too much on the predicaments of boaters, the abuse of alcohol and the use of swear words.

Fred

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SwanR said:

I do like to take photos and videos myself when out and about around the Broads. The opportunity hasn't really presented itself to do so this year for a number of reasons but ... I would never include a video of someone in a difficult situation or struggling in some way. And if I did happen to catch that it would never be made public for the amusement of others. That's my self-imposed rules and if only all YouTubers acted in this way then we wouldn't have this problem. It's not nice to made fun of. If a situation warranted it then I would report it appropriately.

Said everything that needs to be said I think as always Jean my darling, still I'll ramble on some more anyway as I feel a rant coming on :default_biggrin:

As well as the fact someone chooses to just stand and record someone clearly having difficulty (and I've lost track of which one of all of the video's we are discussing) whether in difficult conditions or purely through mistakes or inexperience/lack of knowledge and then thinks it is worthy of posting onto the Internet for worldwide criticism and ridicule, the thing that really gets me annoyed is that despite being perfectly happy to point out their mistakes and what the person should be doing they don't actually share this information with the struggling crew or offer any assistance on the bankside, which goes against everything that I have always found from users of the Broads.

Whenever I see anyone coming in to moor, or leave a mooring I prepare myself to offer any assistance, should it be needed or requested and have had the same assistance offered to me. I like to take a few pics and video's too when I am out and about as you may know, and yet when I see someone having trouble, the first thing that crosses my mind isn't to grab my phone and press record so I can take the p**s, it is to try and help out, many a time I have called over to try and explain what controls to try, and I'm a blithering idiot.

So why is it that these people who are quite obviously experts in boat control and knowledge choose to do the opposite instead of sharing their experience in order to help somebody out who is more than likely getting themselves worked up into an absolute state, making everything even harder for themselves, and not knowing how to get out of the mess they have found themselves in.

I can assure you I have no intention of joining this type of expert in camera work and boat expertise, and I hope it isn't a changing attitude of visitors to the wonderful waterways. I think I'll choose to stay as the blithering idiot, enjoy my beer, pubs and river's and continue to offer assistance to those in distress or difficulty and keep my phone firmly wrapped up inside my pocket.

Rant over 

:default_xmas2:

I have to say there appears to be another video doing the rounds on social media of a boat scraping through Wroxham bridge at speed leaving a trail of brick dust in it's wake.

Probably not a lot of pint reporting it to the yard concerned, judging by the number of people on board, and blue barrels full of water!!!!! 

Doesn't set a good example for anyone though. I'm no health and safety expert, but I bet they would have a field day with that one!

I'm not going to post the link, but if you love the Norfolk Broads and read Facebook, you'll find it.

10 minutes ago, grendel said:

the one with the blue barrels would be the yard getting the boat through, thus they accepted the damage to get the boat under, they will have polished that out before the next hire.

I realised it was the yard taking it through, which is why I said not a lot of point reporting it, however if the helm had been an extra inch or so to one side I wonder where those unsecured blue barrels would have ended up, not to mention the staff on board etc. Not too mention the impact to a listed structure, even if it is already fairly battered and bruised. Looking at that video I call it a lucky escape more by luck than judgement.

I understand the need to get the boat through and back to base for the next set of hirers, but if it involves kissing the bridge, it either needs more ballast, or tough luck it has to wait. Which ever way you look at it, it doesn't look good.

Now I've had experience of being stuck the other side of that bridge and after 4 days it was wearing a bit thin. A BA ranger was very forgiving of us over staying on the mooring and we did make enquiries of leaving the boat in the marina opposite. With clearance improving to 6ft3in, I had only previously gone through at more than 6ft6in and decided that was my limit, we visited Roys DIY and purchased four carpet tiles. Back to the boat and with the roof fully down we then used duck tape and the carpet tiles to cover the four corners of the sliding roof which was the four high points. I then went and approached the bridge and edged up to it to the point where the roof was about 12in away from going under and then backed out. The person on the back who was eying up the clearance reckoned it would just about go under. So I approached again as slow as possible and this time crept under with about half an inch spare and got under without touching anything apart from the chains as we exited the other side.

• Like 1