What Am I Doing Wrong With Pasta

OldBerkshireBoy

23 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

The best thing is mix together, making sure you add some of the pasta water.In Italy the meat and pasta is always mixed together. Providing  the pasta is hot and the meat also.Your dish should remain hot.Dont over cook the pasta, always best when the pasta has a bit of bite.

Hi Ian, I used to do it that way boil up the pasta and then mix with the sauce and meat and often added grated cheese.

Sadly these days pasta and rice are a no no.

Regards

Alan

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

The best thing is mix together, making sure you add some of the pasta water.In Italy the meat and pasta is always mixed together. Providing  the pasta is hot and the meat also.Your dish should remain hot.Dont over cook the pasta, always best when the pasta has a bit of bite.

I`ve been mixing it together in the later stages so perhaps not for long enough (?). But haven`t added some of the pasta water before so I`ll try that next time Ian however I am wary of making the meal watery.

10 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

I`ve been mixing it together in the later stages so perhaps not for long enough (?). But haven`t added some of the pasta water before so I`ll try that next time Ian however I am wary of making the meal watery.

Providing  your sauce is not to wet,adding pasta water will not make it wet.Pasta water will contain starch. Finnish with a little drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and parmesan. 

• Thanks 1

Have wine two ways,

Fine dice one banana shallot, sweat in a little oil,without colour add about six sliced  chestnut  mushrooms cook with colour with black pepper  and sea salt add half bottle dry white wine,reduce with by half.Add about same amount  of double  cream reduce slightly. Thicken with a little cornflour. Saute some king prawns of strips of chicken. Add to sauce.Cook pasta of your choice. Combine sauce,fish or chicken together, adding a little pasta water.Add a little  butter and some chopped dill or parsley. Serve with salad and or crusty bread and of course the remaining  white wine!:default_xmas6: Ian

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Fine dice one banana shallot, sweat in a little oil,without colour add about six sliced  chestnut  mushrooms cook with colour

Your recipe sounds great Ian! But I'm a bit basic in the kitchen so what please is meant by cooking with or without colour?

Apologies if this is a daft question!

Onions basic ingredient in cooking. With my method for pasta.Cooking slowly without colour, will not darken the sauce  but still be soft and cooked.When you make a curry for example. I will use a large amount of onions.So for 1 kg of meat 500 g onions.Cook the onions steady without  burning but cook until nice and brown.In doing so will help to thicken sauce,adding lots of flavour too.In fact any brown dish such as casserole, spaghetti bolognese cook your onions till nice and brown.

Hope that help Ray.Give it a go

• Thanks 1