Hi All

PaulMargaret

I shouldn't plan too much, plans normally fly out the window once you are on your way, just go with the flow and wherever the mood takes you

One of the most important things in my opinion is don't panic or worry, if you need advise or help just ask, there will (in the main) be someone whether a seasoned hirer or a private helm only too glad to help

As Ian says, take it slow and have the best time x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

My Partner and I will be there a week today for 14 nights we are starting at stalham on stargem 2.would you recommend staying in the boat yard for the first night and planning a route or should we plan a 2week route before we get there also do you get a map?

Thanks all

Hi PaulMargaret 

As Ian says a lot depends on your experience of boating really. It is of course entirely up to you what you decide to do, however even in October you may well find that starting off from Richo's at Stalham (about the largest boatyard) then there will be a swarm of hirers all setting off at the same sort of time.

The earlier sunset time by which hirer's need to be moored up means lot's of hirer's all heading to nearby mooring spots and leaving very few spaces available, those that are may be tight too if you are inexperienced.

For this reason I would suggest staying at Stalham for your first evening and allow yourself time to get all set up on the boat, comfortable and familiar with its controls and quirks, and of course enjoying the village and it's facilities. There is a Tesco nearby too so you can get all your supplies in ready for setting off all refreshed the next day when the throng of boats should have eased off a little.

Having 2 weeks on the Broads means you can relax and take your holiday at the slow and relaxing pace the Broads are made for, so take your time, sit back, enjoy and relax. It's a perfect place to be, no need to rush off until you're all ready.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great time and watch off for the singing northern numpty. I may just be around at the same time :default_norty:

Staying in Richardsons' yard is not a bad idea for the first night, especially as you're there for 2 weeks. Come 4pm, there will be a large flush of boats leaving the yard, as all those on 4 and 7 nights will want to get away to make the most of their time on holiday. As a next day straggler, you may have advantages of more mooring options as you go along. Whether you plan a route or not is down to personal taste. I always do, and I think especially over 14 nights, where you can get to pretty much the whole of the Broads, including the  southern rivers, you will miss a lot if you don't. On some of those days, you can plan to just cruise in the morning, then stay somewhere for the rest of the day. Wroxham, Acle, Ranworth (if you're lucky with moorings) Reedham, Oulton Broad, Norwich and Potter Heigham are all places, in my opinion, that warrant an extra long layover, so you could incorporate some of these into your half day cruise plans. 

To reach some of the southern river points, you will need to pass through Yarmouth. Ordinarily, on a one week or shorter cruise, i would recommend staying north if you've not been before, as it can be tricky passing through Yarmouth. But as you are there for 2 weeks, spending all that time North will be very restricting. So the day before you plan to traverse (or stop at) Yarmouth, call the Yarmouth Yacht Station on 01493 842794 for instruction on the best time to arrive/pass through. You could plan to stay the night before at Acle or Stokesby (in the north) as the journey to Yarmouth is only a couple of hours away. Coming back, Reedham makes a good jumping off point, as again it's about 2 hours cruise from Yarmouth. 

As Ian and Jay have said, be aware that the nights are drawing in, so allow enough time to get to your chosen overnight stopover point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

a few pubs also.Have fun.

A few pubs you say Ian???? Really? I'll have to have a look out for those although I'm really not a big pub user myself :default_smiley-angelic002:

4 hours ago, PaulMargaret said:

I think picking boat up at 4.00pm

Hello Paul & Margaret,

With such a late pick up of the boat and darkness getting earlier by the day I would be inclined to stay at Richardson's overnight and set off in the morning that way you should be able to find a suitable overnight mooring later in the day.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, if you are thinking of traversing Yarmouth, it would be a good idea to check the tides beforehand. Sometimes during our winter breaks we've decided not to attempt it as slack water at Yarmouth has been before/after sunrise/sunset. If you have a fortnight I expect it will be doable for about half that period.

• Thanks 1

Hi Paul Yes you will get a map of the entire system along with other brochure's of what is about,   I would advise staying the night you can then unpack at lasure have a slow look around the boat and find out what you forgot then Stalham is just outside the yard to pick up anything you need plus if your new to boating and have any thing your not sure off the yard is on hand, you will also find moorings will be more plentiful as the herd will have left by the time you get there,   there are moorings that are crammed full on certain days and empty the next,   by following a day behind it will be much more relaxing. we often spend three or four weeks just doing the North rivers then do the same down the South.   John

• Thanks 1

As you’re afloat for two weeks , I would consider staying your first evening at Richardson’s , and head off the next morning as opposed to joining the many seeking moorings late afternoon .

As total “virgins” a recommendation would be to practice stern and side on mooring in the basin in the morning a couple of times to get used to your boats and your own capabilities , remember slow and steady and if you feel you’ve got the angle wrong then go around and start again .

remember to print off your forum  Logo and hope to see you afloat , what boat are you on?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alpha craft 32 , a nice go anywhere boat , especially with the river levels as they have been of late.

Remember when you turn the wheel you have almost 30ft behind you which will sweep quite a large arc.

If you have one bring an oil filled radiator with you to keep the chill off overnight when on shore power (card available from most boatyards or can order from Yare house by post) overnight will cost about £2 on low continuous heat don’t use radiator (or fan heater) on inverter ever though , knackers the batteries !!!

if not on shore power your warm air vented heating is efficient but can be noisy and shouldn’t be run overnight 

• Thanks 1