Men Vs Women

LondonGuy

I can helm a boat just as good as any man thank you very much, I was six years old when I first sat at the helm on my Dads knee. I haven't once had an accident or hit anything, well maybe the bank a few times but no one saw :default_biggrin:

Oh and I've had one accident driving my car and it wasn't my fault x

• Like 2
  • Love 2

51 minutes ago, LondonGuy said:

Hi, virgin boater here.

Are boats like cars - men are SO MUCH better at parking them? :default_eusa_naughty:

Do you and your female partner share the boat 'driving' or is it a male pursuit?

It’s a male pursuit. Your wife’s task is to make all the decisions as to:

which way to go

where to moor

which pubs to visit

when you should put the kettle on

when you should pour her a glass of wine

what takeaway you should order

when you should wash up

With all these difficult decisions to make, you surely wouldn’t expect her to assist you in the easy matter of helming the boat would you! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Er hum! Is this a troll post? In our case I do the helming and my husband looks after the mooring ropes. Also, I take exception to the implication that women are worse at parking than men. 

Ditto. Exactly the same. 

@LondonGuy just what was the point in your post other than winding us up with such a sexist remark?!

• Like 4

Many years ago, when I was much fitter and younger, and sailed offshore, it always surprised me that most men insisted that they helmed the boat when mooring to a buoy, leaving the attractive other half hanging out through the pulpit to try and pick up the buoy.

It occurred to me many times, that the whole process could be easier and much less stressful, if the roles were reversed!

• Like 2

Selsie freely admits Im much better at helming than him. We both find it far more relaxing if I do that part, but I also admit I have only moored up under the tuition of JanetAnne twice and havent tried since.

I will practice mooring once the season has ended and the rivers go quiet.  There hasnt been any opportunity this year as its been too busy.   We would happily carry on with the roles we are good at but it’s always in the back of my mind that if something went wrong, like Selsie knocked himself out or something, I need to be able to know I can get the boat back to safety.

Im fairly certain after all the recent time we’ve been out this year, I would be ok but Im looking forward to knowing I can definitely moor up on my own.

• Like 3

Never had a problem mooring a boat large or otherwise and have successfully parked all manner of vehicles, large saloons,  large estate cars,  commercial vehicles even a tipper truck and  a towed horse box.  I'm not the exception. That women can't park is a myth perpetrated by insecure males!

Carole

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Im fairly certain after all the recent time we’ve been out this year, I would be ok but Im looking forward to knowing I can definitely moor up on my own.

You're sure to be fine. I'm the most unsure person around and even I have realised it's just a matter of practise, and proper planning.

oh...and also having the confidence to tell your partner what you want them to do (like undo the bow/stern rope first). Nothing worse than miscommunication when setting off or mooring 

• Like 2

I know my place!!  I helm, the wife knits, does her cross stitch or plays games on her tablet.  If I ask nicely, she will take the helm to allow me a few minutes to take a couple of photos, or to answer a call of nature, although whilst I’m up, I usually have to make a cuppa as compensation!!:default_hiding:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

oh...and also having the confidence to tell your partner what you want them to do (like undo the bow/stern rope first). Nothing worse than miscommunication when setting off or mooring 

I think thats why ive been reluctant to change roles. We currently both know exactly what we are doing and whos doing what so to reverse it may upset the applecart! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lulu said:

if something went wrong, like Selsie knocked himself out

I think LG should note the words "knocked himself out" in case his female crew decide his attitude requires some correction.

After all, what happens onboard stays onboard 😁

• Haha 5

Right. I'm going to step out onto the thin ice on this one, but please remember I am using generalisations for which there are a multitude of exceptions.

Lets take three types of "driver". 

You have the F1 racing driver, the average car driver and the boat helmsperson.

Taking the middle ground the average car driver, both the best and the worst drivers I have come across were female. If we use the insurance companies as the "rule of thumb" they hold both gender as pretty much equal. each with their good traits, each with their bad.

With F1 the requirement is for aggressive driving, risk taking and instant decisions being made in 1000ths of a second. This tends to be something that leans to the male of the species.

Boating requires thinking ahead, forecasting the elements and measured approaches. This plays straight to the females strengths. A lady who is experienced in boating will out perform her male counterpart almost every time.

So why so few lady helmspersons? 

Well in my opinion it is just because they are rarely given the chance. The Alpha male will always take the helm, and the "little lady" will always let him.... which is a great shame!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2